Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 09:26 AM

2,589 posts, read 10,557,380 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinalkulp View Post
Does anyone know roughly how much startup costs are for a small town breakfast type restaurant? Excluding the cost of the space, how much would be needed to turn an empty building into a restaurant with booths/tables, kitchen appliances, etc? Thank you!
All depends on the image you want to present and the size of the place. Are you talking 5 booths or 100 booths? Are you taliking quaint/artsy/b&b type look or just tables and chairs in a store front?

One one side you can buy big quantities in bulk and get discounts - on the other end you are probably buying closer to retail. Big difference in prices.

One on side your image and decor will demand higher quality and unique items - on the other end you can just get buy with functional stuff. Big difference in prices.

If looking to save start-up expenses and if you don't have to have new and can do with alot of different potential looks then look for other restraunts that are liquidating and pick up their equipment (auctions, ebay, craigslist, etc).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2008, 09:33 AM

835 posts, read 2,878,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1215 View Post
All depends on the image you want to present and the size of the place. Are you talking 5 booths or 100 booths? Are you taliking quaint/artsy/b&b type look or just tables and chairs in a store front?

One one side you can buy big quantities in bulk and get discounts - on the other end you are probably buying closer to retail. Big difference in prices.

One on side your image and decor will demand higher quality and unique items - on the other end you can just get buy with functional stuff. Big difference in prices.

If looking to save start-up expenses and if you don't have to have new and can do with alot of different potential looks then look for other restraunts that are liquidating and pick up their equipment (auctions, ebay, craigslist, etc).
I'm thinking maybe 10-12 booths plus 4-6 tables and also a counter with bar stools. Very casual and simple but would want booths to match. Not into the artsy style, as I would want to attract all ages.

Old 07-31-2008, 12:07 PM

3 posts, read 21,977 times
It all starts with putting together a plan. There are a number of resources you can find online (some free, some not) that can help you with your business plans. Just enter "help with business plan" or "business plan" in any search engine and you will find many sources to check out. One site that you might find useful is:

http://www.sba.gov/smallbusinessplanner/index.html (broken link)

Also, you can search within this online community for "business Plan" and find many postings, some from experienced business professionals, that might be useful to you as well.

I hope that helps; good luck with your business plans.

[mod]no signatures per site ToS please[/mod]

Last edited by da jammer; 07-31-2008 at 12:48 PM.. Reason: cleaning out formatting comments that were inserted when posted

Old 07-31-2008, 12:59 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,726 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinalkulp View Post
I'm thinking maybe 10-12 booths plus 4-6 tables and also a counter with bar stools. Very casual and simple but would want booths to match. Not into the artsy style, as I would want to attract all ages.
~ $80k - $100k + permits for economical renovation and using good used equip. Your grill hood could be as high as $50k itself ! depending on size and fire requirements. ~$250-$350k for new and small. (Its best to rent a space that is already outfitted, and permitted; plenty places available...)

Your's is about the size of the eatery we leased out in one of our commercial buildings. Went through 5 tenants in 7 yrs., all but one went broke.
We provided a fully finished out place, (including tables, booths, reefers, frig, display cases, dishwasher, ovens, plates and utensils, meat slicers, deli cases, malt machines...) and they only had to bring supplies and run the business. There is a very high paying 1,400 person factory without a cafeteria less than 100' away, the factory brings a lot of catering events for meetings ~ 100 meals a week on slow week, sometimes several thousand (picnics and holiday events)

something I found interesting..
1) they all gave me a business plan (illustrating they had one year capital or reserves available)
2) they all were experienced
3) They all were energetic and felt they had a good product
4) They all worked like dogs and all but one were very pleasant to customers.
5) I kept their lease at 50% of market rates for 2 yrs minimum
6) We did lots of maint / improvements to keep the place fresh and new, including HVAC, paint, lighting, windows, courtyard...
7) Historical and attractive building and business district with community events.
8) They were the only tenants I had to worry about being late with payment or 'vanishing' in the night. I had to frequently use a lawyer to enforce utility, permit, insurance, vendor payments. I had to keep UCC listed items very current. (improvements / equipment that could be sold or borrowed against)

I will try not to have a food joint in my future real estate holdings, as it is painful to watch these folks lose their $$, time and sometimes families. (+ the high usage of facility is very tough on a building and liability risk is high, compared to office / wholesale)

Be careful I know it is possible to make it in this business, but it is a killer.

Do lots of research, have lots of money and help, make a conservative business plan, go to S.C.O.R.E., network with other businesses in the area, rest up. Good Luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business