Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 09:58 PM

774 posts, read 1,778,283 times

Advertisements

I thought CA had a law that limited the maximum liability in an accident to the same amounts that were the statutory minimum limits of liability insurance:

• Bodily injury $15k per person, $30k per accident
  • Property damage: $5k per accident
In other words, as long as you stay in CA, it doesn't make sense to carry higher insurance, since your liability is limited by law anyway.

So I was surprised to find the following on the DMV web site:

"Since you may be personally responsible for damages above the policy limits, you should consider purchasing liability insurance with higher limits than the minimum required by law."

How could you be personally responsible for damages above the policy limits if your liability is limited by law?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2013, 11:46 PM

2,410 posts, read 4,454,794 times
Where are you seeing that there's a maximum liability? I'd not heard of that before.

Old 07-26-2013, 07:43 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,495,141 times
I've never heard of there being a maximum someone could collect. Just that you have to carry at least a minimum amount set by law.

I suppose you might as well think of it as a maximum, too, though, because if someone can't afford more than the minimum, you probably would never collect more than that from them anyway.

Old 07-26-2013, 07:49 AM

3,720 posts, read 9,997,648 times
But if you have any assets, you risk losing them if you cause an accident and have minimum liability. Which is why we have very high liability $500K and umbrella. Believe it or not, people here in CA sue a lot.

Old 07-26-2013, 11:51 AM

6,664 posts, read 30,610,392 times
When you regularly drive next to vehicles that cost $100,000 plus you need to cover your butt. One accident and you can find yourself in court handing over the keys to your home. A policy with $100,000 limit only costs about $20 more a year.

Old 07-26-2013, 04:34 PM

To all: Just because you hadn't heard of a law until now doesn't mean that there isn't one, and the person emphasizing the difference between two concepts probably isn't the one confusing them.

My guess is that higher-limit policies are so cheap because they either never pay (total scams), or they pay in other states with different limits (if they exist), or they pay in astronomically rare multi-accident scenarios: if you get in 10 major separate accidents before your car dies, you get detained or your insurance gets cancelled, that $300k limit may come in handy.

Vehicle Code, Section 17151: Limitation of Liability of Owner Bailee or Representative

17151. (a) The liability of an owner, bailee of an owner, or personal representative of a decedent imposed by this chapter and not arising through the relationship of principal and agent or master and servant is limited to the amount of fifteen thousand dollars ($15,000) for the death of or injury to one person in any one accident and, subject to the limit as to one person, is limited to the amount of thirty thousand dollars ($30,000) for the death of or injury to more than one person in any one accident and is limited to the amount of five thousand dollars ($5,000) for damage to property of others in any one accident.

(b) An owner, bailee of an owner, or personal representative of a decedent is not liable under this chapter for damages imposed for the sake of example and by way of punishing the operator of the vehicle. Nothing in this subdivision makes an owner, bailee of an owner, or personal representative immune from liability for damages imposed for the sake of example and by way of punishing him for his own wrongful conduct.

Amended Ch. 862, Stats. 1967. Operative July 1, 1968. Supersedes Ch. 702.

Old 07-26-2013, 05:40 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,471,872 times
What you just posted only pertains if you're dead. It doesn't do a thing for you if you live. In CA the minimum we used to carry was $100,000/$300,000 along with a one million dollar personal liability umbrella policy. We still carry that even here in the boonies where people aren't nearly as litigious as in CA..

Scams? No, reality!

Cheap isn't necessarily the best policy.

Old 07-26-2013, 06:04 PM

I researched this a bit further. I am not a lawyer, obviously. Interpret at your own risk. It's possible that you might be liable separately as an "owner" and as a "driver". I don't know for sure. I think the laws are written by lawyers with the sole intent of keeping their own profession in business.

Old 07-26-2013, 07:10 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,471,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max.b View Post
I researched this a bit further. I am not a lawyer, obviously. Interpret at your own risk. It's possible that you might be liable separately as an "owner" and as a "driver". I don't know for sure. I think the laws are written by lawyers with the sole intent of keeping their own profession in business.
I'll take my chances. I wrote law for the state for about 20 years. Mine was clear and unambivalent. No wonder the lobbyists disliked me. No wiggle-room!

Are you here to ask or here to argue?

Old 07-26-2013, 09:32 PM

So I loan a car to a friend, she causes an accident. Do I understand it correctly that she's liable, but if she can't be sued, or doesn't have enough money, I'm also liable, but only up to $30k/$15k/$5k?

I think a lot of people borrow cars (or test-drive cars at the dealership, say) without realizing that the insurance covers the owner, no the operator.

Do I understand this correctly?

V C Section 17152 Liability of Operator

Liability of Operator

17152. In any action against an owner, bailee of an owner, or personal representative of a decedent on account of liability imposed by Sections 17150, 17154, or 17159 for the negligent or wrongful act or omission of the operator of a vehicle, the operator shall be made a party defendant if service of process can be made in a manner sufficient to secure personal jurisdiction over the operator. Upon recovery of judgment, recourse shall first be had against the property of the operator so served.

Amended Ch. 702, Stats. 1967. Effective November 8, 1967.

V C Section 17152 Liability of Operator
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California