Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: I would never vote for Whitman, Brown is the better choice
Registered Republican 1 4.17%
Registered Democrat 14 58.33%
neither 9 37.50%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 03:12 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,695,180 times

Advertisements

With the national political trend moving strongly in favor of republican candidates even in states which normally vote for dems odds are in Whitman's favor. The latest CA polls indicate this trend as well. But along with this news seems to be a lot of forum talk out about Whitman spending too much of her money campaining, etc...

So I am just curious which demographic this represents. Obviously some will have a whole hosts of reasons as to why. But I am more interested in the numbers themselves.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 09-17-2010 at 03:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2010, 03:33 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,032,900 times
I don't really care what she spends on her campaign - it's her money. Jerry (MoonBeam) Brown had his shot at the brass ring years ago. I'm always up for letting a newbie take a stab at the 'ol economy. I don't really see how it could get much worse than it already is. The upside is ... it might actually improve at some point.

Old 09-17-2010, 03:52 PM

297 posts, read 766,702 times
Default won't vote for Whitman

I'll never vote for her because I worked at a subsidiary bought by eBay. Through inside sources I heard that while she was cutting back on expenses that benefited employees, she bought the corporate jet on the sly (not going through standard channels nor making any announcement). At eBay there is very much the typical old school hierarchical structure, despite being a newer company. I observed that the employees are generally overworked (and many jobs have been outsourced to India) and the executives had all kinds of leadership meetings and conferences in places like Telluride CO (Meg has a vacation home there) on a regular basis.

I don't care about her spending her own money, but when Whitman talks about fiscal responsibility, my experience of what she perceives that to be is that the little people need to get paid as little as possible and the old cronies get all the benefits of those cost savings.

Just to note, I'm an independent and am not fond of Jerry Brown either, so I'll vote for a 3rd party candidate if there is a decent one on the ballot, or I just won't vote for governor on my ballot at all.

Old 09-17-2010, 03:57 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,471,872 times
Your pole is slanted from the get-go. It doesn't count those of either party, or no party, who WOULD vote for E-Meg! As a result, it leans significantly toward the Dems and the results are meaningless in terms of predicting outcomes.

If I was still in California this might be a year in which I'd not vote for either candidate as neither has swayed me by presenting a coherent vision and hard, fast policy statements. To prattle about "change" is easy. To effect it takes a combination of vision and supporting policy determinations. Where are they? One is in bed with the unions, throws around "experience" and will leave certain decisions up to the electorate. That's part of what got the state into trouble to begin with. The other pretends to be in bed with business and uber-conservatives but throws around money, threatens lay-offs during a recession but little else.

To me, neither is inspiring and it's sad that California seems unable to come up with better.

Old 09-17-2010, 04:08 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,214,577 times
I'm voting for neither Brown or Whitman. I cannot vote for Whitman because of the IPO stock issue when she was at Goldman Sachs. That crossed a line for me, and I view her actions as unethical.

Old 09-17-2010, 04:56 PM

26,726 posts, read 26,798,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
To me, neither is inspiring and it's sad that California seems unable to come up with better.
You said it. This is one election in which I can understand why people may not vote.
(I can't vote in this poll since although I would never vote for Whitman, I don't think Brown is the better choice.)

Old 09-17-2010, 05:27 PM

2,684 posts, read 7,382,338 times
What I think about this governor's election

And, as a student of Political Science, you asked a pretty leading question there. A vote for Meg Whitman =/= vote for Jerry Brown, at least in the literal sense of the term. Someone could not vote for EITHER Meg Whitman or Jerry Brown. But its ok!

As to why: I just don't trust her. What she does with her money, that's fine because at least its not OUR money, unlike what Jerry Brown might be doing behind the scenes with our money. She has this youthful enthusiasm about bringing change and instilling hope (a la Obama style) while possibly not even having ANY political experience. That MAY bring in a new perspective on the governorship, but for some reason, I doubt it (Schwarzenegger said exactly the same thing, and instead of making it better, he made it worse in the past few years)

But Jerry Brown, for some reason, thinking about voting for him makes me sick to my stomach.

Whoever it is, the next 4 years are going to be extra fun.

Old 09-17-2010, 06:07 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,409,775 times
I'll have to turn up my nose way high and cast my vote for Whitman. The more I hear Brown speak, the clearer it becomes that he doesn't know what he's talking about.

At least Whitman is BS'ing us loud and clear.

Old 09-17-2010, 08:45 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,695,180 times
Yeah, I know some will not vote at all or choose some other candidate on the ballot even if the person has no chance of winning. But it seems like there are many here who dislike Whitman enough that Brown will be their candidate of choice. As far as the numbers go all other options (candidates) are in the noise politically speaking.

Derek

Old 09-17-2010, 09:10 PM

434 posts, read 849,031 times
What a stupid pole. Better question is who in their right mind would vote for Moonbeam?

Plenty will vote for Whitman. Enough to get her elected. You guys are in for a downfall in six weeks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California