Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2012, 01:51 PM

3 posts, read 2,628 times

Advertisements

Hey there;

I'm a current Undergraduate student studying the Computing (Application Development) Program at my University. This can lead off to work for such companies as Microsoft and I've been informed of the Mountain View, base that Microsoft has.

I'm hoping to move out abroad and California was a place I'd considered. I'm looking for more information on the following subject areas;

* Accommodation / Houses to purchase; Looking at how much, where the best place would be to live, etc.
* Economy / Money Matters; Is it difficult to make the change from GBP to USD? Would it be better to save money and then move out, or move out with just enough, and make my living in california?
* Government / Politics; Is it difficult getting used to the different way the government works? Like President elections, and California's version of my local MP.
* Taxes and Health care; Also something that works differently to the UK, You pay for healthcare differently to we do, how does that work? And the tax system?
* Social life / New start; Is it good to be alone for a new start in a new country, or would it be advisable to bring a friend or someone else I know? What's it like having a new start in a completely new country without any family or friends around you?

I know it's a lot, and I dont expect one person to answer it all, but any and all information available is really helpful.

I plan to make a holiday trip out there at some point for a week or two, so i can see the sights and hopefully find out more information.

Thanks to all
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2012, 02:10 PM

168 posts, read 554,846 times
Before you even think about moving here:
1) have you started the immigration process
or
b) do you have a company sponsoring a work visa?

If no to either of these than you will not be able to work in the US legally.

Old 08-31-2012, 02:31 PM

I've still got two years on my Undergraduate degree so I havent looked into immigration; and I hadnt even thought about it until you mentioned it.

when's the best time to start the immigration process?

Old 08-31-2012, 02:32 PM

Now

Old 08-31-2012, 02:41 PM

Where do you look for more information on this?

Old 08-31-2012, 02:53 PM

you either a) need a US family member sponsor you b) have an employer sponsor you c) have a special "skill" lacking here in the US (depending on your IT skills) or d) win the immigration lottery

Conversely you can apply for a masters degree an use a student visa to gain access to the states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
View detailed profiles of: