Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2016, 03:24 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,449,955 times

Advertisements

Thanks sport and misty for the insight ! That is interesting and makes sense .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2016, 06:33 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,933,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Desktop PC market is fast going the way of the Dodo. Really is amazing how fast technology moves these days. The PC revolution really took hold in the 1990's and in about a decade and a half later (more or less) are now being replaced by tablets, smart phones, lap tops, etc....
I also think of digital cameras. When I was in elementary school in the late 90s/early 2000s, my family used film cameras exclusively. Then digital cameras became all the rage and finally in 2005 my dad got a 4 megapixel camera and something like a 256 mb memory card. Soon after I got my own 4.1 mp camera with an impressive 512 mb memory card for the same price. 5+ years later and I got a 14 mp camera for under 100 bucks and a 16 gb memory card for near the same price as the 256 mb several years earlier. A couple years later I (finally) got an iPhone. It takes better pictures than my camera does and can do so much more. Pictures automatically get sent to my laptop via iCloud, I can text them, email them, edit them, and more all from my phone whereas my camera can literally only take pictures. My grandparents still have actual cameras but only because they don't have smart phones. It seems like the rise and fall of the point and shoot digital cameras came within 10 years.

Old 04-21-2016, 07:19 PM

31,904 posts, read 26,954,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
I also think of digital cameras. When I was in elementary school in the late 90s/early 2000s, my family used film cameras exclusively. Then digital cameras became all the rage and finally in 2005 my dad got a 4 megapixel camera and something like a 256 mb memory card. Soon after I got my own 4.1 mp camera with an impressive 512 mb memory card for the same price. 5+ years later and I got a 14 mp camera for under 100 bucks and a 16 gb memory card for near the same price as the 256 mb several years earlier. A couple years later I (finally) got an iPhone. It takes better pictures than my camera does and can do so much more. Pictures automatically get sent to my laptop via iCloud, I can text them, email them, edit them, and more all from my phone whereas my camera can literally only take pictures. My grandparents still have actual cameras but only because they don't have smart phones. It seems like the rise and fall of the point and shoot digital cameras came within 10 years.

Yes, digital cameras are another era.

Finally broke down and got one back in 2005 or so, barely got much use of before getting a phone that took better pictures *and* you didn't have to lug two devices around. Now if at a family event or something instead of looking for a camera, just reach for my phone.

Still have my first PC (Dell) got back in the 1990's. Built like a tank compared to what Dell offers today. Also found bunch of floppy disks (remember those?) that were used with the system. Oh and a bunch of ZIP disks as well. Need to figure out how to wipe the things before chucking. That or get a very large sledge hammer! *LOL*

Tech has changed so much so fast and fortunes have been made and lost. Remember when AOL was so powerful it purchased Time Warner? That worked out really well....

When AOL was launched it was the next big thing, now it is Facebook.... Still cannot figure out how Zuckerberg is worth billions for what amounts to a huge waste of time.

Old 04-21-2016, 08:14 PM

4,204 posts, read 4,688,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Yes, digital cameras are another era.

Finally broke down and got one back in 2005 or so, barely got much use of before getting a phone that took better pictures *and* you didn't have to lug two devices around. Now if at a family event or something instead of looking for a camera, just reach for my phone.

Still have my first PC (Dell) got back in the 1990's. Built like a tank compared to what Dell offers today. Also found bunch of floppy disks (remember those?) that were used with the system. Oh and a bunch of ZIP disks as well. Need to figure out how to wipe the things before chucking. That or get a very large sledge hammer! *LOL*

Tech has changed so much so fast and fortunes have been made and lost. Remember when AOL was so powerful it purchased Time Warner? That worked out really well....

When AOL was launched it was the next big thing, now it is Facebook.... Still cannot figure out how Zuckerberg is worth billions for what amounts to a huge waste of time.
Timing is also important. Orkut or Myspace were not bad products but they are already old when Smartphone business picked up. Facebook started as something where University students can connect with. Later on, it cashed on with the advent of Smartphone and ease of clicking and sharing pics. Tiing was critical element in Facebook success. Similarly Yahoo Messenger was not a bad product but it reminds me of slow Desktop Dialup internet connection. Whatsapp is similar to Yahoo Messenger but it is famous now.

Old 04-21-2016, 11:29 PM

151 posts, read 193,818 times
Intel is laying off 12k workers because AMD is kicking their butts!! (I’m only joking)

Old 04-21-2016, 11:32 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,755,100 times
I think these 12,000 workers can line up for the $15 minimum wage jobs.

Old 04-22-2016, 02:49 PM

2,420 posts, read 3,848,395 times
I feel very bad for the Intel employees.

Jobs are vulnerable as technology and trends evolve in any industry. Just count all of the workers that were eliminated due to the invention of the ATM machine. Thousands and thousands of bank branches phased out workers just from that.

I just had an AT&T tech over to my house the other day to address internet connection interruptions. He mentioned that the company is going to introduce wireless internet to subscribers in a few years. Imagine all of the techs that will be eliminated. I'm imagining AT&T sending customers a modem by mail and when the customer receives the modem the customer plugs in the power adapter and voila.... the internet is on. No more techs going to your home to install wiring.

Old 04-22-2016, 08:16 PM

4,204 posts, read 4,688,411 times
Wireless Internet exists but it will be difficult to move all customers towards Wireless Technology. People still have Landlines, Cable TV, Internet thru Cable/Phone etc.

Old 04-22-2016, 10:43 PM

31,904 posts, read 26,954,113 times
Verizon and the rest of the former companies that once made up Ma Bell are trying to ditch copper landline connections soon as the FCC and or state regulators will let them. After super storm Sandy blew t trough NY costal areas Verizon tried to pull a fast one and say they would not replace damaged copper wiring on Fire Island, but instead would give them something else (fiber optic?). Local residents and NYS said "not so fast".....

Verizon is now an "Information and Technology" company in their marketing materials and or when you contact. Telephone service, at least as it relates to old school landline is something they seem to want to forget.

Meanwhile back at the ranch, Verizon workers are still out on strike here in the NYC area. You'd never know it though... Verizon Strike A Fight For Future of Labor - NBC News

Old 04-22-2016, 10:56 PM

4,204 posts, read 4,453,256 times
Technological efficiency migrations and transition is accelerating leading to compressed life cycles of product viability, rapidness to commoditization as technological scalability is exponentially faster. All of this is a natural progression of innovation efficiency, which makes human labor contributions to the business economic models less and less important.

I worked in tech industry at one time and used most of the latest greatest tech. Then you get to a point where (at least I did) you realize that constant upgrading to have the latest and greatest does not make sense for some people if the tech tools you do have (be they communication, digital file sharing, computers, etc..) do enough for your lifestyle (along with one's desire level of being 'connected' or "always on". I find this always on - connectedness to be mentally draining.

What I always find interesting is the technical lust for latest when, in many cases, it doesn't change much - factors of efficiency / speed. As a classic 'late adopter', I find it saves one money overall unless some new tech is vital for ones livelihood. Most of the innovations of last decade, especially the sharing mediums, are ego driven and an offshoot of the effort of those in society who want to lengthen juvenile stage of humankinds life and reinforce the accentuation on 'me-ness'. IMO

Some family joke with me occasionally me about my flip phone, and I say that I'm waiting for the star trek communicator and the Dick Tracy wearable flexible wrist band that has everything else you need. As for oculus type devices I will wait until I get my very own Star Trek NG "holodeck", which at current rates of progression is getting near.

Where will all those workers go to? I venture depending on their age, a significant amount will migrate to next tech (if in tech roles) and about 50% will have diminished quality of life as I surmise finding an employer who will pay as Intel with benefits will be more difficult and those hiring for comparable responsibilities will continue to dampen the salary of the majority of business functional areas across other types of industries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business