Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 09:40 AM

23,867 posts, read 24,099,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
I will write appropriate specs and hire the best qualified contractor. Level of the bids is secondary.
I think the implication of the post you responded to was that everyone who showed up would equally qualified. The poster was using an analogy to illustrate the idea being discussed, which is that entry level jobs can be done equally well by just about anyone, and that the determining factor when hiring for these positions is cost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2012, 09:45 AM

23,867 posts, read 24,099,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Still waiting for my trickle down...
With your attitude, you'll be waiting forever.

You want more? Go earn it. Be proactive about your path in life and stop waiting for success to be handed to you on a silver platter.

Old 12-06-2012, 02:01 PM

1,835 posts, read 3,265,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Actually, they don't flip the burgers anymore. McDonalds figured out if you make the job simple enough, you can hire damn near anyone, for damn near any wage. That logic has been applied to many other sectors of the economy. Reduce the need for skills, and you can reduce your labor expenses. If not that, than find ways to eliminate jobs. It's all in the name of competition. Hire one skilled guy, make him do the work of three people and pay him 20% more. Seems to be quite an effective strategy. In this economy, you can push a worker to the brink and squeeze every last ounce of productivity out of them... And they will tolerate it.

Recession over??? Not if your a working class American. Wages down, productivity up, record corporate profits... And people like to pretend America is no longer competitive...

Still waiting for my trickle down...
Waiting for your trickle down or waiting with your hand out!? I suspect its the latter.

Old 12-06-2012, 02:57 PM

344 posts, read 427,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Agreed

Most workers at union shops seem to think so. What skill does a union grocery store checker have a WM checker doesn't.
I hear all the time:

Quote:
"But how is someone supposed to raise a Family on that salary?"
Those jobs are for teenagers and college students. They salaries are not intended to raise families on.

Old 12-06-2012, 02:59 PM

344 posts, read 427,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
My question to you; who defines what a "skilled" worker is? Besides you do realize that illegals and foreign nationals are being either brought in or hired abroad to do these "skilled" jobs you talk about that everybody should be trying to get, right?
This may come as a surprise to you, but the market place defines a "skilled" worker. The problem is that Government has decided to try and replace the laws of economics.

Old 12-06-2012, 05:17 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,200,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Walk into a Costco and then a Walmart. Costco is clean, fast paced and everyone is hustling. Walmart seems like it is in slow motion, lots of employees but not too many sweating from hustling all day like the Costco ones do. But then again look at the shoppers of the two stores. Walmart shoppers actually have their own website: Funny Pictures at WalMart

Costco shoppers are there for buying, in/out quick and they spend a lot of money per trip. Heck you even have to pay to shop there (membership). Walmart....well look at the pics and you decide WTF they are doing there! I couldn't imagine Walmart asking shoppers to buy a membership!
Sam's Club (walmart's outlet story) they do charge a membership.

We jobs Cosco recently and have enjoyed it. Nice friendly customer and ataff. I've stopped several shoppers to ask about how they like a product in their cart. Amazing how friendly and helpful they are. Every time we go we find another great bargain that we have been paying elsewhere.

I saw something saying Cosco pays 42% more on average, 85% have health care insurance and the CEO earn under $400k. Good enuf for me. We need to reward employers that pay a fair wage.

Yep, ppl of Walmart is funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
I think the implication of the post you responded to was that everyone who showed up would equally qualified. The poster was using an analogy to illustrate the idea being discussed, which is that entry level jobs can be done equally well by just about anyone, and that the determining factor when hiring for these positions is cost.
I deal with reality, everyone isn't equally qualified. There are hundreds of factors to consider in hiring, on both sides, money should never be your first or only metric. Unless you like hiring, training, hiring, training, it is best to take a long term view. I have been on both sides of maybe a hundred job interviews, no two went the same. Every person is different and it is the skill of finding an employee who will fit the job today and can help grow your business and grow themselves. Going for the "low bidder" invites failure. Cosco vs Sam's Club is a perfect example. Cosco pays more, hires long term and has a happy any motivated workforce. Sam's, not so much.

Old 12-06-2012, 07:41 PM

5,342 posts, read 6,165,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Walk into a Costco and then a Walmart. Costco is clean, fast paced and everyone is hustling. Walmart seems like it is in slow motion, lots of employees but not too many sweating from hustling all day like the Costco ones do. But then again look at the shoppers of the two stores. Walmart shoppers actually have their own website: Funny Pictures at WalMart

Costco shoppers are there for buying, in/out quick and they spend a lot of money per trip. Heck you even have to pay to shop there (membership). Walmart....well look at the pics and you decide WTF they are doing there! I couldn't imagine Walmart asking shoppers to buy a membership!
They are two completely different retail stores.

Here's a great article on that topic.

Why Can

Quote:
Sam's Club (walmart's outlet story) they do charge a membership.

We jobs Cosco recently and have enjoyed it. Nice friendly customer and ataff. I've stopped several shoppers to ask about how they like a product in their cart. Amazing how friendly and helpful they are. Every time we go we find another great bargain that we have been paying elsewhere.

I saw something saying Cosco pays 42% more on average, 85% have health care insurance and the CEO earn under $400k. Good enuf for me. We need to reward employers that pay a fair wage.

Yep, ppl of Walmart is funny.

I deal with reality, everyone isn't equally qualified. There are hundreds of factors to consider in hiring, on both sides, money should never be your first or only metric. Unless you like hiring, training, hiring, training, it is best to take a long term view. I have been on both sides of maybe a hundred job interviews, no two went the same. Every person is different and it is the skill of finding an employee who will fit the job today and can help grow your business and grow themselves. Going for the "low bidder" invites failure. Cosco vs Sam's Club is a perfect example. Cosco pays more, hires long term and has a happy any motivated workforce. Sam's, not so much.
looks like the CEO makes a little more than 400k.

http://www.reuters.com/finance/stock...fficerId=64972

Old 12-06-2012, 08:22 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,200,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzourah2006 View Post
They are two completely different retail stores.

Here's a great article on that topic.

Why Can

looks like the CEO makes a little more than 400k.

Stock Quotes & Company News | Reuters.com
Yeah, the salary story in 2005 was $350k plus a bonus, of course a new guy took over this year.

Old 12-07-2012, 06:57 AM

5,342 posts, read 6,165,546 times
Quote:
Yeah, the salary story in 2005 was $350k plus a bonus, of course a new guy took over this year.
Actually the current pay structure is in alignment between Costco and Walmart for their CEOs.

Walmart revenue: 447 billion

Costco revenue: 71.4 billion

Walmart has revenues over 6x Costco (6.2x to be exact)

Walmart CEO: 18.1 million

Costco CEO: 3.35 million

Walmart CEO makes 5.4x times Costco CEO.

Seems in alignment to me.

Old 12-07-2012, 07:01 AM

17,285 posts, read 22,013,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzourah2006 View Post
Actually the current pay structure is in alignment between Costco and Walmart for their CEOs.

Walmart revenue: 447 billion

Costco revenue: 71.4 billion

Walmart has revenues over 6x Costco (6.2x to be exact)

Walmart CEO: 18.1 million

Costco CEO: 3.35 million

Walmart CEO makes 5.4x times Costco CEO.

Seems in alignment to me.

Also pretty sure outgoing CEO was the founder of Costco so somewhat of a Steve Jobs pay scale ($1 year salary) and made most of his money in the stock. Walmart CEO is a hired gun, not a founder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business