Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2010, 04:34 AM

67 posts, read 227,609 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm seriously thinking about opening a bookstore. I know about the strong competition by book chains. That's why I want to specialize.
I was thinking about a bookstore specialized in Baby's and Kid's books, a bookstore dedicated entirely to Travel related books (guides, literature, maps) or a used books store.

I personally like the idea of the Travel Bookstore best because travelling is my passion and I'm pretty knowledgable in that field but I'm not sure about lucrativeness of such an venture.

There are many potential specialization opportunities when it comes to books. What do you think? What concept is the best in your opinion?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2010, 06:29 AM

544 posts, read 1,485,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntiHero View Post
Nevermind, you don't have to apologize. It's just that I wasn't looking forward to comments not related to the question and feel non-topic related things are somewhat insignificant in such a thread.
I think you're probably right. Maybe the question should be, if you go into business, shouldn't that business be one in which you excel and about which you have a passionate interest? Anyway, you mean a bricks and mortar store, right? Versus an online store? I think used bookstores do alright, maybe childrens' books, too. But I think if you specialize too narrowly it might be difficult to earn a living.

I would think for a narrowly specialized area (like Travel, say), you would do better online and could make something if you were very knowledgeable and creative, and wrote your own source code. You would have to develop and promote in a niche market.

Just my .02

Last edited by scsigurl3000; 02-22-2010 at 06:56 AM..

Old 02-22-2010, 09:16 AM

1,264 posts, read 3,861,999 times
You both make my morning bright and cheerful. Good morning to you.
I normally purchased my travel guides at the airport bookstores. Last minute thingy. Read the manual when something goes wrong, not before. Hope your future customers are better organized than me.

Old 02-22-2010, 07:16 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,662,314 times
You are stark starring nuts to blow money on any book store. Unless of course you get into the new craze of ebooks which will be the future of reading enthusiasts. The biggest names in books are closing stores. Now that their cafe sales exceed book sales then something is trying to tell you something.

During depression times like we have now, books are yet another thing people stop buying.

If you really love what you are doing then why not try it on-line for a while. If then you find success then take the risk of the expense of a store front.

Old 02-23-2010, 01:31 PM

3,695 posts, read 11,373,554 times
A travel bookstore would work if you opened in a location with a good amount of travelers, and you thought of yourself as more of a travel information and supply center instead of just a bookstore. There's a store in Seattle, Wide World Books & Maps - Seattle - Travel Gear from Rick Steves, Eagle Creek, Baggallini, Lewis N Clark and more - Travel Store - Seattle (http://www.wideworldtravelstore.com/shop/index.php - broken link), that has been around since 1976 and sells more than just books. They sell travel gear, luggage, maps, toys and games.

I think you need to offer shoppers something that they can't find online. It's easy to buy books online, but not expertise. Lease out a corner to a travel agent to run his business. Have travel writers do readings. Offer seminars on travel planning, destinations, budget travel and anything else people are interested in.

Old 02-23-2010, 01:59 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,468,083 times
In this age of amazon, e-readers, Half Priced Books and the internet - no way I'd open a specialized independent brick and mortar bookstore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business