Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2015, 03:35 PM

492 posts, read 487,055 times

Advertisements

Hi.
I need some opinion and suggestions. Shall really appreciate advice as I am not at all a financial guy.

I am looking forward to buy some real estate for investment and renting. I have been told that we should make a LLC company and buy and then rent the home in its name. This saves us from many liability issues.

I want to know...
1) What is the right time to make a LLC. Before purchasing home in personal name or after purchase of home and then transferring it.
2) If we make a LLC before, then how can that get a mortgage from bank for purchase of home. I believe banks have strict rules for investment property and not only the rate of interest is higher, they scrutinize you thoroughly. Why would they give mortgage to LLC company rather than individual since they can verify all the income tax records of individual.
3) If we purchase home in our name and have a mortgage on it, then can we transfer the home under the LLC so that while renting , it is officially rented by LLC? Will the bank allow transfer of name since the property is mortgaged? Or can the rent be under name of LLC without transferring the ownership to LLC company.
4) How should we start the process of making a LLC company? What is the approximate cost in the state of CT?
5) What are the tax implications in case we rent a property as an individual versus renting as a LLC?
Can we show that the individual gave a loan (without interest) of the down payment money to LLC to purchase property and then the part of rent is transferred back to individual from LLC as part of loan repayment? Will this help in saving tax from the rental income?

shall appreciate all help in guidance.
Thx.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2015, 08:59 PM
jw2

2,028 posts, read 3,266,879 times
You should look into Connecticut LLCs to see if they really will provide the protection you seek. You may find it won't protect you from liability as much as you have been told. Lookup [Connecticut LLC pierce] A high coverage liability policy may be better.

Old 11-07-2015, 08:32 AM

4,668 posts, read 3,899,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin100 View Post
Hi.
I need some opinion and suggestions. Shall really appreciate advice as I am not at all a financial guy.

I am looking forward to buy some real estate for investment and renting. I have been told that we should make a LLC company and buy and then rent the home in its name. This saves us from many liability issues.

I want to know...
1) What is the right time to make a LLC. Before purchasing home in personal name or after purchase of home and then transferring it.
2) If we make a LLC before, then how can that get a mortgage from bank for purchase of home. I believe banks have strict rules for investment property and not only the rate of interest is higher, they scrutinize you thoroughly. Why would they give mortgage to LLC company rather than individual since they can verify all the income tax records of individual.
3) If we purchase home in our name and have a mortgage on it, then can we transfer the home under the LLC so that while renting , it is officially rented by LLC? Will the bank allow transfer of name since the property is mortgaged? Or can the rent be under name of LLC without transferring the ownership to LLC company.
4) How should we start the process of making a LLC company? What is the approximate cost in the state of CT?
5) What are the tax implications in case we rent a property as an individual versus renting as a LLC?
Can we show that the individual gave a loan (without interest) of the down payment money to LLC to purchase property and then the part of rent is transferred back to individual from LLC as part of loan repayment? Will this help in saving tax from the rental income?

shall appreciate all help in guidance.
Thx.
1. Before you buy
2. Under a LLC, you can still use you personal income and assets to qualify. I've heard 20% down payment is common and 10 year least is most popular
3. Do llc first and it won't be that complicated, but you can transfer to llc anytime, the owner of the house has to be the LLC.
4. CT probably has an online website where you can create the LLC, or a government office where you can get the forms. It took me 10 minutes to make a LLC in Kansas once I found the website, super easy and cost me $300, CT will likely cost different amount
5. In Kansas rental income is exempt from income tax, probably not true in CT. But taxes will still be filed through your personal filing, every state will be a little different. You will have a specific tax form for rental properties. Again check CT government website.

Old 11-12-2015, 07:55 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,277,885 times
Can this person set up an llc in another state? I know of an insurance company with an llc in Delaware but no business there?

If so, what are the most businesses friendly llcs?

Old 11-16-2015, 12:02 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,899,635 times
Sure, the llc can be based in any state. But for taxation purposes many states are not good. Delaware has many special corporations that are very good. Over 50% of all corporations (not llcs) are in Delaware and for good reason. If CT has high taxes for rental properties, it may make sense to look at basing the LLC in another state, but CT may not care where the ownership is, just the properties location. I doubt anyone here knows that specific information so you will just have to research it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business