Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 03:42 PM

52 posts, read 73,797 times

Advertisements

Anyone have any experience in this? If so, about how long did it take for you to start bringing in income? And what's the average income for beginners?

All the research I have done online has made it crystal clear that beginners should not blog for the money and that it could take years to make a profit.

But, besides that research, it would be great to hear from someone who has actually gone through it or can offer some good advice.

TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2014, 04:29 PM

2,347 posts, read 3,335,922 times
Blog=freelance writing=everyone and their brother does it. Blogs and bloggers are available by the ton for pennies. 95% of all blogs have exactly one reader: the blogger him/herself. What do you plan to blog about? What makes you think that your subject is different from the billions of other blogs and message forums already out there?

I started a website a few years ago. I made a little advertising and donation revenues after about a year. It wasn't anything to live on. But it was something. After five years, I sold it and made some money (but again not much) because of my changing interests and getting burned out on maintaining it. And that was after building a respectable following, substantial Google rankings, and unique visitors (which are not to be confused with page views).

Perhaps you might want to try that. Instead of a blog, which is essentially an online diary, why not try and identify an area of interest that few or no other sites pay attention to and build a site based on it? That means a message forum area, yes, an area to blog your daily thoughts, a resources and links area (that's where you start getting some exposure and monetary potential), and try that route?

Aspiring bloggers are not at all dissimilar to young college age people who move to Los Angeles thinking they will be the next Brad Pitt or Tom Hanks. It's like winning the lottery: some will actually succeed, but 99.999999% of them will end up waiting tables or finally throwing in the towel and moving onto a real job once reality catches up to them.

If you want to know about the site I started and what I did and didn't do, feel free to PM me. It's still online but ran by the new owner.

Old 05-12-2014, 04:51 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,122,798 times
Don't start a blog expecting to get paid for it. Start a blog because you want to write about a subject you're passionate about.

IF your blog ever becomes popular, THEN you can start thinking about ways to monetize it, but don't delude yourself into believing that by starting a blog, you're doing anything other than creating a sinkhole into which you're going to deposit all of your free time.

Old 05-13-2014, 12:35 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,551,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Don't start a blog expecting to get paid for it. Start a blog because you want to write about a subject you're passionate about.

IF your blog ever becomes popular, THEN you can start thinking about ways to monetize it, but don't delude yourself into believing that by starting a blog, you're doing anything other than creating a sinkhole into which you're going to deposit all of your free time.
I agree with this.

Old 05-13-2014, 01:09 PM

Thanks for the insight, guys.

Old 05-13-2014, 01:13 PM

A special thanks to you. I will pm you when I get to a computer. My phone's internet isn't allowing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Des-Lab View Post
Blog=freelance writing=everyone and their brother does it. Blogs and bloggers are available by the ton for pennies. 95% of all blogs have exactly one reader: the blogger him/herself. What do you plan to blog about? What makes you think that your subject is different from the billions of other blogs and message forums already out there?

I started a website a few years ago. I made a little advertising and donation revenues after about a year. It wasn't anything to live on. But it was something. After five years, I sold it and made some money (but again not much) because of my changing interests and getting burned out on maintaining it. And that was after building a respectable following, substantial Google rankings, and unique visitors (which are not to be confused with page views).

Perhaps you might want to try that. Instead of a blog, which is essentially an online diary, why not try and identify an area of interest that few or no other sites pay attention to and build a site based on it? That means a message forum area, yes, an area to blog your daily thoughts, a resources and links area (that's where you start getting some exposure and monetary potential), and try that route?

Aspiring bloggers are not at all dissimilar to young college age people who move to Los Angeles thinking they will be the next Brad Pitt or Tom Hanks. It's like winning the lottery: some will actually succeed, but 99.999999% of them will end up waiting tables or finally throwing in the towel and moving onto a real job once reality catches up to them.

If you want to know about the site I started and what I did and didn't do, feel free to PM me. It's still online but ran by the new owner.

Old 05-13-2014, 01:49 PM

4,003 posts, read 6,103,368 times
I make anywhere from $100 to $350 a month blogging. I have basically 3 major blogs I actually focus time and effort on and then maybe another 8 blogs on various topics I did kind of halfas jobs on, not really subjects I'm interested in more so just stuff I thought would have high paying keywords.

It's wierd I don't really feel like I'm making any more money having multiple blogs than I was having one or two, although all that said in the past year or so I've been focusing most of my time on my ecommerce business as it brings in much more money with much less time but even totallly passively I'm still clearing at least $100 to get a check from google.

I think 99% of bloggers start and give up as soon as they realize its not easy money. I use wordpress for one blog but am so comfortable using blogger I use that for all my other blogs.

I would recommend getting at least 20 high quality articles bettr yet 50 before applying for advertising programs. You could go a couple diff routes, sell ad space yourself to the end user so someone in your niche, you can use content focused advertising like adsense which is pay per click or you could do pay per action which would be more of an affiliate program. Amazon and ebay partnner network used to be great I dont make much off them anymore mainly adsense. I hate ebay amazon is still decent.

Feel free to ask more questions if you have more.

Old 05-13-2014, 01:51 PM

4,003 posts, read 6,103,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Des-Lab View Post

This is a great point. If you try to write about xbox or gaming or sports your never going to get readers, too much competition out there. You want a very small niche so for example if I'm going to blog about motorcycles I want to narrow that down to motorcycles>japanese motorcycles > suzuki motorcycles > suzuki motorcycle seats. As you can see you keep narrowing theniche. Now the narrower the niche the less readers but also the less competition.

Old 05-13-2014, 06:40 PM

795 posts, read 1,269,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LTJoy View Post
Anyone have any experience in this? If so, about how long did it take for you to start bringing in income? And what's the average income for beginners?

All the research I have done online has made it crystal clear that beginners should not blog for the money and that it could take years to make a profit.

But, besides that research, it would be great to hear from someone who has actually gone through it or can offer some good advice.

TIA!
I tried many years ago and failed....

But I was speaking to a guy the other day and he said blog, youtube, and facebook combo is working well for him. Not sure how long or how much money he is making.

Old 05-13-2014, 07:27 PM

2,347 posts, read 3,335,922 times
I hope that wasn't sarcasm. My post wasn't intended to poke holes in your dreams just for the fun of it. As far as I can tell, it was pretty much the simple truth; if it wasn't, then by now someone would've came along and attempted to rip ME to shreds.

While what you are proposing isn't impossible, it IS extraordinarily difficult with odds of success stacked pretty solidly against you. Like I said, you are welcome to converse with me privately to go over your ideas and I can show you what I did, how I did it, what worked, and what didn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business