Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2013, 02:24 AM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,449,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senno View Post
Jesus, TVC. You just plagiarized yourself. You've posted that same info twice, word for word...

You owe me back the 10 seconds it took to scan your post..
No just copied and pasted...had to for that poster who failed to read before posting ignorance.

Old 02-20-2013, 02:27 AM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
Quote:
Hospital rankings. It's like deja vu all over again....
Well unfortunately it takes repetition for some folks to get it. Sad but true. If they could only understand the links that they post. I guess you can't fix stupid...

Old 02-20-2013, 02:35 AM

6,802 posts, read 6,716,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
Well unfortunately it takes repetition for some folks to get it. Sad but true. If they could only understand the links that they post. I guess you can't fix stupid...
Might take Texans a 4th try of Perry as governor I hear.

And that's how to go from Rick Perry to Leonards pipes and back to Rick Perry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
So now we have a Houston vs Austin Thread in the California Forum???
Senno took pity and brought this wonderful thread back on topic.

Last edited by Senno; 02-20-2013 at 02:45 AM..

Old 02-20-2013, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Might take Texans a 4th try of Perry as governor I hear.

And that's how to go from Rick Perry to Leonards pipes and back to Rick Perry.
And so what if they do pick him again...how has he hurt TX?

Actually I would be shocked if he is reelected but even if he is...he won't run TX into the ground.

Texas has done just fine with him as their Governor as well as all of the other Governors it has had...can't say that for CA or its Governors.

Old 02-20-2013, 02:48 AM

Quote:
And so what if they do pick him again...how has he hurt TX?

Actually I would be shocked if he is reelected but even if he is...he won't run TX into the ground.

Texas has done just fine with him as their Governor as well as all of the other Governors it has had...can't say that for CA or its Governors.
Hold on. I'm still recounting all the changes of topics we've been through in this thread.

Oy, what a short memory you have. Have you forgotten all the oil busts TX has been through? Boom, bust, boom. Been like that my whole life. Nothing new here.

Your comment on CA air reminds me to ask you if you drive a Prius?

You are the only poster I have asked to move to Montana as well. I'm 0 for 1 on that matter.

Old 02-20-2013, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techwired View Post
Is this a joke? Or maybe it's just another case of False Texas Arrogance -- Houston is a complete basket case, along with it's surrounding socially conservative counties that completely lack culture and vibrancy. Most Texans are not cultured, outside of TEXAS culture, or well traveled, especially compared to the vast majority of residents on both coasts. They're a good amount of Texans who don't travel outside of Texas or the South, never visit abroad, or experience anything outside of their protective shells, in fact many Texans have never been North of Dallas or South of Corpus Christi.
No you are a joke and and your post is full of BS. I lived in Houston for 43 years and would be a fool to try and claim that I know what most Texans are or where they have traveled. Interesting that in your 4 years you claim to know what most Texans do and yet I lived in TX for 45 years and have no clue what most Texans do with their time You are the epitome of ignorance in this post.

Quote:
Houston doesn't have a strong profile like other large U.S. cities (L.A., S.F, NYC, Chicago etc) and it lacks history, character, & any real sense of itself --
You are really looking very foolish right about now. Houston has a very strong profile in many things. It is a world class city...don't hate just because you are trapped in podunk slackerville Austin.

BTW Houston has a very rich history. Google can be your friend. Have you ever heard of the Battle of San Jacinto? Battle of San Jacinto - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Have you ever heard of the Allen Brother's? Allen's Landing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Wow the misinformation on here is astounding.

Quote:
The humidity in Houston from May through the middle of October is extreme and downright oppressive, especially compared to other parts of the country where it cools down in the evenings and the humidity and temps are much lower.
Some don't find the humidity oppressive at all. In fact some love it. So you don't like 6 months of the year in TX. The other 6 are pretty darn perfect.

Quote:
Forty percent of the areas economy is based on the oil, gas and petrochemical industry, which is extremely cyclical, and if and when that bubble bursts, many of its "cultured" transplants" will put Houston in the rear view mirror for good.
40% Wrong bucko! Houston has a very diverse economy. And 40% of its economy is NOT based on oil and gas. You don't know very much about Houston at all.

Quote:
Houston has a huge income disparity problem, and the overall job growth has primarily been in manufacturing and low paying hourly wage retail or Wal-Mart jobs -- Houston has the lowest percentage of its twenty-five and older population with a high school diploma in the country.
No you are wrong again...see above diagram.

What a clown you have made you yourself in this post.

Quote:
The city and coastal areas around Houston smell like oil and petrochemical refineries anytime you get an onshore wind blowing in from the Gulf during the summer months -- Houston is as pedestrian unfriendly as it gets and really a VERY ugly city that at times resembles a big swamp, full of dirty oil and petrochemical refineries, massive congestion, bombed out looking hoods, high crime rates, endless sprawl, and generic looking strip malls. A sweltering concrete mess with little natural beauty, culture or zoning regulations but number one in the amount of toxic chemicals released into water. Houston area roads are extremely congested, underfunded, and full of nasty pot-holes, all while the city still has an abysmal, almost non existent public transportation system.
Wow amazing that I lived there all of my life and never once encountered or observed anything you just posted. Are you sure you have ever stepped foot in Houston? If so I guess you ended up at the refineries area which is nowhere near the city of Houston. But if you want to talk about pot holes...just visit SF. It will tear your car up if you are not careful.

Quote:
Houston also has the distinction of regaining its title as "America's Fattest City" and once you leave the nicer parts of the metro, it seems that half of the place is overrun by thug gangs, while the other half is full of socially conservative right wingers, and Rednecks driving their jacked up F250's decked out in Wal-Mart camo gear. Many areas on the north and east side of Houston, just 25 min outside the city are as backwards as Arkansas and as Redneck as Alabama - Many people here in Texas support our crude half-wit Governor, Rick Perry. Gov. Goodhair has been Governor of Texas for the past 13 years and has been elected to office three times by Texas voters. Texas is still where separation of church and state is a myth, and Perry believes public tax dollars should be used to fund private and religious schools through vouchers. Gov. Perry loves to run our public school system like a Bible Camp, all while gutting our K-12 education budget, and Slick Rick can't remember what that third agency he was going to cut was, but Perry thinks Californians are that stupid.
Actually your post is pretty stupid. There are more fitness gyms in Houston than in the entire state of CA. A lot of people are in very good shape there. You have fat people all over the US. Houston has a lot of people who like to keep fit and healthy. I can't even find a decent gym here comparable to what I had in Houston. The gyms here suck!

Have you checked out the Ghettos of Northern CA? It is not in just select areas it is everywhere you look. Far North Bay, SF, Oakland, SJ to SF on the Caltrain...all you see is run down trashy hoods.

Yep you know nothing about Houston or TX. Just flat out ignorance.

I am happy you are a miserable CA stuck in podunk slackerville Austin Serves you right!

Last edited by TVC15; 02-20-2013 at 04:24 AM..

Old 02-20-2013, 03:30 AM

Quote:
Hold on. I'm still recounting all the changes of topics we've been through in this thread.

Oy, what a short memory you have. Have you forgotten all the oil busts TX has been through? Boom, bust, boom. Been like that my whole life. Nothing new here.

Your comment on CA air reminds me to ask you if you drive a Prius?

You are the only poster I have asked to move to Montana as well. I'm 0 for 1 on that matter.
My comment on CA air...what about the air quality report from the American Lung Association? That should speak volumes to you Most Polluted Cities: State of the Air 2011 - American Lung Association

Here is one more for ya! 11 U.S. Cities With the Worst Air Pollution - Health.com

The Oil Bust did not destroy TX and guess what TX learned from it. Why do you think it has never happened since? Why do you think it never suffered a housing bubble? TX learned many lessons from that event. TX recovered quickly and now look where they are

No short memory dear...it was just 3 decades ago and I did not suffer from it nor did anyone I know suffer from it. Heck my mom even worked for an oil company and still kept her job!

Old 02-20-2013, 07:02 AM

Quote:
My comment on CA air...what about the air quality report from the American Lung Association? That should speak volumes to you Most Polluted Cities: State of the Air 2011 - American Lung Association

Here is one more for ya! 11 U.S. Cities With the Worst Air Pollution - Health.com

The Oil Bust did not destroy TX and guess what TX learned from it. Why do you think it has never happened since? Why do you think it never suffered a housing bubble? TX learned many lessons from that event. TX recovered quickly and now look where they are

No short memory dear...it was just 3 decades ago and I did not suffer from it nor did anyone I know suffer from it. Heck my mom even worked for an oil company and still kept her job!
Yeah, I know we have bad air. Isn't that like the 3rd time you've posted that?

It's why I ask if you drive a Prius? You in the SF bay area send some of your bad air down here donchaknow. Has to do with the population up there, the direction of the winds generally and the valley inversion. Quit zoom zooming and whirr whirr or whatever noise a Prius makes....

Oy, even your own stats that have Houston at 40th place say Houston is coming out of recession. Read your own links willya.

The same study shows Dallas and Bakersfield roughly equivalent according to their measure. 91 and 104. I find that hilarious.

I shall quote you as to Rick Perry:

Quote:
Rick is certainly a prick! <snip>
I guess he won't be seeking an endorsement from you this election cycle.

Seems y'all had your own housing bubble in the 1980's. Houston Chronicle:

http://www.chron.com/business/articl...as-1809020.php

From the article it says to expect a recovery period of 8 to 14 years. What is your definition of "quickly" exactly?

Quote:
The Texas template
The Texas template tells us we could be in for a 14 percent to 25 percent decline and an eight-year to 14-year wait for recovery.
That's real history. It's not hyperventilation from the Chicken Little chorus.

Last edited by Senno; 02-20-2013 at 07:28 AM..

Old 02-20-2013, 11:12 AM

880 posts, read 1,415,790 times
Quote:

Well, we've exhausted Leonards pipes as a topic of discussion. What's on the ol' docket now?
I agree, lets leave my plumbing out of this as it is in neither CA not TX.

Old 02-20-2013, 12:06 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,564,761 times
Quote:
Really then why don't you back up what you are claiming?

The data is there...it is not my data...sorry you can't connect the dots.

The only credibly that has been lost is the folks like you as well as the TX bashers who can't back up their BS claims. As well as those who can't understand data.

What point did I even attempt to make? That’s just a false assumption you made while pushing your agenda. It’s obvious you’re on auto mode, but I’ll feed you anyway:

In CA, 21.9 percent of residents don't have health-care coverage. In TX, that percentage is TX, 27.2. That’s not insignificant.
Texas and Mass. Still at Health Coverage Extremes in U.S.

And while CAs’ percentage is too high, the discrepancy between the two states will only increase, in part because we have a responsive Governor.

Taylor says the additional money can be used improve health care in California even though the state will take on additional costs down the road. The report estimated that by taking on new enrollees, the state could be on the hook for between $300 million and $1.3 billion a year starting in 2020.
Gov. Jerry Brown has committed to expanding Medicaid, known as Medi-Cal in California, for people who make up to 138 percent of the federal poverty line, or about $15,400 a year for an individual. The analyst estimated the expansion will bring 1.2 million new enrollees by 2017”
Analyst says California should expand Medicaid - San Jose Mercury News

Whereas Governor whoopsie-daisies rejected a similar expansion in Texas http://governor.state.tx.us/files/pr...1211150621.pdf, ensuring there is little relief in sight for the nation's highest rate of uninsured, and the gap between these two states will only increase in the near future.

Spin it all you want. It’s tired and nobody’s buying it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California