Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 04:23 PM

5 posts, read 19,249 times

Advertisements

No employees, no overly expensive equipment, little overhead beyond water usage, utilities, soap and insurance.

Finding the best location to attract volume is the only hard part of the battle.

After that, you hook up the hoses, the soap dispensers, the vacuums and the coin/credit card takers.

Then sit back and relax as people come and actually pay you to wash their own car.

Easy peasy Japanesey?

And PS: Where else other than a car wash can you get people to spend $3.00 bucks for an air freshener that they can get in the automotive section at Walgreens for 99 cents for a pack? Ca-Ching!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2015, 07:14 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,896,255 times
I tried to buy a carwash about 5 years ago. Contacted the owner and he wouldn't show me any documents showing income/profit. That ended that, but I do know soneone who owns 2 and says it does good for him. According to him they have low profit margins, but they don't take a lot of time, effort, or cost. Just the up front costs can be high. Location is everything.

Old 04-21-2015, 07:58 PM

3,930 posts, read 6,440,844 times
Depends on where they are, terms of the site lease (most are on leased sites), competition, environmental requirements.

For example, very bad investment in Nevada, California. Questionable in the northeast due to weather (short season) and environmental regs. In Texas, they are putting up low-cost tunnel car washes. Have minimal employees, but people don't want to get out of the car, while conventional car washes have declined in popularity.

So the answer is, it depends. But these are not 'ignore and let the money come in' operations. You have to service the equipment, check soap levels, have the recycle tanks regularly pumped, have security check on them at night in certain areas, etc.

Old 04-22-2015, 08:07 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,103,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrain View Post
Depends on where they are, terms of the site lease (most are on leased sites), competition, environmental requirements.

For example, very bad investment in Nevada, California. Questionable in the northeast due to weather (short season) and environmental regs. In Texas, they are putting up low-cost tunnel car washes. Have minimal employees, but people don't want to get out of the car, while conventional car washes have declined in popularity.

So the answer is, it depends. But these are not 'ignore and let the money come in' operations. You have to service the equipment, check soap levels, have the recycle tanks regularly pumped, have security check on them at night in certain areas, etc.
Yes, also bad in the more affluent areas where people prefer the full service car washes and can easily afford $11 for it. In low income areas, they can be a magnet for vandalism and theft from the coin boxes. I wouldn't attempt it if the land or land and structure is leased, the owner is likely to eventually sell for development as land value goes up. If you can find one for sale, property included, it may make some money for a while, but make sure it already has water filtration and recycling, because more and more states are requiring this under environmental laws.

Old 04-23-2015, 12:48 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,986,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayfighter1998 View Post
No employees, no overly expensive equipment, little overhead beyond water usage, utilities, soap and insurance. .......!
No employees? Nobody is going to clean, empty the trash, empty the vacuum cleaners, unplug the drains, fill the soap dispensers, service the coin boxes, and keep the machinery running? Nobody s going to make sure the homeless don't move in under the roof? Nobody cares if the locals use your parking lot as a park and ride?

No expensive equipment? Maybe you haven't priced it out yet?

Old 04-23-2015, 03:49 PM

18,547 posts, read 15,575,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
No employees? Nobody is going to clean, empty the trash, empty the vacuum cleaners, unplug the drains, fill the soap dispensers, service the coin boxes, and keep the machinery running? Nobody s going to make sure the homeless don't move in under the roof? Nobody cares if the locals use your parking lot as a park and ride?

No expensive equipment? Maybe you haven't priced it out yet?
My guess is that OP has not thought about how many cars per hour could be washed without hiring anyone else to handle the other stuff.

Old 04-23-2015, 06:09 PM

271 posts, read 384,202 times
how about a laundromat or self storage facility

Old 04-24-2015, 09:47 AM

98 posts, read 88,389 times
The water bill must be killer.

Old 04-24-2015, 09:51 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,824,019 times
Probably the one near me seems to get minimal maintenance/attention.

Old 04-24-2015, 11:20 AM

2,432 posts, read 2,689,489 times
self storage units would be better I think. We have car washes around here go out of business. I'm not sure profit wise how great it is, but not something I would choose. I'm sure you will need an employee or two to keep it maintained unless you can yourself. Costs maybe minimal, except utilities. I think finding the right location will be tough to. Here in my town of 27k pop we have 5 or 6 car washes. One of them is always busy, it's right in town, busy street. They off self serve and non self serve and it seems that non self serve is busier. I think more people rather pay the extra and not get out of the car. My husband and I always use self serve. If you locate an area with a need for it.. It might do good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business