Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2012, 03:43 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,683,956 times

Advertisements

After years of fighting drugs in the work place now this!

" Pot may be legal, but workers may want to check with their boss first before they grab the pipe or joint during off hours. Businesses in Washington state, where the drug is legal, and Colorado, where it will be by January, are trying to figure out how to deal with employees who use it on their own time and then fail a drug test."

News from The Associated Press

I can see the legions of lawyers licking their lips over this one!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2012, 03:54 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Pipes View Post
Legal pot complicates drug-free work policies
Nah. Not even the idiots need much help to sort out these possible hurdles.

In short: "Don't do X at work. Got it?"
Issue solved.

Old 12-09-2012, 04:02 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,911,642 times
Companies can refuse to hire you if you drink or smoke now. Why should pot be any different. What really complicates things is it is still illegal at the Federal level.

Old 12-09-2012, 04:12 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Companies can refuse to hire you if you drink or smoke now. Why should pot be any different. What really complicates things is it is still illegal at the Federal level.
Exactly. We already received a reminder to all employees by email that we are a drug-free workplace despite the new law.

Old 12-10-2012, 12:26 PM

4,761 posts, read 14,290,523 times
Four different people tried training a certain guy at a place I used to work. He would learn quickly, then the next day not remember ANYTHING he learned the day before!

It turns out he was a heavy pot smoker and that was wrecking his memory. Businesses are not going to put up with that!

Up in Smoke: Marijuana Toasts Memory | LiveScience

Old 12-10-2012, 01:08 PM

5,342 posts, read 6,168,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Exactly. We already received a reminder to all employees by email that we are a drug-free workplace despite the new law.
Interesting. This was my immediate question when I saw it passed in Washington and Colorado.

Old 12-10-2012, 01:33 PM

1,475 posts, read 2,556,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
It turns out he was a heavy pot smoker and that was wrecking his memory. Businesses are not going to put up with that!
That's not how pot works. From what I understand when the receptor sites shutdown and the chemical clears you have the same memory set as before the chemical was introduced to the blood stream.

In other words the person would probably only forget stuff that was taught to them while under the influence. That's not to say the person wasn't high at work, but it's best to be clear on things. For example why were you so quick to *believe* the report? Sounds like maybe there's an issue here. Maybe it would be best for you to be tested?

Old 12-11-2012, 12:04 PM

4,761 posts, read 14,290,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_CD View Post
That's not how pot works. From what I understand when the receptor sites shutdown and the chemical clears you have the same memory set as before the chemical was introduced to the blood stream.

In other words the person would probably only forget stuff that was taught to them while under the influence. That's not to say the person wasn't high at work, but it's best to be clear on things. For example why were you so quick to *believe* the report? Sounds like maybe there's an issue here. Maybe it would be best for you to be tested?
Note: I provided a link from a reputable source to back up what I said.

Old 12-11-2012, 12:08 PM

1,475 posts, read 2,556,371 times
Quote:
So, are you saying you think they should be tested too?

Old 12-11-2012, 03:07 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Did you read the article?
Can you critique for causal vs incidental or parse for weak associations?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business