Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 06:38 PM

1,955 posts, read 5,267,721 times

Advertisements

I did some consulting work for a client about 8-9 months ago and was on a retainer at the time. For the last six months, I have done no work with that client.

Part of the work I did do involved submitting proposals to publishers in the hopes of getting a book published. Well, just this week, a deal came through and a contract will be signed with a publisher. I was promised last winter at the outset of the project that I would be paid a bonus in the event a contract is signed with a publisher.

My client is extremely busy, and I'm quite sure he has forgotten about the bonus offer - it was mentioned in email only. I am meeting with him next week to discuss further collaboration on a new project.

So, my question is this: how do I best go about approaching the subject of the bonus? Do I simply mention it to him in our conversation next week? Do I follow up by email or phone several days later? Do I spell it out in a new project proposal?

The bonus is a substantial amount of money, and I definitely want it, but I don't want to create the impression that the bonus money is all I care about. I would rather create the impression that I'm interested in renewing collaboration with him and have the bonus be a side thought - especially since the new project promises to be even more lucrative.

What would everyone do in such a situation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2008, 12:24 AM

1,356 posts, read 6,027,254 times
If it were me I think I would write up an outline of a proposal for next agreement and mention that you think the last agreement was fair for both of you so you are patterning this next one on the previous one. Then you can point out the bonus is part of the new agreement just as you agreed on the previous one. This approach focuses on how you want to continue your relationship.

Are you concerned that the client will have a negative reaction to being reminded of the bonus?

Old 09-13-2008, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niners fan View Post
If it were me I think I would write up an outline of a proposal for next agreement and mention that you think the last agreement was fair for both of you so you are patterning this next one on the previous one. Then you can point out the bonus is part of the new agreement just as you agreed on the previous one. This approach focuses on how you want to continue your relationship.

Are you concerned that the client will have a negative reaction to being reminded of the bonus?
No, I'm not horribly concerned about a negative reaction, but I definitely want the focus to be on the continued relationship, as that will obviously be much more beneficial for me in the long-run.

I'll take this approach, sounds the most reasonable. Many thanks!

Old 09-13-2008, 07:57 AM

2,197 posts, read 7,393,698 times
My bet is he hasn't forgotten about it... but he's probably hoping you have. Writers live project to project and if it's a significant amount, he may be reluctant to part with it, especially since you haven't worked together for months and it wasn't a formal part of your compensation agreement.

I would put your new projects first. When quoting those, I would follow Niners fan's good advice and ask if the same bonus structure was to be included in these, too. Then see how he handles it. He may pay right up... or you may have to let it go in order to land new, potentially more profitable assignments. My guess is he will know exactly what you're doing and you'll know right off whether to push it or not. Since this could be a bit sticky, I would ask for a lunch and handle this as a casual, low-key conversation, after discussing strategy for the new project. That way, you can gauge his reaction and adjust yours accordingly, then follow it up in writing. His business is likely to be even more lucrative to you now, so not losing it would be my top priority. JMO.

Old 09-13-2008, 08:01 AM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
First, I would re-frame any mention of the word "bonus" to "incentive fee" or some other phrase. A bonus is something that a salaried employee gets, and employers think of bonuses differently. The intent of a bonus is to reward and get increased and continued productivity out of someone you will be using for a long time. If you are in business for yourself, that doesn't fit, and the client can easily slough it off as an unrequired add-on expense.

Secondly, if you need an excuse to collect the money you have put yourself in an awkward situation. Set up your deals as suggested by Niners Fan.

Thirdly, if you feel the need to fall back on an excuse, you need something positive, but neutral, like "I need that money to grow my business" or "the money has been budgeted for new equipment." I'd avoid excuses if possible, since it sets a precedent.

Old 09-13-2008, 08:11 AM

The book deal is only one small part of his business, which is why I'm incline to think he might have forgotten it. He's got a huge investment fund that he operates, and then an advisory/consulting business with a number of smaller but still lucrative projects. The bonus/incentive money is very small change for him. For me, it would be moderate change (not make or break by any means) in the short-term, but as I say, my main goal is to get on board future projects - both because he's an interesting client to work with and the projects are pretty lucrative.

The more I think about it, Niners fan's advice is right on.

Old 09-13-2008, 09:03 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times
For God's sake, don't be timid about it.

Just call him up and say, in a non-accusatory way, "Hey, Al. How's it going? [Inject about three minutes of small talk] By the way, I was just going through some old paperwork and ran across this e-mail you sent about a bonus on my last project. I know it's been a while and it was easy to overlook. I just wanted to know when you'd take care of that for me."

And that's it. You're not putting him on the spot, accusing him of being a deadbeat. However, it sets the tone that you have not forgotten, you have a written statement by the client in the form of an e-mail, and that it's been a long time.

By the way, did you establish what the bonus would be? Otherwise, he could send a ten-dollar bill in the mail and consider himself even-steven with you.

Which leads to my next point. You are in business. He is in business. It is perfectly okay to spell out costs, deadlines, and other agreements in enough detail to be clear, but not enough to make you look litigious. Because client relationships most typically go sour not because of what you charge but when you don't spell out.

By the way, this guy's name isn't Howard, is it?

Old 09-13-2008, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
For God's sake, don't be timid about it.

Just call him up and say, in a non-accusatory way, "Hey, Al. How's it going? [Inject about three minutes of small talk] By the way, I was just going through some old paperwork and ran across this e-mail you sent about a bonus on my last project. I know it's been a while and it was easy to overlook. I just wanted to know when you'd take care of that for me."

And that's it. You're not putting him on the spot, accusing him of being a deadbeat. However, it sets the tone that you have not forgotten, you have a written statement by the client in the form of an e-mail, and that it's been a long time.

By the way, did you establish what the bonus would be? Otherwise, he could send a ten-dollar bill in the mail and consider himself even-steven with you.

Which leads to my next point. You are in business. He is in business. It is perfectly okay to spell out costs, deadlines, and other agreements in enough detail to be clear, but not enough to make you look litigious. Because client relationships most typically go sour not because of what you charge but when you don't spell out.

By the way, this guy's name isn't Howard, is it?
Bonus was established by client - hundreds of times higher than $10

I'm definitely going to be upfront about it. I was just debating whether to mention it separately or work it into a new business proposal, and it seems like the latter is the way to go.

Old 09-13-2008, 09:51 AM

1,356 posts, read 6,027,254 times
Let us know how it goes. Good luck!

Old 09-13-2008, 02:10 PM

516 posts, read 1,888,578 times
I think a simple, friendly reminder would go a long way. If you're meeting in a few days, that wouldn't be a bad time to mention it. Do so more in passing than making a big point of it. If he's really just forgotten about it, you have nothing to worry about. If he's hoping YOU forgot and is trying to get out of paying it, you have bigger issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business