Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 10:52 AM

6,390 posts, read 9,686,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Los Padres National Forest officials announced plans to hold a job fair at the Casitas Fire Station at 3333 Casitas Pass Road (Highway 150) in Ventura on Saturday, December 10, from 11:00 am until 1:00 pm.

The job fair is free of charge and open to all members of the public seeking information about seasonal wildland firefighting jobs with the U.S. Forest Service.

Representatives of Los Padres National Forest fire staff will share information and answer questions for anyone interested in pursuing a career as a wildland firefighter. Suppression equipment such as fire engines and other specialized gear used by wildland firefighters will also be on-hand. Information about vacant temporary and seasonal positions will be available along with instructions on the Internet-based application process.
There are few ways for an 18-25 year old young person to make more money in a season that wildland fire. And you will give a little back to your state and country.

Last edited by .highnlite; 12-12-2011 at 11:15 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2011, 09:41 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,950,586 times
Cal Fire (CDF) also hires seasonal forest fire fighters. That's how I started out, and I put high value on those two seasons spent fighting wildfires way back in the mists of time. Helped to grow me the f up.

Old 12-13-2011, 07:18 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,257,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Cal Fire (CDF) also hires seasonal forest fire fighters. That's how I started out, and I put high value on those two seasons spent fighting wildfires way back in the mists of time. Helped to grow me the f up.
Something tells me you'll appreciate this tune:

Cold Missouri waters. Mann gulch Tribute - YouTube

Old 12-14-2011, 12:35 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,313,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Amen Brother!

Old 12-14-2011, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Something tells me you'll appreciate this tune:

Cold Missouri waters. Mann gulch Tribute - YouTube
The first time I heard that song, I broke down, had to pull over to the side of the road. It is one of those once in a life time songs.

Norman McLean wrote a book about the incident, Young Men and Fire"

His son John McLean wrote one about the South Canyon Fire, Fire on the Mountain

Most of us firefighters have had close calls, those books show how close the fine line can be.

Both illustrate how small mistakes lead to large tragedies.

Fontucky, CDF paid salary, don't know if they still do, same income no matter how many hours worked. USFS pays wage, more hours more money, lots of overtime on fires with Hazard Pay, which brings the wage to time and 3/4s.

I also highly recommend Nevada Division of Forestry, Nevada is still a frontier, and an excellent place for young people with spirit.

I recommend wild fire for young men and women who want to "prove themselves" the work is hard and demanding, but no one is shooting at you. While the two incidents above did result in fatalities, every effort is made to protect crews. Most fatalities come from "operator error"

I also think, that giving back to your state and country is a good thing, far to many young people don't... and that is too bad.

Old 12-14-2011, 01:17 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,900,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
The first time I heard that song, I broke down, had to pull over to the side of the road. It is one of those once in a life time songs.

Norman McLean wrote a book about the incident, Young Men and Fire"

His son John McLean wrote one about the South Canyon Fire, Fire on the Mountain

Most of us firefighters have had close calls, those books show how close the fine line can be.

Both illustrate how small mistakes lead to large tragedies.

Fontucky, CDF paid salary, don't know if they still do, same income no matter how many hours worked. USFS pays wage, more hours more money, lots of overtime on fires with Hazard Pay, which brings the wage to time and 3/4s.

I also highly recommend Nevada Division of Forestry, Nevada is still a frontier, and an excellent place for young people with spirit.

I recommend wild fire for young men and women who want to "prove themselves" the work is hard and demanding, but no one is shooting at you. While the two incidents above did result in fatalities, every effort is made to protect crews. Most fatalities come from "operator error"

I also think, that giving back to your state and country is a good thing, far to many young people don't... and that is too bad.
As one who did "serve" by being shot at -- and who also fought in wildfires [only] twice, I uh can verify that fighting fires is not short on adrenaline nor for the faint of heart -- and a much better application of human commitment than killing your fellow man at the request of industrialists and bankers.

Old 12-14-2011, 01:20 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,090,021 times
I'd imagine that a 18~25 would be better served focusing on his education rather than risking his life for peanuts....

Old 12-14-2011, 01:28 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,900,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
I'd imagine that a 18~25 would be better served focusing on his education rather than risking his life for peanuts....
Yes, we all know you would imagine that ...

Old 12-14-2011, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Peter Pan's abound.

Old 12-14-2011, 01:57 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,164,063 times
How does posting a link for a job fair that was several days ago in Ventura help anyone here who needs a job. LoL!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
View detailed profiles of: