Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 04:28 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,027,890 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don9 View Post
California will never be successful in collecting sales tax from Amazon. New York already tried this years ago and failed. California resorted to scare tactics and telling residence to claim purchases on state tax forms to collect tax but what they don't say is that its all voluntary ... or more a donation to the state.
Some people actually do claim out of state purchases on their tax returns. The public unions thank you for your donation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2011, 06:03 PM

2,311 posts, read 3,506,319 times
Democrats OK basic state budget without GOP - San Jose Mercury News
LULZ .. there it is boys and girls..
bwahaha, I've done a better job doing my assignment 1 hour before lecture than these guys..
for the lulz !

Old 06-15-2011, 06:59 PM

1,687 posts, read 6,074,312 times
Quote:
New York already tried this years ago and failed.
Amazon collects sales taxes for 5 states now, including New York.

Quote:
Items sold by Amazon.com LLC, or its subsidiaries, and shipped to destinations in the states of Kansas, Kentucky, New York, North Dakota, or Washington are subject to tax.
Amazon.com Help: Sales Tax
Although Amazon is challenging the NY law, the court told them they have to collect the tax until the case is decided. If NY loses, the state will have to refund the money to the taxpayer. The NY case will probably be the one to go all the way to the Supreme Court.

Meantime, Congress will likely see a bill introduced by Senator Dick Durbin in the next few weeks that give states the authority to make internet retailers collect sales tax. Previous attempts have failed in Congress so we will see where this one goes.

Old 06-15-2011, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FresnoFacts View Post

Although Amazon is challenging the NY law, the court told them they have to collect the tax until the case is decided. If NY loses, the state will have to refund the money to the taxpayer. The NY case will probably be the one to go all the way to the Supreme Court.

Meantime, Congress will likely see a bill introduced by Senator Dick Durbin in the next few weeks that give states the authority to make internet retailers collect sales tax. Previous attempts have failed in Congress so we will see where this one goes.
1 more year to go before I hit the high road. Hope I don't get my wallet pinched by these trolls in the meantime . It's hard to find online retailers outside of CA .. Put in a lot of work to hunt them down... Would suck if they ruined the pahrtay

Old 06-15-2011, 07:26 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,027,890 times
I just heard on kfi am 640 radio that the new budget includes a 1/4% tax increase & dmv fees will remain the same as they were last yr. The unions are happy & thats all that matters to the liars, thieves & whores.

Old 06-15-2011, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
I just heard on kfi am 640 radio that the new budget includes a 1/4% tax increase & dmv fees will remain the same as they were last yr. The unions are happy & thats all that matters to the liars, thieves & whores.
LOL, I am getting so lucky.. my departure next year is going to fall right before I have to reg. my vehicles

Old 06-15-2011, 08:43 PM

5,113 posts, read 5,973,187 times
Quote:

Are these the states that Amazon has a physical presence or Nexus?

Old 06-15-2011, 08:45 PM

5,113 posts, read 5,973,187 times
Quote:

Are these the states that Amazon has a physical presence or Nexus? or were they grandfathered in after the law was passed?

Old 06-15-2011, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Are these the states that Amazon has a physical presence or Nexus? or were they grandfathered in after the law was passed?
Well, looks like the idiots in california are going after Amazon and others based on 'Affiliates and Nexus' :
State lawmakers approve online sales tax - San Jose Mercury News

"Under federal law, states can tax sales only if the seller has a physical presence in the state. The California bill seeks to get past that issue by letting the state tax board collect from any retailer with a so-called business "nexus" or connection with an affiliate inside California. Supporters say it would make the tax code more fair, forcing Internet retailers to collect taxes just as brick-and-mortar stores already do."

>> They say big online retailers will avoid the tax by simply cutting off relations with their "affiliates," those in-state online partners whose websites help drive sales for the retailers in exchange for a small cut of the proceeds

BWAHHA, California .. Bunch of morons .. If you make revenue from Amazon by being an affiliate get ready to kiss your paycheck goodbye...

So, this will actually negatively impact California tax revenue if passed... why? Because amazon is simply going to can all of its connections in the state (which generate tax revenue) like they already have :
Hawaii Joins List of Amazon's Affiliate Closures - InternetNews.com

and also.. LOL, they aren't going to have to tax sales then..

bwahahaha, more monies for my pocket.. Nice try California

Old 06-15-2011, 11:41 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,455,391 times
I wonder how many people actually make a living off their affiliate account. I made a few (very few) bucks off mine but I guess that's over. Oh well, I've saved more by shopping on Amazon than I ever made off the affiliate account and that won't change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California