Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 05:06 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Employer's are now out of the loop and insurance companies will provide the bf coverage directly to the policy holder...I like where this is going.
Not exactly and I think this is far from over.

The reason is many religious organizations are self insured... even if they have a health plan covering 200,000 individuals as does the Southern Baptist Convention...

So saying the insurers will have to bear the burden is no improvement for those self-insured.

Old 02-10-2012, 05:10 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,950,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
I doubt that we'll be hearing from user_id again on the topic of employment discrimination by religious institutions. If he comes back, he'll change the subject.
Oh ye of little user_id experience...

Old 02-10-2012, 05:19 PM

4,254 posts, read 5,607,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
I'm welcome for what? I'm aware of the religious organization exception ...
No, you were not aware of the religious organization exemption. You said:

"the college isn't allowed to restrict employment based on faith"

and:

"here you have an institution that can't legally hire based on religion"

You were wrong. You had absolutely no basis for making those statements. The EEOC exemption page that I quoted for you, and which you apparently did not read, spells it all out. Let's look at the EEOC's criteria to determine whether they apply to Thomas Aquinas College:

Factors to consider that would indicate whether an entity is religious include: whether its articles of incorporation state a religious purpose;

They do.

whether its day-to-day operations are religious

They are.

(e.g., are the services the entity performs,

Check.

the product it produces,

N/A

or the educational curriculum it provides directed toward propagation of the religion?);

Absolutely.

whether it is not-for-profit;

It is.

and whether it affiliated with, or supported by, a church or other religious organization.

Of course: the Catholic Church.

So, user_id, what you need to do is admit that you made two utterly false statements which you hereby retract, on a subject about which you were in fact completely ignorant, and that you have been decisively proven wrong in this forum.

Old 02-10-2012, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Oh ye of little user_id experience...
I stand corrected.

Old 02-10-2012, 05:23 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,900,367 times
Quote:
... I doubt that we'll be hearing from user_id again on the topic of employment discrimination by religious institutions. If he comes back, he'll change the subject.
... followed by:
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
I'm welcome for what? I'm aware of the religious organization exception, but its often difficult for colleges to quality as such (especially true if they deal with public financial aid). It depends entirely on the details of the organization....and its doubtful any non-Catholic faculty would even bother applying so they'd never need to test the legality of their oath in the first place. But, to say it again, their oath was just for faculty members. Regardless of legality, its just bad policy for a college to discriminate against the majority (non-Catholics) for jobs that have nothing to do with religion (i.e., non-faculty staff).

Anyhow, whether or not all its employees are Catholic or not, one has to be amused by the denial of the mere availability or something. I guess they are worried about people having moments of sanity when they are not around church officials....?
You were saying, Pilgrim?

Old 02-10-2012, 05:25 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,950,586 times
He stands corrected.

Old 02-10-2012, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
... followed by:

You were saying, Pilgrim?
You got me.

Old 02-10-2012, 05:48 PM

Quote:
You got me.
I am tempted to respond with: "... o' ye of little faith ..." ... but I'm gonna let it pass, so to speak

Old 02-10-2012, 08:39 PM

All righty then ... now that the ice has been broken, and I didn't have anything to do with it this time: dog pile:

Sure ... good idea: opposing birth control ... because, as everyone can see, the world -- at 7 billion and counting rapidly -- still doesn't have near enough people ... or is it just: not enough Catholics? After all, the 1st world Catholics are dropping the religion like a bad habit ... which seems to be connected to: the more educated and culturally sophisticated people become, the less likely they are to continue kneeling for papal bull ... so the Vatican focuses like the devil on recruiting primitives and third-world sufferers to fill its quotas for the future.

As usual, this whole resistance has nothing to do with honoring the wisdom and beauty of Christ. It is a sham in the name of religion.

Old 02-10-2012, 09:05 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,222,159 times
Topic becoming too P&OCish, and is now closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California