Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2014, 10:59 PM

122 posts, read 188,199 times

Advertisements

I ordered some Papa John's last week, and it was literally the most disgusting thing I've ever put in my mouth. The funny thing is, I've eaten Papa John's a few times in the past, in other locales, and felt the same way. So why did I order from there? Well, I was in a new city, didn't really have a favorited local pizza joint, so I just ordered from a familiar brand name. The same can be said for McDonald's. Their food tastes like garbage and it makes you feel like garbage, but people still buy it and eat it.

This got me thinking about branding, then how you don't really need a quality product at all.

Making a sale is all about the perception, not about the reality. If the customer has buyer's remorse, big deal. You have their money. Wait a few weeks, let them see a few ads of you sitting next to a football hero, and they'll eventually associate your brand with trustworthiness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2014, 06:00 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,717,779 times
I've never eaten that stuff (or other chain pizza) because the ads look disgusting, but their success is based on what you said - it is familiar. Plenty of people are afraid to try something new or bother to do even the slightest research about alternatives. With so many online review of even local pizza joints, it's not that hard to find an alternative, but I guess for some, that's too much work. I don't think it's about perception - you knew yourself it would be disgusting - it's about familiarity and convenience.

Old 11-08-2014, 06:25 AM

4,668 posts, read 3,900,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
I've never eaten that stuff (or other chain pizza) because the ads look disgusting, but their success is based on what you said - it is familiar. Plenty of people are afraid to try something new or bother to do even the slightest research about alternatives. With so many online review of even local pizza joints, it's not that hard to find an alternative, but I guess for some, that's too much work. I don't think it's about perception - you knew yourself it would be disgusting - it's about familiarity and convenience.
I disagree I think Papa Johns is pretty good, I really like the buttery garlic flavor on the crust. Obviously there are many people who like it, it's the 2nd largest pizza chain in the world. However, I do think Dominoes was terrible and I don't know how they survived so long before the brand reinvented itself. Huge chains didn't get that big because of familiarity and convenience, somebody likes their food. Most cities have good local pizza places, and many are better then the chain pizza restaurants.

I own a Chinese restaurant and recently had a Panda Express move into my city, I personally think their food is terrible, but obviously some people like it, otherwise nobody would go in the first place.

Old 11-08-2014, 08:16 AM

2,341 posts, read 3,497,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelingBluesBrother View Post
I ordered some Papa John's last week, and it was literally the most disgusting thing I've ever put in my mouth. The funny thing is, I've eaten Papa John's a few times in the past, in other locales, and felt the same way.
Untold Millions of people like to eat Papa John's pizza.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelingBluesBrother View Post
The same can be said for McDonald's. Their food tastes like garbage and it makes you feel like garbage, but people still buy it and eat it.
Millions and Millions of people all over the world eat,
like, and comeback for more McDonald's food.

It's simple ... Think on this line ... God made you with different taste buds,
which do not favor Papa John's or McDonald's food.

If everyone like just one brand then all of the others would be out of business.

Old 11-08-2014, 08:18 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
I don't like their pizza either, nor Dominoes, Round Table, or the other chains. Papa Murphy's is a little better since you cook it yourself so it's right out of the oven, but e have some local pizza places that are much better, and we prefer to eat there. The chain pizza places do well because they are cheaper, convenient and deliver. It's a matter of time and money.

Old 11-08-2014, 03:38 PM

2,914 posts, read 2,689,002 times
People who think Pappa Johns, Dominoes and other frozen pizza chains have good pizza have never tasted hand tossed pizza. Night and day.

I tried Dominoes for the first time in years after they were advertising their "new recipe". Horrible! Tasted so dry, literally like "fast food pizza". Domonoes, Pappa Johns and the rest of the frozen chains are like glorified store bought pizza places. Essentially they just cook it for you.

Old 11-08-2014, 03:57 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,591,383 times
I'm amused by pizza snobs

Old 11-08-2014, 04:08 PM

2,916 posts, read 3,001,526 times
If an individual is home alone on a Friday night watching Neflix, they'll probably order from a high quality pizza place. That is, if there's great pizza to be had nearby. People often assume that because THEY have access to good, local pizza that OTHERS also have this good fortune.

Papa John's, Pizza Hut and Dominoes are great for parties, club meetings etc. If I'm throwing a work party for 30 people and need to order a bunch of pizza, it'll much cheaper and easier to deal with Pizza Hut than with a mom-and-pop joint. The chains aren't great, but you know exactly what you're getting and it will probably be more cost effective in bulk. A mom and pop may have much higher quality pizza, but they also have a unique style that may not appeal to half the people in the group. Better to have 30 people feeling "so-so" or "OK" than to have 15 people loving the food and 15 that hate it.

Old 11-08-2014, 04:30 PM

2,453 posts, read 3,607,521 times
We especially love Papa John's in Denver because pizzas are half-price the day after the Denver Broncos win a football game.

(Peyton Manning owns 21 franchises in the area.)

Old 11-09-2014, 08:30 AM

1,143 posts, read 1,080,347 times
Quote:
Peyton Manning owns 21 franchises in the area.
Now I really hate Papa Johns..

Patriot fan..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business