Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 01:14 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,639,854 times

Advertisements

I guess that would tend to destroy the notion that these preparers are "uneducated", wouldn't it? Give them this much credit--they know more about taxes than their clients, if nothing else. Because if their clients were smart enough to do their taxes themselves, then they would.

The tax code changes every year, and there has to be refresher training every year to keep up with the changes.

For example, what's the difference between the extension period available to a civilian and the extension period of a servicemember who happens to be overseas, but is not in a combat zone? And how does it change if they ARE in a combat zone? Wait a minute, that doesn't talk about changes from year to year. Okay, how long does a servicemember have to close on a house to qualify for the first time homebuyer credit?

Old 04-07-2010, 01:23 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,246,649 times
Service members have tax preparation available to them - at no charge -

For simple returns, using a tax prep service might be OK. I would not use one however that has very little training (like a one or two day course). To me, that is asking for trouble.

Blocks training and their backup guarantees are, IMO, far better than Liberty or Hewitt et al.

Heck - using Turbo Tax is far better than those franchise pyramid scheme tax prep services like Hewitt and Franklin

Old 04-13-2010, 11:15 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,687,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Service members have tax preparation available to them - at no charge -

For simple returns, using a tax prep service might be OK. I would not use one however that has very little training (like a one or two day course). To me, that is asking for trouble.

Blocks training and their backup guarantees are, IMO, far better than Liberty or Hewitt et al.

Heck - using Turbo Tax is far better than those franchise pyramid scheme tax prep services like Hewitt and Franklin
I was refering to the franchise, not actually using their tax service
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.