Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 08:33 AM

774 posts, read 1,857,339 times

Advertisements

I'm originally from the California San Francisco-Oakland-Berkeley Bay Area. I very recently relocated to the Midwest. I'm here looking over the "Heartland" and the South to find where I want to live.

All my friends back in the Bay were shocked when I told them of my plans. I also talked about my plans to strangers in places like coffee shops and grocery stores.

I'm curious ... how many people feel that Californians are more "aware" ... more sophisticated ... less racists ... more intelligent and loving than people in other states?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2007, 08:38 AM

4,610 posts, read 11,101,365 times
I also feel that way. California seems more progressive. I feel I have stepped back in time where I'm living now and it's not in a good way.

Old 06-28-2007, 08:52 AM

9 posts, read 40,437 times
That is the impression I get of the people when I visit there. I love Californians! Any place else you live will be a big adjustment, especially in small rural towns!

Old 06-28-2007, 09:25 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,309,354 times
I don't know if being progressive is always a positive thing. Personally I have enjoyed stepping back in time. And to be honest...people are people and if they are friendly they are going to be friendly anywhere they may be. But Anikobell is right...small, rural towns in other states could very well require some big adjustments for people moving to them from CA!!!

Old 06-28-2007, 09:55 AM

30,902 posts, read 32,998,960 times
Uh...what was the question again?

Ah hah hah hah, just kidding.

Old 06-28-2007, 09:59 AM

2,153 posts, read 5,537,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veganwriter View Post
I'm curious ... how many people feel that Californians are more "aware" ... more sophisticated ... less racists ... more intelligent and loving than people in other states?
This is all complete and utter nonsense.

Old 06-28-2007, 10:32 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,216,682 times
I find that California is more receptive in a general way of all folks than the midwest and east. I find that folks in the midwest are more inclined to try and convince you of the wisdom of their points of view than folks in California TO SOME DEGREE. I find folks in the east tend to be fairly cold relative to the midwest and California, and more self contained. If you belong to their group, be it religious or otherwise, they are more apt to accept you than if you are an outsider.

However, I find Californians to be pretty independent, so the level of interaction isn't that significant. I guess if I had to sum it up, it seems to me Californians in general are more accepting but generally keep relationships at arms length.

Old 06-28-2007, 02:39 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veganwriter View Post
Perhaps we should ask some of the graduates of the Los Angeles Unified School District.

Old 06-28-2007, 02:42 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,449,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Perhaps we should ask some of the graduates of the Los Angeles Unified School District.
Assuming they could actually read the question in English.

Old 06-28-2007, 04:08 PM

74 posts, read 713,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
However, I find Californians to be pretty independent, so the level of interaction isn't that significant. I guess if I had to sum it up, it seems to me Californians in general are more accepting but generally keep relationships at arms length.
I think this is a very accurate description. IMHO, Californians are in general more open-minded and accepting of all types of people but definitely not the most friendly. I would give the most friendly/hospitable award to the Southern states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California