Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 12:59 PM

243 posts, read 1,207,645 times

Advertisements

There is a top level domain I have been trying to buy for years with no luck. For obvious reasons, I am not going to post it here, but it would be as good as something like baseball.com

The domain in question has been active for years since registered a decade ago. Then has been online/offline for many years. Now it is just long dead. I have made several offers to buy it from the owner with no responses. I even tried a certified offer via a network solutions a while back. I have connected with former employes of the domain and they have no idea what the owner is doing with it nor have they heard much. It was once active and alive...now it is a dead site.

Now the domain is due to expire in a few months. I am sure I am not the only one watching it. I have not looked into it much over the past year or two, but I am regaining interest.

I need ideas on how to snag this domain. I know there is a 30 day grace from most companies, but I know this will be a blood bath to get it this way. It is registered with GoDaddy, who suggest I use their BUY services to contact them for $ 70 on my behalf. No problem spending this, but I have to assume since it is registered with them they are the best option to contact them to make an offer.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Jason
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2012, 04:04 PM

5 posts, read 10,610 times
I've been in your shoes before, and after trying multiple domain snagging services, I found one that actually works. GoDaddy isn't one of them and I think they are a scam when it comes to this type of service.

PM/DM me for the URL.

Old 08-14-2012, 09:49 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
I don't think you'll be allowed to buy any top level domains that have been registered for over a decade. Most of them belong to countries. Since they've been around for a long time, expect to pay significantly more than the $185,000 of a new top level domain. Have the offers that you have been making been reasonable?

Old 08-15-2012, 09:47 AM

491 posts, read 2,290,820 times
Your example is not a top-level domain. That would be like .com, .tv, etc.

Many companies sit on domain names just to keep others from having it. If the name has not been available for this long, it is probably auto-renewed.

Old 08-15-2012, 11:14 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,290,523 times
I read a story about a large corporation which was trying to buy a newspaper, but got no response from the owners.

Someone asked if they have gone in person to meet the owners of that newspaper. The answer was no.

So they went in person, then the newspaper owners suddenly became quite agreeable to selling. Just the way some people are about these things.

That was back in the 1980's. These days there is another problem of "spam" and a constant flow of things which people automatically ignore.

Also the owner could have passed away and it might be owned by an "estate".

In any case, I would try an in person visit. Private investigators can also help to track someone down. Or go to a previous address and they may know where a person moved to.

Old 08-15-2012, 12:34 PM

Perhaps a top level domain is the wrong choice of words.

The domain revolves around an activity, an extremely popular one. But it is not the name of an actual business.

Billy J, I like your idea, but they are 7000 miles and in Canada. The business location itself is shut down ( so I have been told ). PI may be the answer.

thanks!

Old 08-15-2012, 01:09 PM

4,761 posts, read 14,290,523 times
Yes 7000 miles is a bit far! (Especially for myself since I hate to travel.)

Another option is to hire someone to go in person for you. Offer them a "finder's fee" - only if you do in fact purchase what you want. In this case that might be a past employee of that company who knows the owner and lives in the same area???

I've read about these finder's fees being millions of dollars for large corporations, etc., but it does not have to be that. It could be something like $500 or whatever would be needed to motivate someone to get the job done.

Maybe pay a little something upfront so they know you are not "SPAM"! And they can keep that even if the deal does not get done.

Old 08-15-2012, 01:21 PM

Found a few former employes... no one know where he is!

Old 08-17-2012, 09:34 PM

8 posts, read 15,596 times
Default ed if they have gone in person to meet the owners of that newspaper. The answer was no.

I read a story about a large corporation which was trying to buy a newspaper, but got no response from the owners.

Someone asked if they have gone in person to meet the owners of that newspaper. The answer was no.

So they went in person, then the newspaper owners suddenly became quite agreeable to selling. Just the way some people are about these things.

That was back in the 1980's. These days there is another problem of "spam" and a constant flow of things which people automatically ignore.

Also the owner could have passed away

Old 12-27-2015, 06:00 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kasteluolin View Post
there is a domain i am interested in and i am trying to think of the best way to negotiate with the owner. right now he has something on the site that cant be making any money, but its not like he isnt doing anything. it doesnt seem related to his day job. im not sure if being honest about my identity is a good idea because i dont want that to impact the price. im not sure what identity would make him less likely to try to jack up the price or be opposed to selling. i considered using a broker but that probably would lead to a price increase. i think im going to just call the guy tomorrow and im on the fence regarding my identity. after we agree on a price, where do you go for doing the transfer?

the guy is actually not too far from where i live (about 1.5 hours), now the above post has me considering an in person visit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business