Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2020, 03:32 AM

1,195 posts, read 986,556 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
Oh, I missed the entire 2nd tab. Yeah, look kid. Nobody gives away real estate, especially retail real estate, and that's really what you're looking for, a giveaway. Even your grandfather would tell you no...because that's his business. It would be cheaper for him to rent the space and simply give you an allowance.

For something like that to work, you'd have to talk some sort of terrific assortment. Like...we have every game ever made and each day we're running new ones....and a buildup of a community of people interested in this. Network with date apps, hold tournaments, have learning sessions....but you still need to cover the costs somehow.

Check out this for pinball machines:
Las Vegas Pinball Hall of Fame Pinball Museum, Nevada NV, Tim Arnold

Yeah, they can still get the quarters for playing, but it's linked into every pinball group around...and their main source of funding are enthusiasts who give donations, with some quarters coming in. They keep moving further from the strip as the relatively inexpensive costs of Vegas are still enough to pressure them.

If you're hell bent on this idea, the only suggestion I would make is to not have an entrance charge. You're not a club, and even those don't charge until it's packed many times. Charge for the drinks and then lease out game spots (tables) similar to how people pay for time on pool tables and then you wait on them. On offer is the world's largest game collection, all in great condition. You take their order, bring them their game, swing by on occasion to answer questions, get feedback, be engaged and make suggestions as to other games they might like....as well as taking their next drink order.

You might...be able to get free board games sent you from manufacturers as well in exchange for game reviews put up on YouTube or something. Get some YouTube profits as you become the net's board game guru and the place becomes really a byproduct.

It's a long shot, but maybe.
I'm not looking for handouts, I'm keeping my day job. Relationships are essential to pull off my idea and can't be found or bought or shown to a bank, that's not my strategy.

I see many pinball machines. I notice the hours are 11am-11pm Sunday-Sunday. Late is the way to go because now days, with no bars open, there's nowhere else open late.

I agree that entrance charge would be hard to sell. People like to know what they're buying. A $1 dollar entrance charge would turn off many people just by principle.

I've bought games and never played them. RISK is one of my favorites and it gets personal, seen friendships become bitter over that game. I'm not trying to promote a game playing club, more like a place easy going enough to offer and encourage board games. Maybe a sports screen to watch the social justice warriors play basketball in their ballroom stadiums. Anything that makes people stay longer because if they stay long enough they will buy drinks. Feed them cheap salty snacks and let them order drinks to wash it down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2020, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BizSpirit View Post
Interesting... doesn't hurt to ask I guess?
I appreciate all the replies.

Old 07-25-2020, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeCPA View Post
A business could be anything from a multi billion dollar enterprise to a dog sitting business. Doesn't mean anything. If you know exactly what you're talking about why are you on this board asking questions? Nobody uses their profit to pay their lease . Or are you going to tell me I'm wrong? Of course you're not me, and I'm glad I'm not you. You're just clueless. Yeah but come back and tell us about the free lease when you get it.
Why does anyone post on a message board? I've written P&L reports and contracts, I'm aware of common structures, but in this instance I'm not even paying a lease, so if there is no profit there will be no disbursement. I'm in this to make money, post covid19 economics come into play. Cardinal rule #1, don't spend money you don't have or may not have. I have enough to get something like this rolling but if it doesn't work I'll stop with no debt. If commercial real estate collapses one day, I may have enough knowledge by then to buy the right property.

Old 07-25-2020, 07:15 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,023,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kynight View Post
The void I'd like to tackle is to have a nice indoor place people can go to, since coffee shops close early and libraries are closed. YMCA is about to become a thing of the past, school is all but cancelled, book stores are open at reduced hours... get where I'm going with this? There should be someplace people can go. If there was already one I would be their customer. I think drinks can be the driving service, teas or coffee or mocktails. Thanks
Why would YOUR business be exempt from the restrictions that coffee shops etc. are under?

Old 07-25-2020, 08:00 AM

9,865 posts, read 7,736,569 times
Quote:
Starbucks is hard to beat, but they arent even open. Every time I go out there doors are already closed. There the coffee actually sucks, I only like the espresso, but even so I spent so much there for the nice setting and wifi. How many times are they going to close when the powers that be decide there's a new virus.
How much would you pay each day to sit in Starbucks, if they decided to have an admission fee?

If Starbucks are closed in your area, how would your business be allowed to open?

Old 07-25-2020, 08:04 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,023,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
How much would you pay each day to sit in Starbucks, if they decided to have an admission fee?

If Starbucks are closed in your area, how would your business be allowed to open?
I seem to recall that maybe 10(?) years ago, Starbucks did a 180 and intentionally made their shops LESS hospitable by losing the comfy couches and chairs in favor of hard wooden chairs and small tables. They clearly wanted to make the place less welcoming to people nursing a $4 drink for 2 hours while hogging the wifi.

Old 07-25-2020, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KemBro71 View Post
Why would YOUR business be exempt from the restrictions that coffee shops etc. are under?
My area has been in phase 2 for 1 or 2 months and still their lobby is closed. Starbucks is allowed 50% capacity, which it hardly ever reaches. They have become drive-thru businesses and at reduced hours.

Old 07-25-2020, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post

Starbucks is probably following a self-imposed corporate mandate. McDonalds is also allowed to have open dining where I live but they don't. I think the decision is made at the franchisee owner or city level because the neighboring town's mcdonald's has their dine in area open and are promoting it on their sign.

I would pay around $10. I'm not dead set on having an admission fee but for the target and value I'm after $10 seems reasonable. A fee would keep undesirables out and cause a no-pressure to buy environment. On the other hand, it'll be a relatively new concept which will need to be sold to the public.

Old 07-25-2020, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KemBro71 View Post
I seem to recall that maybe 10(?) years ago, Starbucks did a 180 and intentionally made their shops LESS hospitable by losing the comfy couches and chairs in favor of hard wooden chairs and small tables. They clearly wanted to make the place less welcoming to people nursing a $4 drink for 2 hours while hogging the wifi.
Now days wifi is practically unlimited. True, but on the other hand they no longer require you to be a paying customer to use the bathroom, following the incident with the black man in Philly. I always feel welcomed in Starbucks, I think the owner even likes people to sit in, make the place look more lively, there's nice music and clean, they have a seasonal menu, there have been countless times I buy 3 or 4 things, for $20 its worth it to me and people who don't splurge on much else throughout the day.

Old 07-25-2020, 06:25 PM

7,650 posts, read 4,601,843 times
Quote:
Now days wifi is practically unlimited. True, but on the other hand they no longer require you to be a paying customer to use the bathroom, following the incident with the black man in Philly. I always feel welcomed in Starbucks, I think the owner even likes people to sit in, make the place look more lively, there's nice music and clean, they have a seasonal menu, there have been countless times I buy 3 or 4 things, for $20 its worth it to me and people who don't splurge on much else throughout the day.
It's the space that's expensive, not the internet. Restaurants (and drink places) need to turn those tables quickly.

https://totalfood.com/how-to-create-...nt-floor-plan/

The general seating guidelines that should be observed are:
Fine Dining: 18–20 Square Feet
Full Service Restaurant Dining: 12–15 Square Feet
Counter Service: 18–20 Square Feet
Fast Food Minimum: 11–14 Square Feet
Table Service, Hotel/Club: 15–18 Square Feet
‏Banquet, Minimum: 10–11 Square Feet

So if you're at $4/SF NNN that spot costs you $600-800/month. Using $600, that's $20 a day assuming you are slinging it every single day. If you take a table with a $20 order all day, you just covered rent, no salaries, no cost of the drinks, no utilities, kitchen expense....nothing. The restaurant is losing money on you.

Now, if a place is empty anyway, and you've showered, so be it and tip your waitstaff very well (cuz they have a limit on tables they get generally) but if it starts filling up, the polite thing to do is to leave.

(But I know, you're going to get free rent)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business