Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 08:03 PM

8 posts, read 19,831 times

Advertisements

Hello,

We might be moving to SLO/Santa Maria area from the Sacramento area in the next few months for a possible job for my husband. We have two young children. We are not sure if we would buy or rent at first. Here is what we are looking for:

*3-4 bedroom home, monthly rent maximum of $2400. If we buy, maximum of $650,000, large lot (.5 acre or more)

*Community feel

*Good private elementary school options (preferably Christian)

*Not too far from the ocean

*Not too hot (I understand that this area has microclimates?) Fog is fine. We prefer cooler temperatures over hot.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2011, 09:25 PM

297 posts, read 402,318 times
There is a HUGE difference between SLO and Santa Maria. Which city is the job in? Currently I live in SLO and work in Santa Maria. While the commute is doable. I wouldn't recommend it.

Old 06-17-2011, 09:27 PM

Also, the Arroyo Grande/Grover Beach area is pretty much exactly between SLO and Santa Maria and might be an option for you.

Old 06-17-2011, 09:50 PM

8 posts, read 19,831 times
His job would be based out of Santa Maria but he would do quite a bit of day travel throughout the Central Coast area. He may not even drive to the office everyday. We are open to towns/cities within a 40 mile radius. Thanks!

Old 06-18-2011, 08:37 AM

6,390 posts, read 9,703,648 times
Nipomo

Old 06-18-2011, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
Nipomo
I've heard that some gang activity (from Santa Maria of course) has been spreading to parts of Nipomo. I don't have a link on this, but again, something I remember hearing. And actually I did witness a young man showing a gang sign to a van that drove my him as he was walking down the street on the west side of Nipomo. Also, if you live in Nipomo you are going to have to commute for most everything as the shopping there is still pretty limited.

Old 06-18-2011, 10:05 AM

Those who worry about gangs need to find something else to worry about. Gangs don't bother people who are not in gangs.

In Nipomo there might be 10 guys who think they are gang members, but they are just hick wannabes.

Even in Santa Maria which has a large gang component you can live your whole live without ever interacting with a gang.

Nipomo has a Supermarket, a hardware store and Vons, what other shopping would be needed?

From Nipomo you can get to the Santa Maria Costco quicker than you can get from Tank Farm Road to Foothill Blvd.

Old 06-18-2011, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Those who worry about gangs need to find something else to worry about. Gangs don't bother people who are not in gangs.
While I agree that gangs will get in fights with other gangs mostly. I do believe there is a rather large threat of vandalism, robberies/burglaries. Particularly car burglaries.

Quote:
Nipomo has a Supermarket, a hardware store and Vons, what other shopping would be needed?

From Nipomo you can get to the Santa Maria Costco quicker than you can get from Tank Farm Road to Foothill Blvd.
Haha, okay, I know you can live off of just the stores in Nipomo. But I know I would like more choices myself and I am pretty sure most people probably would too. I am sure there are many things they don't have. Movie theaters, specialty ethnic restaurants of all types, grocery store other than Vons, and many other stores obviously.

I would agree it probably is a little quicker. That's pretty much driving all the way across the city.

Old 06-18-2011, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalobrandon View Post
While I agree that gangs will get in fights with other gangs mostly. I do believe there is a rather large threat of vandalism, robberies/burglaries. Particularly car burglaries.

Haha, okay, I know you can live off of just the stores in Nipomo. But I know I would like more choices myself and I am pretty sure most people probably would too. I am sure there are many things they don't have. Movie theaters, specialty ethnic restaurants of all types, grocery store other than Vons, and many other stores obviously.

I would agree it probably is a little quicker. That's pretty much driving all the way across the city.
Well, I dunno, we have not locked our home in 20+ years and seldom take the keys out of the truck ignitions, except in towns. Gangs don't pay much attention to other people.

specialty ethnic restaurants, Nipomo has Antonios. If you want something it is an easy drive, but if you want a bit of acreage and other christians to hang around with Nipomo works well, property values are a little less there than SLO, or Arroyo Grande.

Old 06-18-2011, 07:37 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,777,214 times
The commute to Santa Maria is not bad at all. Many people I know do it.

San Luis Obispo is a college town. Large college, walkable downtown, and natural grocery markets.

Santa Maria is a sprawl town. A mall, strip malls, run down and safe parts (closer to Orcutt is good part), parks, and affordable.

SLO being a college town is way more pricey. AG is a little less pricey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California