Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2010, 12:40 AM

1 posts, read 4,949 times

Advertisements

Our family has nine days to fly to Boise, spend two days, then drive to Disneyland via the Redwoods. Any ideas. I cannot even find the road maps to figure out which highways to take. I live in Alaska and am not familiar with the routes at all. I am not sure if this is a doable objective, but I really want my kids to see the trees that took my breath away as a child.
Thank you for any input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2010, 02:40 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,168,897 times
Do you have to drive back to Boise in that nine days? Or are you flying back from Southern California?

Just trying to figure out how much time you really have...

Old 10-27-2010, 02:42 AM

55 posts, read 126,718 times
I think you should be able to do it, but it's going to be a long haul. The Avenue of the Giants has the coolest trees in my opinion. There is other stuff you are going to want to see as well, but I dunno if you will have time. Here is what I would do it gives you a taste of the redwoods, the golden gate bridge, some of the Big Sur, through Malibu and Santa Monica, then takes you through LA on the way to Anaheim. It might be more of a 3 or 4 day trip if you stop a lot though I dunno, if push comes to shove you could just take Highway 5 after San Fransisco to save some time.

Hopefully someone else can look at this route too and say if it's feasible or not.

Boise, ID to Fairfield Inn Anaheim Disneyland Resort - Google Maps

Old 10-27-2010, 09:03 AM

1,354 posts, read 6,377,182 times
The roads from Boise to the CA coast are not that great. Be careful of which roads you take. Be sure to carry chains because snow is already falling on some of the roads. Most of these areas are very remote and not heavily traveled. Cell phone reception is terrible. Be sure to gas up every chance you get because there are not many stops on these roads and many stations close early.

MapQuest Maps - Driving Directions - Map

This route takes you through Bend, Oregon, Crater Lake, Oregon, then into Crescent City, CA and down into Eureka.

Old 10-27-2010, 12:03 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,634,216 times
Howdy

You can take I-5 to Grants Pass, then hwy 199 to Jedediah Smith Redwoods State Park close to Smith River & Crescent City.

Jedediah Smith Redwoods - Bing

Then take 101 to Avenue of the Giants Redwoods.

http://www.bing.com/search?q=Avenue%...ds&form=SOLTLB

Have a Wonderful Adventure folks.

Old 10-27-2010, 12:16 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,741,992 times
Definitely carry chains and have a wonderful trip. You can get your redwoods fix either between Crescent City (don't forget to stop at Trees of Mystery , if they're open) and Orick (Lady Bird Johnson Grove, Fern Canyon) or also at Humboldt Redwoods State Park south of Garberville, Stay at the Ship Ashore in Smith River (just over the California border) or the Benbow Inn south of Garberville. Both have both hotel rooms and an RV park. Benbow is slightly ritzier. Welcome to California!

Old 10-27-2010, 07:22 PM

1,457 posts, read 6,030,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forddriver66 View Post
Our family has nine days to fly to Boise, spend two days, then drive to Disneyland via the Redwoods. Any ideas. I cannot even find the road maps to figure out which highways to take. I live in Alaska and am not familiar with the routes at all. I am not sure if this is a doable objective, but I really want my kids to see the trees that took my breath away as a child.
Thank you for any input.
Its very streamlined to get to the redwoods. Using Interstate 5 and taking 199 from Grants Pass, Oregon, to Crescent City, California, is one of best ways to begin the redwood adventure. The biggest and tallest are mostly located between Avenue of the Giants near Myers Flat and Cresent City area. About every 10 weeks, I seem to get down to the redwoods for 2 to 3 days at a time.

What do you want to know? Should be able to help you figure out a plan A and a plan B for the redwoods. Due to occassional tree blow-down, its handy to have a couple of options on what to see in what park. And there are enough maps that you can know exactly where you are headed before you even go down there.

The Tallest redwood Hyperion south of Larry Dam Creek is pretty much "off the grid". But other tall redwoods like Lady Bird Johnson grove higher up the hill, are easy to get too. That's a nice one for for fog in the canopy photos. Not far away in the same park is Tall Trees Grove. It has a previous tallest known redwood. But the drive and hike down could eat up half a day.

Although the largest ten coast redwoods are likewise off the grid, there are a bunch of really big ones in Jedediah Smith and Prairie Creek redwood parks right in plain sight. Stout Grove in Jedediah Smith is rather iconic. And would probably offer a nice collection of photos for memories if you have a camera. Prairie Creek beginning near the visitor center has a lot of nice trails in close proximity.

Last edited by mdvaden; 10-27-2010 at 07:37 PM..

Old 12-09-2010, 04:22 PM

82 posts, read 329,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdvaden View Post
Its very streamlined to get to the redwoods. Using Interstate 5 and taking 199 from Grants Pass, Oregon, to Crescent City, California, is one of best ways to begin the redwood adventure. The biggest and tallest are mostly located between Avenue of the Giants near Myers Flat and Cresent City area. About every 10 weeks, I seem to get down to the redwoods for 2 to 3 days at a time.
Still hoping to stumble upon the redwood Hyperion someday. One site gave a tip for where a few really tall ones are the the rockefeller tree, but not for the tallest of the tall. It sounds like its close to lost man creek. But thats still got a lot of redwoods to choose from.

Its so cold and rainy here lately that I'm just going to get some walking in on the regular trails. Next time the clouds clear a bit thinkin about doing a trail in prairie creek hidden in the redwoods on the side of the meadow.

That redwood above must be one of those grove of titans giants where lost monarch and del norte titan are. Man thats a giant trunk. Looks over twenty feet wide. Ginormous !!

Old 12-09-2010, 09:39 PM

1,457 posts, read 6,030,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obi_Wan_Kenobi View Post
Still hoping to stumble upon the redwood Hyperion someday. One site gave a tip for where a few really tall ones are the the rockefeller tree, but not for the tallest of the tall. It sounds like its close to lost man creek. But thats still got a lot of redwoods to choose from.
Obi Wan ... just keep on looking man. Maybe the force will be with you - LOL

The most generous I can offer at all about Hyperion is that May Creek and the upper headwater of Larry Dam Creek would be too far north to begin.

If you are up to a challenge, maybe put the redwood Hyperion on hold for several years and try the New Hope redwood instead. Sort of like adventure training wheels. And a very nice looking forest area at that.

Have 3 parks in mind for this month myself. Hope to hike near Avenue of the Giants, Prairie Creek and Redwood National Park. Probably all casual this time to try out a new wide angle lens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California