Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 06:31 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times

Advertisements

Been in medical 19 years...

Most of my friends are RN's...

Nurses do enjoy a unique position in CA...

They are the only protected professional in CA labor law that I know of...

Doesn't matter if a Nurse is making 100k or more per year... they get overtime and double time for the hours they work by statute unless they are part of management.

We've had nurses leave management and return to the floor because the money is better... management never gets paid overtime and such...

Also, we have two Doctors that gave up their practices and work as OR Nurses... for the most part, Nurses are very well paid, don't run a practice and can schedule their time...

Doctors, Lawyers, Architects and Engineers are professionals that do not enjoy the same protection as RN's in CA.

What other job will hire you if you say you are only available one day a week or want to work 3 days a week or some other combination? It is quite common for nurses... many have a one day a week per Diem job that pays quite well in addition to the benefited 32 to 40 hour work week.

I think the Nurses are concerned about possible take aways in the future... such as staffing ratios and overtime issues.

I've posted before that STARTING pay for SF General for new grad nurses is 100k and that was 4 years ago...

We have no shortage of nurses from other states trying to work in high paid markets like the Bay Area... the pay can easily be 2.5 times as other parts of the country.

I also posted about a young 23 year old couple.... first on both sides of their families to graduate from college... she is an RN and he is a Police Officer... first year they made 180k not counting benefits...

Nurses are skilled and caring... I would never say the profession in the Bay Area is underpaid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2010, 07:23 PM

212 posts, read 475,990 times
Default Well, I'll be the mean one then.

Nurses are overpaid.

California Registered Nurse Salary
California Registered Nurse Salary

A total of 32 real registered nurse salary data listed for California.
Salary Average: $64,251Salary Range: $44,790
$114,105

TitleEmployerSalaryLocation / Date / Further Info
Registered Nurse
The Permanente Medical Group$114kSacramento, CA (01/2006) salary of the position in CA, Sacramento, this employer
Registered NurseAtascadero State Hospital$83kAtascadero, CA (02/2009) salary of the position in CA, Atascadero, this employer
Registered NurseSher Institute For Reproductive Medicine$80kGlendale, CA (04/2004) salary of the position in CA, Glendale, this employer
Registered NurseAtascadero State Hospital$79kAtascadero, CA (05/2009) salary of the position in CA, Atascadero, this employer
Registered NurseAtascadero State Hospital$79kAtascadero, CA (03/2009) salary of the position in CA, Atascadero, this employer
Registered NurseAtascadero State Hospital$79kAtascadero, CA (01/2009) salary of the position in CA, Atascadero, this employer

Just like every greedy toad who was hired at the State or State-enforced trough for the last 10-20 years... they are now pissed that someone may attempt to decrease their "gravy train".

This is why they Marched on Meg Whitman's home.

This March actually strongly resolves my desire to vote for Meg Whitman.

Old 07-25-2010, 07:32 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,386,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AwayAndBackToSac View Post
This March actually strongly resolves my desire to vote for Meg Whitman.
I don't think the nurses march on Whitman's home was why you are voting for her, is it? Republicans have a hard fight getting elected for statewide office in California and why Whitman is trying her hardest to play both sides of the issues. But if Whitman happens to be elected more power to her. She will however need to deal with a legislature that spits out governors and an electorate that readily over rules governors, legislators and court justices. Why anyone would want to be governor in today's California is beyond me especially someone willing to spend $100 million of her own money.

Old 07-25-2010, 07:41 PM

206 posts, read 416,581 times
Once upon a time, when the economy was booming, private sector pay was way higher than public sector. Most of the big companies had pensions and lifetime healthcare and you had stock options too. They cut those things one by one. The public sector has maintained the same. Now that everything has collapsed-all of a sudden the public sector looks extremely lucrative-not only do they get higher pay, they get better benefits and job security and a good pension.

It is natural to look at that and wan't them to suffer with the rest of us. It will come-those are our taxes and people will start fighting them and they can be adjusted downwards. But that is not going to solve anything. Our problem is folks of the Whitman/Fiorina mould who have offshored millions and millions of jobs and created this economic model, where most jobs can be done anywhere. Anericans are supposed to compete with someone making 1/10th their wages.

Whitman wants more of the same-lets fire more workers and offshore and hey free trade will fix this economy-Woohoo. (She does call for firing 40,000 workers and more H1B workers)It isn't going to change by itself-unless the dollar collapses and we become equal to them in wages. Now I am not happy with the democrats either-they won't even talk about this issue and treat this recession like it is a regular cycle-it is not. There is a major problem.
All I will say is I am glad I am retired and not some fresh college kid out of college looking for a job in this "new" world.

Old 07-25-2010, 07:45 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,695,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
...But if Whitman happens to be elected more power to her. She will however need to deal with a legislature that spits out governors and an electorate that readily over rules governors, legislators and court justices. Why anyone would want to be governor in today's California is beyond me especially someone willing to spend $100 million of her own money.
Maybe she thinks she can make a difference and change things. I'm not saying she will be able to pull it off. I also think Arnold tried. He obviously wasn't in it for the money either. But it's not an easy position for anyone to tackle with the stranglehold the legislature has on the state. And I don't think the unions are helping the state's ecomonic condition right now either. Although some will blindly rally behind them regardless of what benefit they actually provide the state and it's residents.

Derek

Old 07-25-2010, 07:48 PM

212 posts, read 475,990 times
Quote:
I don't think the nurses march on Whitman's home was why you are voting for her, is it? Republicans have a hard fight getting elected for statewide office in California and why Whitman is trying her hardest to play both sides of the issues. But if Whitman happens to be elected more power to her. She will however need to deal with a legislature that spits out governors and an electorate that readily over rules governors, legislators and court justices. Why anyone would want to be governor in today's California is beyond me especially someone willing to spend $100 million of her own money.

Actually, when "State employees" or "State-mandated" overcompensated employees are scared of a particular candidate... That sends a strong red flag, that this may be EXACTLY who we need in office.

If you haven't noticed we can't afford the state employees, pensions and contracts we've got currently. One thing I can pretty much guaranty, Moonbeam and the Democrat legislature will not fix the situation to the tax-payers benefit.

...which will continue the current fiscal downward spiral.

Old 07-25-2010, 07:54 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,695,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smh1 View Post
All I will say is I am glad I am retired and not some fresh college kid out of college looking for a job in this "new" world.
We are too. Sorry I couldn't resist.

Let those starry eyed youngsters who think they can actually make a difference/improve things give it their best shot. Imagine if they all started out jaded with zero hope of success/improvement?

-- Where there is no vision the people perish.

Derek

Old 07-25-2010, 08:26 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smh1 View Post
Once upon a time, when the economy was booming, private sector pay was way higher than public sector. Most of the big companies had pensions and lifetime healthcare and you had stock options too. They cut those things one by one. The public sector has maintained the same. Now that everything has collapsed-all of a sudden the public sector looks extremely lucrative-not only do they get higher pay, they get better benefits and job security and a good pension.

It is natural to look at that and wan't them to suffer with the rest of us. It will come-those are our taxes and people will start fighting them and they can be adjusted downwards. But that is not going to solve anything. Our problem is folks of the Whitman/Fiorina mould who have offshored millions and millions of jobs and created this economic model, where most jobs can be done anywhere. Anericans are supposed to compete with someone making 1/10th their wages.

Whitman wants more of the same-lets fire more workers and offshore and hey free trade will fix this economy-Woohoo. (She does call for firing 40,000 workers and more H1B workers)It isn't going to change by itself-unless the dollar collapses and we become equal to them in wages. Now I am not happy with the democrats either-they won't even talk about this issue and treat this recession like it is a regular cycle-it is not. There is a major problem.
The point is they, the public sector works for us... nothing more or less.

I dare say the entire notion of the Public Servant doesn't even exist anymore...

12 from my High School Class went into law enforcement... most are retired with credit for 30 years with great pensions... as much as 180k per year with lifetime medical... I just don't foresee how this is sustainable...

Old 07-25-2010, 08:27 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,386,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Maybe she thinks she can make a difference and change things. I'm not saying she will be able to pull it off. I also think Arnold tried. He obviously wasn't in it for the money either. But it's not an easy position for anyone to tackle with the stranglehold the legislature has on the state. And I don't think the unions are helping the state's ecomonic condition right now either. Although some will blindly rally behind them regardless of what benefit they actually provide the state and it's residents.

Derek
Maybe I am pessimistic but if someone like Arnold [great personality\ persona, actor, married to a Kennedy] couldn't accomplish much in Sacramento how is Whitman going to survive? She doesn't impress me as someone who can negotiate or be able to handle the many crises [budget, natural disasters, border control] that regularly befall California. I like that she is a woman and surprised that California has never had a woman governor but Whitman doesn't come across as a "tough as nails" person like Napolitano was in Arizona. Maybe I am underestimating Meg since she is the CEO of a major company but she is avoiding debates which makes me think she is not eager to stand before California voters and talk directly to us along side Jerry Brown.

Old 07-25-2010, 08:54 PM

1,687 posts, read 6,072,757 times
Quote:
Maybe I am pessimistic but if someone like Arnold [great personality\ persona, actor, married to a Kennedy] couldn't accomplish much in Sacramento how is Whitman going to survive?
It depends if voters just reelect incumbents to the legislature or if they start cleaning house. Arnold dealt with the status quo and protected seats.

And if voters blame mainly the Democrats (as the dominant party) in the Legislature for California's ills like a late/no budget, overborrowing, tax increases, program cuts, etc then Sacramento will be very different for the new governor whoever it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California