Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 02:44 AM

34 posts, read 84,364 times

Advertisements

In California

ER (environmental responsibilty)
An unwelcome topic for some yet California is leading in this area in the US with new initiatives in green technologies and infrastructure being convened and implemented by Californian government and companies.

new green car invented in california

new startups in other new green technologies

A hotspot for innovation in other areas

Large investments happening in California

Leading in IT with Yahoo, Google and other major IT companies based in california

Isn't it time some of the other US states starting following the Calfornian lead again and bringing green technologies to the fore across all the US states.

The greedy cash soaked oilmen wail with No but the pollution stained earth and commonsense cries with the resounding Yes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2010, 01:04 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,573,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aspurr View Post
In California

ER (environmental responsibilty)
An unwelcome topic for some yet California is leading in this area in the US with new initiatives in green technologies and infrastructure being convened and implemented by Californian government and companies.

new green car invented in california

new startups in other new green technologies

A hotspot for innovation in other areas

Large investments happening in California

Leading in IT with Yahoo, Google and other major IT companies based in california

America is "slowly" turning away from "Black Gold" "Texas Tea"
toward "green industrial projects" , but this process is going to
take somewhere near 30 years.

Isn't it time some of the other US states starting following the Calfornian lead again and bringing green technologies to the fore across all the US states.

All of the "green" with envy states are laughing at California....

The greedy cash soaked oilmen wail with No but the pollution stained earth and commonsense cries with the resounding Yes
American have to see "jobs" associated with the "Green Movement"
before they jump the "Oil Ships" in the middle of the Ocean!!!!

Old 01-31-2010, 02:21 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,001,177 times
California will be back. Hopefully in a leaner operating mode with fewer entitlement programs.

Maybe a dose of sensible business regulations would help.

Old 01-31-2010, 02:43 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,343,273 times
When was it not?

Old 01-31-2010, 02:58 PM

3,078 posts, read 11,060,716 times
Having lived in several states, I definitely think that CA leads the US in general. Love it or hate it, CA is the state that tries new things, ideas, and ways of living. Sometimes they work and sometimes they don't, but at least they're doing something different than they were in the 1700's, unlike many other states of the Union.

Now, there may be other states that qualify as "leaders", but I just haven't lived in them yet.

Old 01-31-2010, 06:41 PM

641 posts, read 1,072,319 times
Silly business ideas that would not work without government subsidies.

California leads the US in irresponsible fiscal behavior, and that is common knowledge.

* over 3,000 Californians leave the state every week. *

http://www.foxandhoundsdaily.com/blog/michelle-steel/6174-fortune-500’s-flee-california (broken link)

Old 01-31-2010, 07:03 PM

1,604 posts, read 3,883,925 times
NJ might just give CA a run for it's "green" money in the form of off shore wind farms. Supposedly there's enough wind power off the coast to power the entire state, and then some!

But yes, being that Silicone Valley is that way, I'm not surprised CA is getting more green tech

Old 01-31-2010, 07:51 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,659,817 times
California is still in a world of hurt. High unemployment, giant state fiscal issues, and without immigration, a continued population exodus.

Old 01-31-2010, 08:39 PM

2,684 posts, read 7,379,593 times
As a Californian resident, all I have to say is 'maybe when infrastructure is better'.

If you've driven on any Californian freeway lately, be prepared to hear a musical of sorts as your car hits pothole after pothole, goes between cracks, and the sounds of the treads off your tires slowly eroding because it doesn't understand the definition of 'getting ready for a rough ride'. By far, the worst rural interstate I've ever driven is I-5 between SF and LA. For such a busy highway, its so poorly maintained. CalTrans has to be, by far, the most inefficient part of the state government. If you've ever driven from Nevada into California, the difference is like day and night.

This is one, of many problems California needs to get over.

The financial crisis has hit every single state, so I have no idea why California gets special treatment here. Special to California is the size of the deficit, but that goes along with how large the state government and state economy is. It's also special how retarded the state government is ran, but that coincides with how retarded the average Californian voter is. You know, the type that votes for everything but doesn't want to pay for anything.

Quote:
California is still in a world of hurt. High unemployment, giant state fiscal issues, and without immigration, a continued population exodus.
I know you aren't the only person who does this, so I'm not picking on you in particular. I'm a bit bothered that "immigrants' don't count the same way as someone who's 'American' does? Do we suddenly not count? I'm sure this is the case for most Californians, but most of my friends (both in LA and the Bay Area) are either immigrants or children of immigrants from ALL around the world. I don't know what kind of immigrants or immigrant kids you all know, but all of my friends are pretty loyal to America and have parents who pay into the system.

It's pretty disheartening to see 'Well, if California had no immigrants...etc etc' Reality is, California has immigrants, and as far as I know, we're people. I know that illegal immigration is a huge problem (believe me, I'm from LA), but we're still people who contribute a whole lot to the American economy. Look at who runs the Silicon Valley firms. Look at who picks the vegetables in the fields. It sure ain't gonna be 'Jack and Jane Smith'.

Old 01-31-2010, 08:49 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,659,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post
As a Californian resident, all I have to say is 'maybe when infrastructure is better'.

If you've driven on any Californian freeway lately, be prepared to hear a musical of sorts as your car hits pothole after pothole, goes between cracks, and the sounds of the treads off your tires slowly eroding because it doesn't understand the definition of 'getting ready for a rough ride'. By far, the worst rural interstate I've ever driven is I-5 between SF and LA. For such a busy highway, its so poorly maintained. CalTrans has to be, by far, the most inefficient part of the state government. If you've ever driven from Nevada into California, the difference is like day and night.

This is one, of many problems California needs to get over.

The financial crisis has hit every single state, so I have no idea why California gets special treatment here. Special to California is the size of the deficit, but that goes along with how large the state government and state economy is. It's also special how retarded the state government is ran, but that coincides with how retarded the average Californian voter is. You know, the type that votes for everything but doesn't want to pay for anything.

I know you aren't the only person who does this, so I'm not picking on you in particular. I'm a bit bothered that "immigrants' don't count the same way as someone who's 'American' does? Do we suddenly not count? I'm sure this is the case for most Californians, but most of my friends (both in LA and the Bay Area) are either immigrants or children of immigrants from ALL around the world. I don't know what kind of immigrants or immigrant kids you all know, but all of my friends are pretty loyal to America and have parents who pay into the system.

It's pretty disheartening to see 'Well, if California had no immigrants...etc etc' Reality is, California has immigrants, and as far as I know, we're people. I know that illegal immigration is a huge problem (believe me, I'm from LA), but we're still people who contribute a whole lot to the American economy. Look at who runs the Silicon Valley firms. Look at who picks the vegetables in the fields. It sure ain't gonna be 'Jack and Jane Smith'.
I sincerely apologize if my comment came off as insensitive. I perhaps should have said, "illegal immigration". I have no issue with legal immigration, as that has indeed made up much of the U.S. population increase in the past century. The immigrant population of California has been beneficial to the economy in the long-term, but there is no argument that it has changed the makeup of the population. And there is nothing wrong with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California