Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2013, 06:27 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,686,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
The Texas I know is not flat and irrigated. Its not flat like Fresno and theres no ag industry in most like the central valley.
It is flat like Edna valley, compared to Cuesta Ridge. and there is a huge ag industry in Texas. It ranks #3 in the nation behind California and Iowa. 16 billion +- dollars

Small compared to CA though worth about $40 billion

Old 02-06-2013, 06:27 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,394,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
Yeah its been booming longer than that. Its certainly taken a hit, but I think the economy is and has to mature more like east coast cities that had their booms, then had their busts and now are flourishing again. California has too much to offer to suffer a rustbelt like decline. People will figure it out, even if that means it being people new to the state.
Now saying all that, doesnt take away from Texas which is in fact booming and isnt a bad place to live. The recession didnt impact Texas nearly as much, but again its got tremendous growth to fuel the economy here. Report came out today saying Texas has the #1,2,3 and 9th fastest growing metropolitan areas in the nation. It is what it is.
Good points. If CA were to experience a rust belt like decline, Oakland would have done so as it essentially was a rust belt city that happened to be located in CA so to speak.

Texas will grow as will places like Washington. They have plenty of room to grow. However when these states start to see the impacts on high, often dense populations, they too will have to regulate more just to keep things in check. If CA had few to no regulations, we would be just like China. Choking air and poluted land. China is what happens when a huge populated area is let to run amok.

Old 02-06-2013, 06:30 PM

3,980 posts, read 8,989,754 times
I haven't read through the entire thread (and I apologize if it's been already stated) , however...If Texas was doing so well and was such a great state to do business in, then why would anyone need to run an ad in California about it??

Somebody's worried. That's my take.

Old 02-06-2013, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post
I haven't read through the entire thread (and I apologize if it's been already stated) , however...If Texas was doing so well and was such a great state to do business in, then why would anyone need to run an ad in California about it??

Somebody's worried. That's my take.
Yeah it's been said but it's worth repeating do to the density of the intended audience.

Old 02-06-2013, 08:33 PM

2,311 posts, read 3,506,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
You are seriously barking up the wrong tree. I worked for Google the first part of 2012. Of course they are expanding, that's what companies do last I checked. They're expanding their main campus too in response to their continued growth elsewhere. Again, you've proven nothing except that you can take up have a page just to state a difference of opinion. Compensating for something?
Good .. which dept.? For all you know so have I... But I'm not going to go into who I work for. Indicating that you work in tech is good enough.

What I've stated is fact which is that tech titans in the valley have locations and innovative people working for them all over the U.S and world. You say you worked for Google .. One of the most global corporations out there yet you sit here acting as if the bay area and their location up shoreline is the end all be all of innovation. 30-40% of google's employees are not even in the U.S ... The staff hardly born and raised Californians that originate from that area. So, what are you compensating for?

Quote:
And yes Minnesota I believe has the highest standard of living in the country. I said California's was higher than that of Texas.
Who cares? I can hardly care that Minnesota's Standard of living is the highest in the country.. much like i could care how Texas compares to California.. 0.15812 difference? Who cares?

What I do care about as do individuals and corporations aside from sunny weather is their finances. If this wasn't as big an issue as you all like to snarkly portray, there would be no grand reason for corporations to have a large # of their employees outside of California .. Even when the company is founded in California

Quote:
I did not say that CA's was the best. Are we still talking about CA and TX or are you deflecting again?
The title is : Texas governor Rick Perry wants California businesses.
Yes, Rick perry wants Calif.'s businesses and it already has a large # of them.
As does Europe.. China... NY... India.. You name it.
It's called diversification and its called lowering company cost which allows a company to retain equal and sometimes better talent in geographic areas all over the world .. spreading the wealth/innovation/prosperity while making for better corporate earnings.
It's called Globalization and I'd much rather since jobs are going to naturally expand out of CA and into CA that they stay within our borders than some other country.

California's tax situation is garbage and so is its govt. The very corporations you're hollering about break their necks to avoid contributing to holy California yet you guys seemingly have a baby when a private citizen of this country reflects that they and others are doing the same.

Jeez. So, my commentary is very much on topic and is anything but deflection.. It's just a bit deeper and broad than most and based on actual sense.

Old 02-06-2013, 08:41 PM

2,311 posts, read 3,506,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
Its all relative and those immigrants are happy to earn and live where they are. Thats part of the massive demographic change thats been happening in California.
No massive influx of immigrants who have no generational experience in a country is good.
It creates reverse issues that this nation has been hard at trying to get through since the late 70s.
If you think a massive foreign influx such that 60-70% of a city is full of immigrants is good, I don't know what to say. It's one of the big reason a lot of this nation's core values that made it great are falling in the dirt and its becoming such a rat race. If California is willing to try a vast experiment in which the majority of are new 1st/2nd/3rd gen immigrants from mexico, china, and india.. I'm all for, as an american, watching from outside the state. One has to understand, with no American cultural influence, such regions will begin to start looking like the countries those immigrants came from.. And i'm sorry, I'm in no rush to become a citizen of any of them... Even there own aren't, which is why they're here.

Sunnyvale energy startup Bloom Energy penalized for bringing in Mexican workers, paying $2.66/hr in pesos - San Jose Mercury News

I am happy to read such things from afar and no longer see such crap on a daily basis at the high/low end of employment.

Old 02-06-2013, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahthatguy View Post
Good .. which dept.? For all you know so have I... But I'm not going to go into who I work for. Indicating that you work in tech is good enough.

What I've stated is fact which is that tech titans in the valley have locations and innovative people working for them all over the U.S and world. You say you worked for Google .. One of the most global corporations out there yet you sit here acting as if the bay area and their location up shoreline is the end all be all of innovation. 30-40% of google's employees are not even in the U.S ... The staff hardly born and raised Californians that originate from that area. So, what are you compensating for?

Who cares? I can hardly care that Minnesota's Standard of living is the highest in the country.. much like i could care how Texas compares to California.. 0.15812 difference? Who cares?

What I do care about as do individuals and corporations aside from sunny weather is their finances. If this wasn't as big an issue as you all like to snarkly portray, there would be no grand reason for corporations to have a large # of their employees outside of California .. Even when the company is founded in California

The title is : Texas governor Rick Perry wants California businesses.
Yes, Rick perry wants Calif.'s businesses and it already has a large # of them.
As does Europe.. China... NY... India.. You name it.
It's called diversification and its called lowering company cost which allows a company to retain equal and sometimes better talent in geographic areas all over the world .. spreading the wealth/innovation/prosperity while making for better corporate earnings.
It's called Globalization and I'd much rather since jobs are going to naturally expand out of CA and into CA that they stay within our borders than some other country.

California's tax situation is garbage and so is its govt. The very corporations you're hollering about break their necks to avoid contributing to holy California yet you guys seemingly have a baby when a private citizen of this country reflects that they and others are doing the same.

Jeez. So, my commentary is very much on topic and is anything but deflection.. It's just a bit deeper and broad than most and based on actual sense.
Really? It takes you 7 paragraphs? Watch this:

Don't say you're not going to go into who you work for right after asking me which department Nor have I ever said the Bay Area is some sort of end all. All I've ever said is that I love it a lot. In fact, you really don't know your audience well. Anyone who reads my posts as much as you seem to know full well that I've had my eye on moving out of state for a while myself. I haven't been back east true. But I'm hardly solely focused on the Bay Area. I'm familiar with a good part of the west coast from Rosarito Beach BC to Discovery Park Puget Sound. As for the rest of your "response" it was little more than repeating what I told you and responding to yourself.

See, don't need 7 paragraphs to tell you about yourself.

Old 02-06-2013, 09:00 PM

444 posts, read 665,595 times
Quote:
See, don't need 7 paragraphs to tell you about yourself.
Yeah and it seems like he gets lost in his own epic diatribe yawners. Sometimes it seems like he's arguing. . . .with himself. Poor sap.

Old 02-06-2013, 09:26 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,768,929 times
Quote:
Stable companies grow in a location, they aren't "jacked". Google started in CA and isn't going anywhere. It's successful here. Likewise Dell started in Texas and isn't going anywhere. (Angry Birds by the way isn't in this fight, it was started by Novio which is Finnish)

When companies like Google and Kaiser start packing up and moving, then I'll be worried. Both of these companies are expanding in the location headquarters. That doesn't give me much confidence that they are planning on leaving.
The thing is, Google has facilities all over the world, including several in U.S.

Data centers ? Google Data centers

How many do you find in California. This is just part of their out of California facilities.

They run their profits through tax free and low tax states and countries.

Google Revenues Sheltered in No-Tax Bermuda Soar to $10 Billion - Bloomberg

Just like Apple, who at this time is building their cloud facilities which is the future of the computer in places such as 2 in Nevada. 1 in Oregon. And they are doubling their Texas facilities by 3,.700 new jobs/. Apple puts their headquarters in California, but their money making facilities are being put in other states and even other countries, building their Computers outside California and the U.S. They pay their royalties to their very small office in Nevada, so they don't have to pay taxes in California. Apple hires and contracts for services and product manufacturing, in other states and countries, and these out of California operations employee a lot more people than they employ in California.

Apple like Google, has headquarters in California. However their profits are not made in California. They are made in other states without taxes such as Nevada, Texas, etc., and overseas where they do not have to pay taxes. Headquarters do not make money as it is set up to be all expenses, and the profitable parts are placed other places.

Old 02-06-2013, 09:30 PM

189 posts, read 362,420 times
Texas is an environmental disaster and the poor residents have no idea that their state will have the highest rates of cancer in the nation in about 5-10 years.

I've lived in Texas. I would never voluntarily live there again. Texas is full of racist, bigoted m-fers who think that their state is the greatest in the union, even while most of them have never even been outside the state.

No, Texas is *not* a great state to live and work. Take it from someone who has lived in lots of places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California