Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2012, 12:04 AM

4,287 posts, read 10,768,500 times

Advertisements

Best Buy is a poorly run organization which has bad customer service and barely competitive prices. I think a lot of people have no other option which is there only hope.

I dont shop at Best Buy because I have a PC Richards (similar store) local to me. There will always be some kind of electronics/appliance place like Best Buy around though. These places tend to constantly rise and fall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2012, 07:56 AM

7,943 posts, read 17,254,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Broken business model: See also Circuit City, Tweeter, Sound Advice etc.

Brick and Mortar stores (and employees) are expensive and honestly when was the last time you bought a electronic device that was bad out of the box?
This last Christmas, I bought an LCD monitor that had a dead pixel. I luckily bought it at Best Buy where I took it back and swapped it out. Had I have ordered online, I may not have even been able to exchange it as many online retailers have a "dead pixel policy" and even if I could, it would have taken 1-2 weeks of get through the process.

Old 09-02-2012, 08:07 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,922,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
Best Buy is a poorly run organization which has bad customer service and barely competitive prices. I think a lot of people have no other option which is there only hope.

I dont shop at Best Buy because I have a PC Richards (similar store) local to me. There will always be some kind of electronics/appliance place like Best Buy around though. These places tend to constantly rise and fall.
I buy at Amazon. The nearest Best Buy for me is an hour away (40 miles) and does not stock anything like the range of products I can get at Amazon. Neither are their prices competitive with Amazon. Last week I ordered a new Nikkon lens through Amazon and it arrived next day. Even I didn't expect that.

Only once have I needed to activate the Amazon guarantee and they honored that perfectly.

Old 09-06-2012, 02:27 PM

3,718 posts, read 5,696,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post
Has anyone researched what is going on with Amazon? They are having to bring in sales tax payments gradually and I believe 30 states will have it by 2016. Amazon faces ALOT of challenges.
Can you elaborate on this more? I am curious to know more about it. Thanks.

Old 09-06-2012, 02:48 PM

1,201 posts, read 4,046,153 times
I never shop at BB so I don't care, but this was hilarious.

Old 09-11-2012, 10:37 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,578,205 times
Last time I walked into a BB was to purchase an auxilary cable for my car. When I saw it was $20 I checked Amazon and saw that they had the same exact cable for $8. I purchased it from Amazon while still in BB and walked out.

Old 09-12-2012, 01:51 PM

3,515 posts, read 7,783,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
JC Penny's, Kmart and Sears, Best Buy who were recent onetime giants are on the downhill. Kmart and sears will be gone within 5 years. JC Pennys and Bestbuy will be out of business in 10 years.

Walmart will be starting on it downhill slide but it will hold on for a while.

... Now you can get all sorts of everything from Amazon, which is hard to beat.
I don't believe this. While I agree anything electronic wise will be purchased online, stores that specialize in mostly clothing are here to stay. People like to try clothing on, see how they feel and look. Nothing technology wise is going to replace that. I've read stories where companies are creating ways to see how clothing will fit on you, but it's not the same as feeling it, touching it, etc. So I can't see places like JCPenney, Macy's and Walmart going out of business. They may change there product lines to accommodate the changing marketplace. But I think they are here to stay, regardless of how much cheaper online shopping becomes.

Old 09-13-2012, 04:37 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
When my computer crashed a couple of years ago, I had a replacement up and running online within three hours. thanks to Best Buy. When I split a sole on a walking shoe, I had a replacement pair on my feet walking through the Walmart checkout lane 2 hours later. When I need a new Sharpie, I don't have to pay 3.99 for shipping if I can find one at a mortar store. When I buy a new pair of jeans, I can try them on at the store, and not have to drive to the UPS depot to ship four pairs back.

I guess I'm just old-fashioned, and not a hipster.

Old 09-13-2012, 06:31 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
I actually disagree with this. The quality and price of electronics at Walmart is VERY good and VERY competitive. My only gripe with this scenario is that I hate being FORCED to support Walmart.
Yep 'I could bet thr price at wal-mart when I bought a top line HD set. Witrh there return its even better. One shopuld always price shop tho as I bought the same model refigerator at much lower price at best buy about 6 months ago. the prive was like 1/3 diffeence with the sale compared to others for same.

Old 09-20-2012, 04:51 PM

1,523 posts, read 3,901,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
I don't go there for the same reasons.

Beyond that, my husband can repair most electronics and computers himself. We rarely buy any tech new, preferring to get it used from CL or eBay and repairing it if need be. I think the last time we bought anything from there was back in 2007 or so.

When we first moved out here to WA, we both applied for any and all jobs, regardless of what they were. One of the ones my husband applied for was at Best Buy. He got a call a few days later from an HR manager at the central office. She started asking him the standard interview questions, then in the middle of it, I guess stopped and looked at her screen and realized that there wasn't even an open position where he applied period then blamed him for applying to it. Like he put up the job ad for that position himself. Whatever, lady, it was a position right on your website. It was ridiculous and very unprofessional. Never again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business