Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 09:44 AM

473 posts, read 1,328,241 times

Advertisements

The problem isn't with the nurses - it's their goon union. The biggest misconception being peddled is that Whitman is anti-nurse. She's not. She's opposed to their union. That's a huge difference, and luckily one that the voting public seems to understand. Marching on her house isn't going to win the union any pr points - stupid move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2010, 09:52 AM

3,980 posts, read 8,989,754 times
I want to see photos of her house. Didn't she just mock Brown's 1.8 million dollar pad in Oakland? I want to see visually what hypocrisy looks like.

Old 07-25-2010, 10:01 AM

30,896 posts, read 36,965,098 times
What a bunch of selfish b*tches. Nurses in CA make far more than nurses anywhere else. It's about time someone stand up to them.

Old 07-25-2010, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
Those were nurses not thugs, quite the opposite treatment.
What is it with people wanting others to make less than a working wage?
You might want to get educated on unions before making the odd statement.
I'm a union member myself and EscapeCalifornia is quite accurate in what he/she is saying.

Unions have no concept of economic reality and really don't care.

Sure they say they do, but they lie.

Old 07-25-2010, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smh1 View Post
If I am not mistaken-the vast majority of nurses are in the private sector??? Not sure why the union angle is as important. It would be if it were public sector employees, like teachers or police or some such-but not nurses?
Most nurses are in the private sector but most are also unionized and get the legislature to pass laws favorable to them. Of course, it's all done in the name of patient care. Just like everything the teachers want is "for the children". It's time for voters to see through the smokescreens.

Old 07-25-2010, 10:26 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,950,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smh1 View Post

If I am not mistaken-the vast majority of nurses are in the private sector??? Not sure why the union angle is as important. It would be if it were public sector employees, like teachers or police or some such-but not nurses?
There are a number of nurse's unions in the State, but I have no idea how many they represent.

Old 07-25-2010, 10:49 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,455,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I'm a union member myself and EscapeCalifornia is quite accurate in what he/she is saying.
I was in union years ago and every election, they reflexively endorsed the democrat and gave him or her my dues money. They sure as hell weren't representing my wishes but they said they were speaking for me as a union member. How many union members do you think are in the position I was in? Those are the people Meg's trying to attract according to the story. Of course the union doesn't like that because they want to fool the public into thinking that their endorsements speak for the entire membership.

Old 07-25-2010, 11:07 AM

1,472 posts, read 2,410,530 times
**Yawn** Nothing to see here, move along. On a side note, I sure hope people keep events like these in mind the next time unions start crying foul about their poor members and their rights.

Looks like the unions have plenty of money to burn.

Old 07-25-2010, 11:09 AM

1,472 posts, read 2,410,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
What a bunch of selfish b*tches. Nurses in CA make far more than nurses anywhere else. It's about time someone stand up to them.
No kidding. Unions for people making starting wages of $40+ per hour, yeah man, times are tough bro.

Old 07-25-2010, 11:30 AM

206 posts, read 416,695 times
Massive deregulation and free trade policies open up our economy to anybody in the world-even though they cheat by manipulating their currencies or not giving similar access. Their citizens maybe making a dollar a day-but that doesn't seem to matter-they still have access. Companies rush headlong to those cheap lands for the savings-resulting in the loss of millions of jobs.

Massive deregulation in the financial sector results in products that enable a man making 14,000 a year to qualify and move into a $714,000 house. The resultant collapse almost drags down the entire economy and the firms responsible for it get a trillion dollars or more in bailouts. Fed uses another trillion to buy junk products that the bank would otherwise not be able to sell. So they get saved and all their senior magmt continue getting their million dollar bonus.

But who is to blame for this mess- the unions. In China the labour is actually beginning to strike and call for better wages and living conditions -the early stages of unions. In India unions are extremely entrenched and for firms over a certain number of employees-you need permission from the federal/central government to fire them. Those countries are doing just fine.

Now I am not pro union- never been a member in one and don't care much for them either. In today's America and the legal system-I think we really don't need them as much-we have enough legal protections and a nice safety net. In Alameda county, where I used to live, the public voted down a tax increase for teachers -and I am willing to bet the same will be the case in pretty much any county today. The governor already negotiated down benefits for several unions and if a city goes bust-well so does their obligations tot he public servants.

But blaming the unions for the dire straits our country is in is kinda odd. It is the corporatist free marketers that led to this mess. Meg Whitman calls for abolishing 40,000 govt jobs. but right next to that in her plan-she wants more H1B workers. Why-can't find any qualified Americans to work for a dollar a day?? I think we really need to look at the living wage situation in different countries and set our market/trade policies according to that.

Oh well, I am more or less decided on moving to Spain. Both parties really have no solutions-although the republicans and their broken record of more free markets seem to be even more dangerous. I think if I have to sit and watch a country crumble around me-at least I won't be bothered if it is another country!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California