Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2014, 11:28 PM

9 posts, read 15,706 times

Advertisements

Ok, hope someone can help. I have been living in the same apartment complex for 3 years. I lived alone for 2 Year's until last year. My neighbor renewed her lease but boyfriend moved out and a few months later she needed to move. The landlord would not let her out of the lease, would not let her sublet and if she found someone to take over her lease, they were going to raise the rent $450.00. At the same time, my lease was up and I was paying $200.00 more a month. I moved into the apartment building just two months after her and was surprised to be paying substantially more rent than her.

We decided to see if I could be added to her lease since they allow two people in a one bedroom unit. I moved in and was added to the lease. This worked out well for both of us since I had also became temporarily disabled and was still on disability and currently receiving treatment and trying to recover from a serious illness. well the lease is up and they sent a notice to extend the lease for another year or face a $400.00 increase to stay on a month to month. I want to renew the lease and stay but they are saying I have to prequalify to be on the lease on my own and have to have proof of income 3 times the rent.

I am still employed, same employer as when I moved here, just disabled right now and disability benefits are not equal to three times the rent. I always paid rent on time or 2-3 days early actually for the 3 years I've been living here. Can they legally require that? I would not have to prequalify if I go month to month and pay the huge increase. I can afford what I am paying now, but not $400.00 more a month. This seems so unfair! There is another tenant in my building that got the month to month increase if she doesn't renew her lease for a year but it was $300.00 a month not $400.00 like they are requiring from me. They know I am disabled....I fell like I am being discriminated against. Any thoughts or suggestions???

P.S. I am really scared. I can't move even if I wanted to... very sick right now. Why would they do this to a good tenant?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2014, 03:52 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,552,235 times
The reason they are doing it is simply because they can. Unfortunately once the lease goes month to month with proper notice they can raise the rent as much as they want just like its your choice to say no thank you and move. If the rent is too high the units will stay vacant and rent will drop. If it's in line with current market rate the unit will be occupied

Old 02-04-2014, 07:17 PM

So let's put it another way, say you are pregnant and go on a maternity leave through FMA and during that time your lease is up but you are off of work temporarily, they can give you the boot since during your FMA your income dropped leaving you unable to verify as much income I am a disabled, not even suppose to lift as much as a cell phone as per Nero Surgeon orders. lol. Puts me in very bad position. Well that's the world we have become.

If that is the case, law should be changed. Totally unfair. I have a full time job that qualifies me, at least it should. Just so happens the timing is off so no rights for the tenant? HORRIBLE to treat good tenants that way. I will surely NEVER rent from large apartment complex again. Guess the days of it's a wonderful life are long gone. People should have understanding and flexibility. Now if I wasn't paying the rent for 3 years on time... actually always early I could understand. I have been renting for years and have never been treated so poorly by a LL. But also never lived in big corps company apartment complexes before and never will again. I know they can charge whatever they want, but 28-29% increase--- outrageous.

Old 02-04-2014, 08:35 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,552,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbeyJune View Post
So let's put it another way, say you are pregnant and go on a maternity leave through FMA and during that time your lease is up but you are off of work temporarily, they can give you the boot since during your FMA your income dropped leaving you unable to verify as much income I am a disabled, not even suppose to lift as much as a cell phone as per Nero Surgeon orders. lol. Puts me in very bad position. Well that's the world we have become.

If that is the case, law should be changed. Totally unfair. I have a full time job that qualifies me, at least it should. Just so happens the timing is off so no rights for the tenant? HORRIBLE to treat good tenants that way. I will surely NEVER rent from large apartment complex again. Guess the days of it's a wonderful life are long gone. People should have understanding and flexibility. Now if I wasn't paying the rent for 3 years on time... actually always early I could understand. I have been renting for years and have never been treated so poorly by a LL. But also never lived in big corps company apartment complexes before and never will again. I know they can charge whatever they want, but 28-29% increase--- outrageous.

While I am sympathetic to your plight, I can see their point of view that rent must be paid. If they made a exception for you they would have to make it for every pregnant person. Or every person who is in any sort of temporary or permanent disability. So at what point do you differentiate between including or excluding someone and for what disability. And what sort of lawsuit are you leaving yourself open to.

And what happens if say you do make exceptions for pregnant women. And what happens if they don't make up the rent they owe? It just opens a can of worms.

I do agree with you that 28-29% increase is IMO absurd.

Old 02-04-2014, 10:53 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,174,356 times
What company is this? I want to know so I never rent from them!

In LA, they can only raise your rent a certain percent (like 10% or something, nowhere near 30%). I'm not sure if that is a state law or an LA law.

Old 02-05-2014, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
While I am sympathetic to your plight, I can see their point of view that rent must be paid. If they made a exception for you they would have to make it for every pregnant person. Or every person who is in any sort of temporary or permanent disability. So at what point do you differentiate between including or excluding someone and for what disability. And what sort of lawsuit are you leaving yourself open to.

Yes they should accommodate people who are temporary disabled. I have a job! I have paid my rent on time most of the time 2-3 days early for 3 years! I have made and saved enough to continue to pay my rent and made some allocations for a possible reasonable increase. They use to offer a breakdown, if you stay 3 more months or 6 or 12. They never raised the rent this much before. The building was sold a new management is doing this. If what you are saying is true... they have to treat everybody the same regardless of a temporary disability, then why are they charging me a larger increase than other tenants??? They know I am disabled and faced with a serious illness up coming surgery.

And what happens if say you do make exceptions for pregnant women. And what happens if they don't make up the rent they owe? It just opens a can of worms.

I don't owe any rent. And what difference would it make to them if I stay month to month and pay $400.00 more a month or sign a new lease. What you are saying doesn't make sense as that would not offer them any more protection. To me this is one of two things, greed or they are discriminating against me.

They would have to make accommodations/changes to the stairs leading to my apartment if I become paralyzed. That is a real possibility for me. This is just another thing that is giving me a tremendous amount of stress. I don't want to fight with anyone. I just want to be left alone in peace until I can get through this. I am a older women, no husband, children or friends that live near me to help. Not trying to get any symphony. Just the facts. I really dislike the saying if we do it for you we have to do it for everyone... no. Look at the circumstances and act like a decent human being.

I do agree with you that 28-29% increase is IMO absurd.
Really, because you sound just like the management team here. We don't care what you are going through just pay us more or else. If they were fair they would offer me the same rate as the other tenant that just got a similar notice but they offered her a hundred dollars less a month to stay month to month. So how is that fair???

Old 02-05-2014, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
What company is this? I want to know so I never rent from them!

In LA, they can only raise your rent a certain percent (like 10% or something, nowhere near 30%). I'm not sure if that is a state law or an LA law.
O
I'd rather not say for fear of retaliation. They have horrible reviews from people on
yelp. I should have been more careful before I moved here. So many management problems but don't want to waste my time or expend any more energy discussing them.

It sucks when you get older, and sick. I really wish I didn't have another thing on my plate to have to deal with. If this happened a four or five months from now, it would be ok and I could get the hell out of here. Right now, too sick and weak could not even pack a box. Just hoping someone on this list might have a good idea to offer some advice. Guess not.

Old 02-05-2014, 11:01 AM

3,569 posts, read 2,522,244 times
Quote:
Ok, hope someone can help. I have been living in the same apartment complex for 3 years. I lived alone for 2 Year's until last year. My neighbor renewed her lease but boyfriend moved out and a few months later she needed to move. The landlord would not let her out of the lease, would not let her sublet and if she found someone to take over her lease, they were going to raise the rent $450.00. At the same time, my lease was up and I was paying $200.00 more a month. I moved into the apartment building just two months after her and was surprised to be paying substantially more rent than her.

We decided to see if I could be added to her lease since they allow two people in a one bedroom unit. I moved in and was added to the lease. This worked out well for both of us since I had also became temporarily disabled and was still on disability and currently receiving treatment and trying to recover from a serious illness. well the lease is up and they sent a notice to extend the lease for another year or face a $400.00 increase to stay on a month to month. I want to renew the lease and stay but they are saying I have to prequalify to be on the lease on my own and have to have proof of income 3 times the rent.

I am still employed, same employer as when I moved here, just disabled right now and disability benefits are not equal to three times the rent. I always paid rent on time or 2-3 days early actually for the 3 years I've been living here. Can they legally require that? I would not have to prequalify if I go month to month and pay the huge increase. I can afford what I am paying now, but not $400.00 more a month. This seems so unfair! There is another tenant in my building that got the month to month increase if she doesn't renew her lease for a year but it was $300.00 a month not $400.00 like they are requiring from me. They know I am disabled....I fell like I am being discriminated against. Any thoughts or suggestions???

P.S. I am really scared. I can't move even if I wanted to... very sick right now. Why would they do this to a good tenant?

Thanks
You need to talk to a local tenant organization or lawyer to understand your rights. At best their business practices are unsavory. They may well be breaking the law. How does the increased rent compare to housing outside of this complex in your area? Even if you can protect yourself legally, this is probably not a good place to live.

Old 02-05-2014, 09:36 PM

542 posts, read 1,549,475 times
Quote:
Really, because you sound just like the management team here. We don't care what you are going through just pay us more or else. If they were fair they would offer me the same rate as the other tenant that just got a similar notice but they offered her a hundred dollars less a month to stay month to month. So how is that fair???
Something tells me if the state told you "Hey, we are going through some stuff, so we cannot give you your disability check for a couple months." or if your employer said the same thing about your paycheck, you would not be as understanding as you seem to think your landlord should be. Your rent is the landlord's paycheck, and they have expenses just like you.

You do not know the whole story with your upstairs neighbor. Perhaps their rent is already higher than yours, perhaps their unit is less desirable than yours (it is upstairs from yours, that is less desirable right there). Time to stop playing the victim here. Your landlord did not cause your disability (right?), they do not owe you anything because of it.

Old 02-06-2014, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post
You need to talk to a local tenant organization or lawyer to understand your rights. At best their business practices are unsavory. They may well be breaking the law. How does the increased rent compare to housing outside of this complex in your area? Even if you can protect yourself legally, this is probably not a good place to live.
As soon as I can I will be moving. Spoke to lawyer today who offered some sound advice. so all is good. Thank you for your advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California