Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 10:02 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times

Advertisements

Talk to your insurance agent if you have one. This is becoming nit-picky.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2013, 10:22 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,768,929 times
Quote:
(b) An owner, bailee of an owner, or personal representative of a decedent is not liable under this chapter for damages imposed for the sake of example and by way of punishing the operator of the vehicle. Nothing in this subdivision makes an owner, bailee of an owner, or personal representative immune from liability for damages imposed for the sake of example and by way of punishing him for his own wrongful conduct.
There is the kicker in that law. You can be forced to pay for things far above the limits you think are in effect, if you are taken to court. It is up to what the judge and/or jury think you should pay.

If you think you can get by with just paying $5,000 if you total out someone's $60,000 car think again. The owner that has their car totaled as an example, will be paid by their insurance company, and the company will then sue you to recover the rest from you.

That is why any agent worth anything will tell you to get at least $100,000/$300,000 in insurance. It is nothing for that amount of medical care and lost work payment needed by someone injured in an accident. If you at a higher income than average, or have a net worth of very much, you had better protect yourself.

As those limits were set about 40 years ago they are way out of date and there are bills in the state legislature to considerably increase them. 40 years ago, you could buy a decent car for $5,000. Try and do that today.

Old 07-27-2013, 01:48 AM

774 posts, read 1,778,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
I'll take my chances. I wrote law for the state for about 20 years. Mine was clear and unambivalent. No wonder the lobbyists disliked me. No wiggle-room!

Are you here to ask or here to argue?
Please take this off-topic I-used-to-be-a-ghostwriter "bragging" somewhere else.

Old 07-27-2013, 02:49 AM

6,664 posts, read 30,617,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max.b View Post
So I loan a car to a friend, she causes an accident. Do I understand it correctly that she's liable, but if she can't be sued, or doesn't have enough money, I'm also liable, but only up to $30k/$15k/$5k?

I think a lot of people borrow cars (or test-drive cars at the dealership, say) without realizing that the insurance covers the owner, no the operator.

Do I understand this correctly?
No, the owner is always responsible for any accidents. This may be recoverable in civil court.

Old 07-27-2013, 04:19 AM

774 posts, read 1,778,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
No, the owner is always responsible for any accidents. This may be recoverable in civil court.
That's correct, but besides the point. The operator is liable "before" the owner is liable. Secondly, the owner's liability is limited to $35k per accident.

If you disagree, please substantiate your argument (quote the law).

Old 07-27-2013, 01:29 PM

21,882 posts, read 25,154,836 times
There's a gross negligence exception. For example, if the owner knew the operator was drunk and allowed them to drive anyway.

I'm really not sure what's confusing. Operated = unlimited liability; owner limited liability except in a case of gross negligence. I'm generally the operator, so the limited liability of someone else driving my car isn't what I would base my insurance on.

Last edited by Malloric; 07-27-2013 at 01:41 PM..

Old 07-27-2013, 03:34 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max.b View Post
Please take this off-topic I-used-to-be-a-ghostwriter "bragging" somewhere else.
Pleasant little nit-picker who only wants to argue, aren't you?

If every question and each response simply leads to yet another question then there's no progress and it's a waste of time.

Now then, G'Day!

PS. Since you're so (dis)interested in the law, it's all "ghost" written. Legislators who introduce it may take credit for it but it's others who write it and those names are never appended to it. They don't need to be.

Last edited by Curmudgeon; 07-27-2013 at 03:50 PM..

Old 08-19-2013, 02:25 PM

1 posts, read 682 times
You are misinterpreting this law. It doesn't address a maximum liability for a negligent driver. It is the maximum liability on a (non-employer) vehicle owner (separate from issues of negligent entrustment, etc.) Although it is rarely practical, drivers can always be sued over and above their insurance policy limits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California