Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2010, 01:28 PM

254 posts, read 693,198 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, I have been looking to get into the hotdog business, but the last attempt to buy a hotdog cart from someone, ended in disaster. I was taken for my money, but did manage to get half of it back.

I haven't given up however and am even more determined this time due to circumstances. Does anyone have any good ideas, or any reputable places to do business to get a cart from. I'm looking for feedback from individuals who have a good personal experience from vendors selling hotdog carts. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2010, 09:07 PM

1,264 posts, read 3,860,456 times
Are you referring to this kind of hotdog stand?

Japadog.JPG (image)
photo credit: shermansadventurecom

Old 02-16-2010, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frsno1 View Post
I have been looking to get into the hotdog business, but the last attempt to buy a hotdog cart from someone, ended in disaster. I was taken for my money, but did manage to get half of it back.
You went straight in to step 6) according to this article

Quote:
Step 6
Buy the equipment you need, including the cart, coolers, foodhandling gear, cooking equipment and other necessities, at a restaurant supply store. Costs vary, but expect to pay from $6,000 to $8,000 for a new cart, half that or less for a used model. Also, look into leasing equipment, which requires less capital up front.

How to Buy a Hot Dog Stand | eHow.com

Old 02-16-2010, 11:09 PM

From Yelp.com, SF has over 3018 food carts
Food Stands San Francisco
and over 55 known hot dog eateries
http://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc...05&cflt=hotdog

Bacon Dog Cart: photos yummy
Photos for Bacon Dog Cart | Yelp

Vending Carts, New and Used
Vending Carts for sale, Hot dog carts, coffee carts, custom vending cart suppliers

Last edited by dougie86; 02-16-2010 at 11:20 PM..

Old 02-16-2010, 11:53 PM

254 posts, read 693,198 times
Yeah, that is the kind of stand I had in mind. I really appreciate those links you provided by the way. They are great help so far....thank you

Old 02-17-2010, 01:13 AM

3,857 posts, read 6,955,492 times
Note that many cities regulate street vendors, require licenses, and assign designated spots. In Toronto there are no available spots and the carts are controlled by a few big operators who rent them out. Check out city hall and chat with vendors to get the lowdown in your town.

Old 02-17-2010, 01:45 AM

This is an inspiring story. A new immigrant arrived from Japan; he couldn't find a job and didn't have enough money to open a restaurant. So he applied and won a license through lottery, and started his hot dog business in downtown Vancouver.
The earliest story I could find was dated 2005/Oct/22 by Chowhoud
Japa-Dog (Japanese Hot Dog Vendor in Vancouver) - Western Canada Archive - Chowhound

You can see his prices are not cheap. Hotdog @Ikea is about C$1.50 and delicious. His wife helped to re-invent it by experimenting with fresh ingredients and sauces.
photo credit: shermansfoodadventure.com

His break came when famous tourists stopped by his cart to buy his hot dogs: Arnold Schwarzenegger, Anthony Bourdain (famous chef), Steven Seagal, Peter Stormare (Swedish actor), Korean movie star, He took their photos and signatures to advertise his hot dogs.
Photo-0036.jpg (image)

After nearly 5 years of hard work, he finally saves up enough money to open his first restaurant downtown this February.

Old 02-17-2010, 05:01 PM

6 posts, read 8,184 times
Meh just open your hot dog cart stand anyways and ig they fine you don't pay, when you go to court argue it is anti competitive and that the city is trying to fix the hot dog prices

Old 04-30-2011, 12:12 PM

Location: Looks like I'm getting out "Valley On The Sun" Arizona
190 posts, read 415,540 times
I know this is an old post.

Was curios how it's going for this guy?

Old 04-30-2011, 01:20 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,465,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woundedknee View Post
I know this is an old post.

Was curios how it's going for this guy?

I never saw this when it was originally posted. Here in Cincinnati, the Health Department regulates the type of carts they will approve. Recently they required the hot dog vendors to buy new carts costing $15,000 each. And, they require a commissary that is inspected and approved by the City for storage and prep of the foods. So this can be a little more complicated than it seems at first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business