Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2014, 02:38 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKUK View Post
And the sad thing is according to that, metro Detroit has a higher percentage of millionaires than Los Angeles!!

New York City and Silicon Valley are at the top per capita.

Los Angeles large population is the only thing that keeps it functioning.
Yes and if welfare levels were cut to be more in line with the rest of the country based on population, you would definitely see things being a lot different too.
A lot of the business we do have is being supported by welfare money, EBT, SNAP,etc especially in certain areas.

according to a new, more comprehensive U.S. Census poverty measure which considers more factors than the old reckoning of poverty, California has proportionately 45 percent more people living in poverty than does Texas.[LEFT]
Read more: California has grown welfare while Texas has grown jobs, and soft tyranny is to blame | The Daily Caller
[/LEFT]

We have 12% of the nation's population , but 28% of the welfare recipients!...Not good..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2014, 02:47 PM

1,224 posts, read 1,824,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
I really gotta get back up to the boat yard! One last post!

What the hell do those unemployment numbers have to do with what I just wrote? I didn't say anything aboout unemployment? The unemployment rate in California is dropping rapidly after a super hard hit in the recession. Job growth in the state is proceeding at leading national rates. If we lost a Toyota every month but continued to gain at the rate we have in the past year, we'd still be going positive at a rate faster than housing can keep up with.

Now back to finding splinters.
Try to answer this truthfully, do you actually know what the U-6 measurement of unemployment is? You can go ahead and do your Tulemutt "The Google Wiki Warior" act, but the fact that you posted the above shows me you didn't know before hand.

Old 04-29-2014, 03:13 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,701,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
You are welcome.

I sometimes wonder.

Talented people actually WANT to be here. Why would anyone pick TX over CA were it not due to huge financial incentives. Imagine if we made it easier for them to grow their businesses HERE.

I dont believe in wrecking the environment and treating workers like crap tho, so how can we find middle ground?

Oh, and QOL I am so saddened by the number of awesome young couples I know personally that adore living here but choose to leave in order to afford a nice house, decent schools and relative low crime. In the bay youd need to drop what? 1.5 million? In Utah its like 400,000.

But I digress.
The balance is gone.

This is what happens when one political party get too much power.

Old 04-29-2014, 03:34 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,417,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKUK View Post
And the sad thing is according to that, metro Detroit has a higher percentage of millionaires than Los Angeles!!

New York City and Silicon Valley are at the top per capita.

Los Angeles large population is the only thing that keeps it functioning.
New York City's median income is only $2000 higher than Los Angeles (and $5000 lower than LA County). The fact that NYC has more billionaires/millionaires only shows how awful the income gap is in that city.

Old 04-29-2014, 03:34 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,607,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
Sen. Ted Lieu, of Torrance, is one of the legislatures most left-leaning, anti-business Democrats too. He's always trying to out-left the leftiest Democrats from the SF Bay Area. Ironic, ain't it? Maybe this will be a wake-up call...Kinda hard to ignore when it's your very own district.
Lieu's running for Congress, and will probably be the successor to the retiring Henry Waxman.

Old 04-29-2014, 03:48 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,563,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
New employees can afford a home in Texas which progressives like to ignore when they whine about inequality and low wages...... They chose to ignore the role high living costs play in the issue.
Actually, pretty much all of them readily acknowledge the high cost of housing, which is a function of demand. No need to over-complicate this: one is relatively more affordable, the other is relatively more desirable

Old 04-29-2014, 03:56 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Sorry to side track, but I hear San Antonio is sending a delegation to talk to some condiment producer that has had issues with "spicy air pollution" about relocating from California.

If y'all could go picket that company for a few days, we'd be much obliged.

Old 04-29-2014, 03:56 PM

7,891 posts, read 11,410,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
Actually, pretty much all of them readily acknowledge the high cost of housing, which is a function of demand. No need to over-complicate this: one is relatively more affordable, the other is relatively more desirable
Its more than demand... regs and zoning (proffers) play a role too. Limiting supply is at play too.

Old 04-29-2014, 04:04 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Sorry to side track, but I hear San Antonio is sending a delegation to talk to some condiment producer that has had issues with "spicy air pollution" about relocating from California.

If y'all could go picket that company for a few days, we'd be much obliged.
Jason Villalba, a rep from Dallas is doing the same to get them in Denton County.

Old 04-29-2014, 04:09 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,356,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExeterMedia View Post
The thing is, when does it stop? Battery plants, okay, I get the aversion to those. But you also have the NIMBYs shutting down the Siracha plant down here in SoCal because of "spicy smells". It's like everyone here wants their own cheap, unmolested paradise, but then they complain about the state losing jobs and high unemployment in general. Can't have it both ways.
Well, actually that has an advantage - you encourage the growth of the renewable energy industry, which has grown quite a bit in California. Contrast that with the state (Arizona? Oklahoma?) that decided to slap a monthly levy on those homeowners using solar energy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business