Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2016, 06:21 PM

31,340 posts, read 14,270,262 times

Advertisements

This is something I am looking into, along with some other things, a few years down the road.
Are these things profitable? Safe? A good long term investment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2016, 12:04 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,454,017 times
Paper money is quickly going away. Yes there will be some cash business but it's a declining business from my own personal standpoint.

Old 06-19-2016, 02:58 PM

10,759 posts, read 5,676,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
This is something I am looking into, along with some other things, a few years down the road.
Are these things profitable? Safe? A good long term investment?
I looked into once a number of years ago. Biggest problem was getting locations. If it would make sense to put an ATM somewhere, the owner of that location would just put in his own machine.

Old 06-19-2016, 04:43 PM

366 posts, read 730,907 times
You know, they've been talking about the demise of paper money since credit cards were born. It may be minimized in the future, but I just don't see it ever going completely away. There's something about the feel of it in your hands that solidifies what it represents.

Old 06-20-2016, 01:26 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,591,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sideman View Post
You know, they've been talking about the demise of paper money since credit cards were born. It may be minimized in the future, but I just don't see it ever going completely away. There's something about the feel of it in your hands that solidifies what it represents.
There is certainly something to the declining cash, even the banks see it

As travelers carry less cash, will ATMs at airports go the way of phone booths? | Star Tribune

Old 06-20-2016, 10:32 PM

762 posts, read 1,750,713 times
Yeah, sometimes I'm amazed at how many days I walk around without any cash at all. Plastic for everything, even a coffee at Dunkin' Donuts.

Old 06-21-2016, 08:54 AM

366 posts, read 730,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citychik View Post
Yeah, sometimes I'm amazed at how many days I walk around without any cash at all. Plastic for everything, even a coffee at Dunkin' Donuts.
This is perhaps one of the reasons why so many Americans are in perpetual debt. If you have a $5 bill in your pocket and you're considering buying a coffee, sometimes it's tougher to spend that $5. But with a card it's like it's no problem. And not picking on you, it's just the way banks and credit card companies have viewed it for years and most people have bought into the convenience. And of course the more you spend, the more they make on fees from merchants and cardholders.

Now, are more ATM's the solution? Certainly not. And in their heyday they were making all kinds of money on convenience fees from people using other bank's ATM's. Do I use them? No I do not. But I set aside a set amount of paper money every week and I don't overspend it. I only use a card for purchases over $50 and pay that off in my grace period every month. I've been down that debt road, many moons ago, when I had to live off an AMX card for three months while I was getting my business up and running. It took a long time to dig myself out of that debt. And I never want to be in that situation again.

Old 06-22-2016, 12:29 AM

654 posts, read 424,116 times
If I have $5 and buy a coffee that cost say $1.15, $3 makes it back to my wallet, .85c goes to my ash tray, bottom of my laundry basket or inside my couch. With my credit card I get 2% back and best of all no coins.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business