Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 12:36 AM

895 posts, read 1,703,697 times

Advertisements

To me LA = Less sanctimonious, more vibrant/creative, more middle of the road/moderate than SF. Prefer the cultural climate in LA much more although I will give the scenery edge to SF. LA is the best, and if you haven't been, go to the Stanley Kubrick exhibit at LACMA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2013, 10:38 AM

8,982 posts, read 10,463,986 times
On the other hand, SF tolerates eccentricity -- at least for now -- better than LA does. In LA the pressure to be perfect, in terms of your appearance, your income, what car you drive, etc., seems overwhelming. In SF, not so much. Not that there aren't plenty of nouveau riche floating around here, but they generally keep their absurd wealth on the DL. Even some of the über-rich in Pacific Heights have to park on the street like everyone else.

Of course one could argue that ostentatiously wearing torn jeans and $5000 worth of tattoos is just as bad as flaunting one's Mercedes and boob job, but it does make it easier for an actual poor person to "pass" for one of the in crowd.

And BTW I don't mean to bash LA; I used to live there and still think of it fondly. I just don't think I could handle the pressure anymore.

Old 07-02-2013, 12:54 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,869,992 times
SF is incredibly Intolerant of political conservatives and social conservatives.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 07-02-2013, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
SF is incredibly Intolerant of political conservatives and social conservatives.
And yet we still allow Michael "Savage" Wiener to live among us. How many ultra-liberal radio commentators are there in Lubbock?

Old 07-02-2013, 01:30 PM

895 posts, read 1,703,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
On the other hand, SF tolerates eccentricity -- at least for now -- better than LA does. In LA the pressure to be perfect, in terms of your appearance, your income, what car you drive, etc., seems overwhelming. In SF, not so much. Not that there aren't plenty of nouveau riche floating around here, but they generally keep their absurd wealth on the DL. Even some of the über-rich in Pacific Heights have to park on the street like everyone else.

Of course one could argue that ostentatiously wearing torn jeans and $5000 worth of tattoos is just as bad as flaunting one's Mercedes and boob job, but it does make it easier for an actual poor person to "pass" for one of the in crowd.

And BTW I don't mean to bash LA; I used to live there and still think of it fondly. I just don't think I could handle the pressure anymore.
Right but I think there should be a happy medium between the bohemian lifestyle and excessive decadence.

Old 07-02-2013, 01:59 PM

2,963 posts, read 5,453,251 times
Quote:

Is this generally true or is it ironically more an image? Studies have shown that SF is actually a plastic surgery capital.

U.S. Cities with the Most Plastic Surgery
Top Cities for Vanity | Men's Health

Los Angeles doesn't rank nearly as high as SF, and even when Beverly Hills is isolated as #1, SF comes in at #2. Sacramento ranks high too, and in other surveys San Jose makes the top 10. Now personally, I don't know and have never known anyone who's had plastic surgery in SoCal, nor did I in NorCal. So with those direct experiences being equal, given this statistical data can I really say L.A. and SF are polar opposites in attitudes about appearance?

Actually, thinking about it I have known people who've had some of the procedures cited, like Botox, breast augmentation and teeth whitening. They were in SF but I did have a broader circle of acquaintances.

Old 07-02-2013, 02:16 PM

Well, I'm sure my impressions are clouded by having spent most of my time in LA on the Westside. If Brentwood were a city I'm sure it would rank right up there too.

Old 07-02-2013, 02:55 PM

274 posts, read 470,596 times
LA people are nicer and friendlier than SF

Old 07-02-2013, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpadeSam View Post
I cannot imagine too much decadence. Seems like a fine thing to me, and the more the better. I always enjoyed San Francisco's COYOTE Ball
And I can't imagine something like the Folsom Street Fair taking place in LA. The closest thing they had was Sunset Junction, which was much tamer (and is gone now anyway).

Old 07-02-2013, 06:57 PM

2,963 posts, read 5,453,251 times
Quote:
And I can't imagine something like the Folsom Street Fair taking place in LA. The closest thing they had was Sunset Junction, which was much tamer (and is gone now anyway).
Much less Dore Alley Fair. It just could not happen in L.A. Why? That would be an interesting question to pose. Maybe it's access, how areas not only are divided into the valleys but can be more strictly isolated from the general public. Maybe it's few or almost zero children in specific areas whereas even West Hollywood has single family homes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California