Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2018, 09:29 PM

215 posts, read 211,061 times

Advertisements

As an outsider (blue collar) guy I had a chance to talk to my niece who used to work in an office building in downtown Dallas over the weekend.She has worked in Chicago,Charlotte,Baltimore,and very briefly in Manhattan.And what she told me was that the corporate world can be a very vindictive place with mean girl bosses,douchy CEO's,and money hungry back stabbers.What surprised me is that she is a very sweet,easygoing attractive woman in her late 20s and was often told she had to be a real office b-i-t-c-h to get ahead in that field.She came back home here in Texas to be closer to her side of the family and is now trying to start her own small online business.Now I understand that there are cut throat people in all fields,but let's put our common sense hats on ,they ain't making movies about the heartless power hungry world of small farm owners,plumbers,air duct cleaners,mechanics,etc.etc.
So why has this one field of work created so much nasty people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2018, 08:29 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,802,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastVigilante View Post
As an outsider (blue collar) guy I had a chance to talk to my niece who used to work in an office building in downtown Dallas over the weekend.She has worked in Chicago,Charlotte,Baltimore,and very briefly in Manhattan.And what she told me was that the corporate world can be a very vindictive place with mean girl bosses,douchy CEO's,and money hungry back stabbers.What surprised me is that she is a very sweet,easygoing attractive woman in her late 20s and was often told she had to be a real office b-i-t-c-h to get ahead in that field.She came back home here in Texas to be closer to her side of the family and is now trying to start her own small online business.Now I understand that there are cut throat people in all fields,but let's put our common sense hats on ,they ain't making movies about the heartless power hungry world of small farm owners,plumbers,air duct cleaners,mechanics,etc.etc.
So why has this one field of work created so much nasty people?
You're basing your post on one person's opinion? After spending the better part of four decades in the corporate world, I disagree.

Old 02-13-2018, 09:10 AM

6,721 posts, read 6,479,741 times
Don't know about bitter, but there are very different personalities out there, which makes getting along with certain people difficult. I don't think it's really any different in the Blue collar world though...

All I can say is that I've seen a lot of sh!% while serving my prison sentence in corporate America and I'll certainly be glad when I can finally retire. Let freedom ring!

Old 02-13-2018, 03:00 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,914,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
You're basing your post on one person's opinion? After spending the better part of four decades in the corporate world, I disagree.
i came from a fortune top 10 blue collar, and its a dog eat dog world. If they can throw you under the bus to save their arse for their mistake, they will do it in a heartbeat and not care.

Old 02-13-2018, 11:36 PM

Quote:
If you paid attention to my original post you would've read that I wrote about the movie industry making films about the corporate world's vicious atmosphere.Exam
ples include Wall Street,The Game,etc.So it's not someone's lone opinion.Now I know movies don't reflect reality 100% but there was a lot of truth to make their point.

Old 02-14-2018, 07:13 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,215,585 times
Because people waste the majority of their one and only precious life in cube farms?

Old 02-14-2018, 08:06 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,802,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastVigilante View Post
If you paid attention to my original post you would've read that I wrote about the movie industry making films about the corporate world's vicious atmosphere.Exam
ples include Wall Street,The Game,etc.So it's not someone's lone opinion.Now I know movies don't reflect reality 100% but there was a lot of truth to make their point.
I forgot that movies are factually based, that movie makers always have sufficient knowledge to make the most informed decisions about what to include and that little or no dramatic license is ever used to create conflict and depict things that never happened.

Old 02-18-2018, 12:53 AM

Quote:
I forgot that movies are factually based, that movie makers always have sufficient knowledge to make the most informed decisions about what to include and that little or no dramatic license is ever used to create conflict and depict things that never happened.
Like I said they don't reflect 100% reality.Pay attention.

Old 02-20-2018, 02:37 PM

10,501 posts, read 7,034,778 times
Some people love their jobs, some people don't. It's less about the job and more about the person with the job. You might as well ask why so many mechanics are bitter. Or grocery store cashiers. Or tour guide operators.

A couple of years ago we were at Epcot, smack dab in the middle of the Happiest Place on Earth, and the boat pilot actually kvetched about having to cross the lagoon from one side to another. all. day. long.

The problem has little to do with corporations as a whole? It's more about people willing to be miserable in their job rather than move on.

Yes, I know it's easier said than done. But it's important to always have options. Keep your resume updated. Always network. Join professional organizations. Be an astute observer of corporate politics. And by corporate politics, I don't mean be a relentless brown noser or play games, for those people run out of road. Instead, understand how the personalities intermesh in the office. Be objective about yourself and the role you play, including how you present yourself.

Happiness is a decision. If you're unhappy in your work yet choose inertia, that's on you.

Old 02-20-2018, 05:09 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,208,266 times
Rising to the top does not make one bitter. It is the bitter who aspire to rise to the top.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business