Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2013, 09:57 PM

471 posts, read 600,829 times

Advertisements

Prop 13 should have NEVER covered Real Estate investors. There should be no tax breaks for RE investors that are available for individual owner occupied residences.

With the huge influx of investor money (usually backed by large private equity firms borrowing money at near zero) there is a crowding out of families and individuals who actually plan to live in the home they are borrowing.

Prop 13 was designed to protect people who own and live in their home. It should not be used to subsidize Blackstone's profit margin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2013, 07:33 AM

97 posts, read 266,299 times
What Prop 13 did was limit all property taxes to 1% of the property's value, and only allow that amount to increase by 2% a year, no matter what inflation is (which was then soaring). Made sense at the time when people were being pushed out of their homes due to astronomical tax increases.

In the long run it created unfairness in that it favored those who stayed put in their homes while their neighbors sold and created a new higher assessment for that neighbor and resulting tax.

The big problem was it also favored business property where changes in ownership or shares did not prompt an actual property sale and resulting higher property value and tax. This is the biggest travesty to the state. These loopholes cause a huge amount of property to stay underassessed and gives a giant tax break to corporations using a law that was essentially designed to allow grandma to stay in her home.

The tax break should only apply to individuals, not corporations, and there needs to be an adjustment in the law to change that statewide. Not sure if it will happen, but it would benefit most of the people in the state. This huge subsidy for the profits of large companies that restricts inventory and keeps families and individuals from being able to fairly compete all while using taxpayer money is really a travesty.

Old 11-28-2013, 07:51 AM
jw2

2,028 posts, read 3,266,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenZephyr View Post
Prop 13 should have NEVER covered Real Estate investors. There should be no tax breaks for RE investors that are available for individual owner occupied residences.

With the huge influx of investor money (usually backed by large private equity firms borrowing money at near zero) there is a crowding out of families and individuals who actually plan to live in the home they are borrowing.

Prop 13 was designed to protect people who own and live in their home. It should not be used to subsidize Blackstone's profit margin.
I agree with you to a certain extent, however....
  1. When new fees/taxes are imposed, affordable housing, rent control, and Section 8 amounts are generally raised. This largely represents the floor. When the floor is raised, the other levels also rise.
  2. Real estate investors in the rental market expect a certain profit. If the profit is not there, the investors with SFR and condos rentals will sell leaving fewer rentals available. That will cause prices to rise.

There are many parts to Prop 13. The big things it was correcting was the wild assessment jumps and the ad hoc tax rate imposed by counties. Paying tax on unrealized gain doesn't work. Allowing the county determine the assessed amount + the tax rate doesn't work.

There is some work that can be done on how commercial real estate changes ownership but circumvents the automatic reassessment that would occur. But I don't think going after all investors will help the rental market.
Rate this post positively

Old 11-28-2013, 01:33 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
The problem is that investors were never in the market to be rental conglomerates. ( the investor market was about 10%) its more like 30-40% now. They are most of the reason houses were selling. It sure as hell wasn't joe average buying. The ONLY reason groups like Blackstone are even in the rental market is because they want to park a few billion in something tangible and get some ROI. And some of that. Billions is borrowed or other investors investing in them. They don't give a f if that ROI comes from rental income or market shares from some company selling bats**t juice.. I guarantee you that the houses they bought are NOT under prop 13. If they do their rent cost/profit analysis and it comes up as not profitable they will start slowly selling.

Let me guess? Newport Coast? You're probably paying some insane property taxes on your 850k + house

Old 11-29-2013, 05:38 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenZephyr View Post

Could not agree with you more...

Unfortunately the California Legislature stood firm and refused to simply index the Homeowner tax exemption for inflation...

Way back when... a $7,500 Homeowner Tax Exemption carried real weight when a modest home could be bought in much of the State for $12,000... it means almost nothing with the cost of property today.

If the legislature had not refused to index... Prop 13 would have been stopped cold.

The California State Constitution prohibits a Split Tax Roll... therefore... Prop 13 must apply to all assessable parcels...

One thing is certain... I'm thankful those that came before me had the sense to send a clear message and sweep Prop 13 into law and that it has withstood challenges all the way to the US Supreme Court...

Prop 13 does not prohibit additional assessments... I live in Oakland and have 27 additional items on my tax bill with a rate 60% higher than Prop 13 base.

What it does is require voter approval and I think this is a good thing even when the voters of my city and county have a long history of approving extra taxes... at least the people decide.

Old 11-29-2013, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
The problem is that investors were never in the market to be rental conglomerates. ( the investor market was about 10%) its more like 30-40% now. They are most of the reason houses were selling. It sure as hell wasn't joe average buying. The ONLY reason groups like Blackstone are even in the rental market is because they want to park a few billion in something tangible and get some ROI. And some of that. Billions is borrowed or other investors investing in them. They don't give a f if that ROI comes from rental income or market shares from some company selling bats**t juice.. I guarantee you that the houses they bought are NOT under prop 13. If they do their rent cost/profit analysis and it comes up as not profitable they will start slowly selling.

Let me guess? Newport Coast? You're probably paying some insane property taxes on your 850k + house
Every assessed property in California is under Prop 13... no exceptions.

Does not matter if you bought in 1978 or 2013.

Old 11-29-2013, 05:56 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,668,808 times
I totally agree.

The investors are setting all of us up for some really big problems in the future when corporations like Blackstone attempt to buy up all the housing stock for rental purposes. In my opinion, this is really dangerous and they should be taxed, or better yet, put out of business.

TomDispatch: Laura Gottesdiener, Wall Street's Rental Empire | TomDispatch

Old 11-29-2013, 06:56 PM

542 posts, read 1,549,085 times
First of all, if you raise taxes on landlords, they will pass those costs onto their tenants. It is an investment, not a charity.

Second, all these comments about major investors sweeping up properties, and how that must be bad, must be born of ignorance of history. The same thing happened in previous real estate cycles, investors bought up all the cheap properties that were not selling, followed by normal home buyers jumping into the market. Happens every time. It is simply part of the cycle.

Old 11-29-2013, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
I totally agree.

The investors are setting all of us up for some really big problems in the future when corporations like Blackstone attempt to buy up all the housing stock for rental purposes. In my opinion, this is really dangerous and they should be taxed, or better yet, put out of business.

TomDispatch: Laura Gottesdiener, Wall Street's Rental Empire | TomDispatch
Tax is due on yearly profit and capital gains at time of sale...

Old 11-29-2013, 10:22 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
I stand corrected. I must of misread a article about reforming or eliminatingP13 and thought I read it did not cover new sales anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California