Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2008, 10:20 AM

21 posts, read 163,004 times

Advertisements

As a lot of people in this blog I want to move to California. I'm from Costa Rica. My family and I have a privileged economic situation here, which allow us to move with a really good condition to US or others countries that we are looking for like:Canada, France or Spain. I like quite a lot US, I've been there a lot of times and a really like California bc of the weather and the beaches. The thing is I don´t know the main differences between the cities like: calabasas, santa monica, san diego or san francisco. I am looking for:

a)safe and security (this is the main topic, thats why we are moving from CR, I mean I want to be laid- back at home, not thinking that somebody is going to assalt it and killing me or us too, the thing is we have a lot of violence in the crime and I don`t want this;

b) We are quite people, we enjoy good food bc we love to go out to eat, so I'd love a place with a lot of variety of restaurants.

c) Weather: it's a good issue. We love the outdoors activities and the beach.

d) Open minded: even if we won't be the typical immigrant in US, bc we are not looking for jobs and we can have a wealthy life (I`m sorry I really don´t want to sound pretty vain and rude). I`d like a place where I can fill in.

I appreciate your answers and I appologise for my bad English.

Paula
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2008, 02:26 PM

why no one answer my question?

Old 12-10-2008, 03:02 PM

764 posts, read 2,037,395 times
The cities you listed are all expensive places to live. Do you already have a job? Do you have job experience? Do you have an education? Will you rent an apartment? Rent a house? Do you have a budget for housing?

Old 12-10-2008, 03:13 PM

Hi Adriatica: thanks for answer me. Yes I have a good job and I've a good education too. I can do it from my home and I want to invest part of my savings too. At first I want to rent a condo or a house and maybe later I'll buy a house. My budget can be $150.ooo or $200.000 year. And with my savings and some mortage I might buy a house from $2.000.ooo to $3.000.000. I don´t want to sound vain but I'd like to have some advises.

Old 12-11-2008, 04:11 PM

2 posts, read 12,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apaulahc View Post
Hi Adriatica: thanks for answer me. Yes I have a good job and I've a good education too. I can do it from my home and I want to invest part of my savings too. At first I want to rent a condo or a house and maybe later I'll buy a house. My budget can be $150.ooo or $200.000 year. And with my savings and some mortage I might buy a house from $2.000.ooo to $3.000.000. I don´t want to sound vain but I'd like to have some advises.
Paula,

If you're talking about homes in the $2-3 million dollar range you've got a lot of options most of us don't have, however that budget will amazingly still keep you out of some of the more expensive neighborhoods if you can believe that.

In spite of some of the crazy laws, and crazy people, California is actually a really great place to live. Where else can you live where you've got great temperate weather year round, and the ability from most major cities go drive 2hrs in any direction and spend time at the beach, desert, forest, lakes or rivers. Of course the question you pose is difficult as California can be very different depending on what area you live in. I've had the opportunity to live in several places in California over the years, so I've got a fairly decent experience to draw upon.

For example, Southern California, in spite of its failed attempts to have this image of everyone being laid back slackers, is actually generally uptight and a relatively hectic environment. The LA area in particular is insanely vain and definitely not a place I'd want to live again with way too much focus on the outside image and not much on depth. Then again the Malibu area, in spite of its pretentious crowds is absolutely gorgeous and lots of fun can be had on the beach. I don't know what your thing is, if you'd prefer a remote cabin type arrangement up in the Tahoe hills or a coastal view and the ability to go to the beach daily, so its hard to even recommend one area over another.

Generally Socal is warmer and you've got better beach access in addition to excellent mountain range access for biking/hiking/etc, whereas norcal generally is flat and has less quickly accessible mountains unless you're up in the Sacramento/Tahoe area which is where I now live. You've also got the wine country areas like Solvang (touristy) and the Napa Solano Valley which I prefer and then of course you've got the major cities if you're that type, SF, LA, etc.

The Oakland hills actually has some very nice areas, but, well, you're in Oakland and I have little nice to say about that place in general having worked there for many years. The Berkeley area, while it has some awesome properties and interesting areas, thanks to the crazies that reside there is generally a blight on the entire state of CA and a bad representation of Americans.

I also don't know if you want to live somewhere that will have more seasonal change, colder in the winter with snow or if you want to live somewhere more or less sunny year round. I guess you didn't get much response because its such an open ended question.

Personally, I like the areas with forest and mountain access and I could care less about being around other people, remote cabin is my idea of paradise, I guess you'll have to tell us yours.

Old 12-11-2008, 09:50 PM

Ok. I love the beach I don´t know if I want to be in front of the beach or in a high place with amazings views. I love the mountains too and the forest. I don´t wanna be in remote places, bc I´m pretty concerned about the security.
I don´t pretend to be in the most expensive place. What I really what it a middle class place with oceans views.

I am not a very party girl neither. I love go out in a quite way, like go with friends to a delicius restaurant. I love the variety of food like LIbanese, French, Spanish, Mexica, Asian, etc. All night in clubs dancing, drinking.... etc, it`s not my style. I think I`m pretty bored person.

Eventhouhg I think the aparence it`s important it`s not my main issue. I do a lot of exercise it`s bc I eat a lot and bc of health. And even I love designer I dont like the idea the you "must use that or that" bc in fashion.. thats why I don´t think that I want to live in Los Angeles.

What I would like it`s live in a place with open-minded people, tolerant and educated... and have good quality of life and a safer place. Thats mean that I got to be careful but not have my house as a prison like in my country.. . because of the violence...

Thanks for you reply

Old 12-13-2008, 12:12 PM

5 posts, read 35,358 times
You might try North Bay Area- Mendocino, Marin- close to Bay, though too cold for swimming for most folks. You will find good access to food, clubs etc. Here is a wild thought, if you could forget the ocean, Santa Fe NM is wonderful for food, culture etc. I lived there almost 10 years before moving to No. CA. I'm not a party gal either and loved the down to earth atmosphere. I could recommend realtor for you there if interested in visiting. You also might consider Santa Cruz area for mountains and access to beach- Los Gatos is a very nice location, pricey. Wont have ocean views but short drive away.

Also, I live in what many would consider remote location and have NO security concerns. we don't lock our home or take keys out of car. You can still leave your car running while you go into the post office.

Old 12-13-2008, 05:23 PM

OMG this is a dream for me... I`d love this kind of life, without security concerns... its a paradise.
I`d love if you recomend me this realtor that you know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California