Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 08:02 PM

14 posts, read 25,780 times

Advertisements

We are planning my "retirement," and we want to buy a small (organic) farm, 10 to 40 acres, somewhere where:

1. It's not terrifically expensive.

2. The soil is good, we don't have to fight for rights to water, and zoning allows agriculture and breeding dogs.

3. We can either have (a) utilities on the property or (b) live off the grid easily (well drillable, propane available, good solar exposure), or (c) preferably both. Internet is a must.

4. It's pretty. It's important to me to have a place I can wake up and enjoy looking at.

5. It's not socially regressive (we are two gay women) and folks are friendly.

6. It's a safe area to live.

And most important:

7. It can't be too far from decent medical care. After all, this will be my retirement home, and I plan to die there, but not too quickly!

Bonus for water on the property, rich soil, and beautiful scenery.

If it was affordable (it's not) we'd buy in the Napa Valley. That is our favorite area. We want to avoid the central valley because it's polluted, ugly and socially regressive. We're thinking of maybe the counties around Napa (though I hear Lake County is full of meth heads), or surrounding Sacramento (which I know nothing about), or along the central coast area (worried it's too expensive). We want a country feel, but because of the hospital thing we can't be too far from civilization. And if we can, we'd like to be around crunchy, educated, liberal, fun, organically oriented people.

Suggestions? Let us know where it might be good for us, and let us know what areas to avoid. We're going to make a list and then take a couple weeks to drive all around the state to look at the potential areas. Where should we be looking? What areas should we not waste our time with?

Thank you in advance. I know you folks have a lot of great knowledge and insight.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2014, 08:12 PM

2,395 posts, read 3,012,542 times
Your list is interesting, but I don't think #1 is achievable in CA along with #'s 2 & 4, and perhaps not anywhere in CA depending on what "not terribly expensive" means to you. The reality is that good land in CA is expensive compared to almost every other place in the country.

IMO, water is going to be an issue almost everywhere in the state as time goes on. Given your time horizon, you need to be thinking 30 years down the road, and I believe there are already too many people here for the water supply.

If you are set on CA, I'd probably start focusing on the central coast, or the very northern part of the state.

Old 04-24-2014, 08:56 PM

10,351 posts, read 8,569,440 times
I agree, the first thing I though of was water issues.
Is Oregon or Washington an option?

Old 04-24-2014, 11:35 PM

3,720 posts, read 9,999,504 times
Except for the drought I would suggest El Dorado County, placerville and further east.

Old 04-24-2014, 11:38 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,673,454 times
Lake County does have a problem with meth-heads, however they tend to be in the main towns around the lake. With that said, Potter Valley is perfect for all your requirements, but I don't know your price. That might be the only factor.
Closest medical care is OK, but if things need better attention, there are better options a little further out.

Old 04-24-2014, 11:38 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,008,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danaruns View Post
We want to avoid the central valley because it's polluted, ugly and socially regressive.
If you are always this stereotypical and insulting, maybe you would be better off leaving California.

Old 04-25-2014, 12:17 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
Check out Shasta County. Redding has multiple medical facilities and hospitals, and from downtown (where I live) you can be in the country in just minutes. It's really beautiful, has lots of sunshine, and water isn't an issue from what I know. There are national and state parks just a few miles out of town. And while driving around town, you can see both Mt. Lassen and Mt. Shasta.

This area is really an interesting blend of people of all types. It's mainly blue-collar, but there are a good number of professionals, too - though it's not the Bay Area in that sense, at all. There is a decent population of granola types, many of whom were shopping with me at Trader Joe's today :-)

A lot of folk here use medical marijuana - I smell it quite often when out and about town.

There are a lot of people with farms and farm animals and it's super dog friendly here. And, it's affordable.

I just moved here in November, but the area is really growing on me. I moved here from the Bay Area, where my daughter lives, and my best friend is in Davis, but I couldn't afford to retire in either area. My options were Fresno, Stockton or Redding (as I wanted to stay in Northern California). I'm really happy with my choice, though it's farther away from friends and family, because it's so beautiful here. I'm not in love with living in downtown Redding, which is where most of Redding's problems are. But, I'm still happy with my choice, and I am hoping to move to a different area of Redding in time.

Humboldt County would be more granola, more liberal, but more expensive and without as much sunshine.

Just for fun, check out the ranch and garden section of Craigslist up here. I used to have farm animals a long time ago, and I have missed seeing ads for goats while living in the Bay Area lol!

redding farm & garden classifieds - craigslist

People on this forum love to bash Redding. But, it's a truly beautiful area.

I take my dog to a dog park here in town often, and the other day i was there and chatting with two young people who had also moved up here from the San Jose area, and they were going on and on about all the things that are so much better in Redding than in the Bay Area. For one, they could afford to buy a house here, and they love how friendly people are, and how you don't get stuck in traffic, and that you can actually find parking places wherever you go lol! They don't make near as much money, but they are happy here.

Anyway, I think this area fits the bill for you. It's not very diverse, but people still seem to have a live and let live attitude.

Check out the real estate for 10+ acre places:

Shasta County, CA Homes for Sale and Real Estate Search - realtor.com®

Oh, and you should know about the local main dog club, which lists events for all types of dog events and other clubs, etc.: http://shastadogs.com/

Wherever you land, happy retirement!

Old 04-25-2014, 03:00 AM

Location: Overlooking the vineyards, olive groves, cattle and horses in the hills of San Miguel CA
167 posts, read 336,271 times
Default Near San Luis Obispo...

Santa Margarita...

RSM Website - Homepage

Meets or exceeds every item on your list... take a look, it's beautiful!

Templeton and SLO have good hospitals... Sierra Vista Regional Medical Center, French Hospital Medical Center...

Lived up where your first choice is- this place is as close to it as you can get without being a multimillionaire.

Old 04-25-2014, 05:18 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danaruns View Post
We want a country feel, but because of the hospital thing we can't be too far from civilization. And if we can, we'd like to be around crunchy, educated, liberal, fun, organically oriented people.
What are "crunchy" people, those who are spitted and roasted to a turn?

As for the Sacramento area, especially around Davis, you'll find that it can be quite "progressive" and good medical care is handily available.

Last edited by Curmudgeon; 04-25-2014 at 05:31 AM..

Old 04-25-2014, 08:37 AM

778 posts, read 823,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
If you are always this stereotypical and insulting, maybe you would be better off leaving California.
It is, though. I just left and wouldn't want to go back myself, no matter how cheap the land is.

I'm looking for something similar (smaller and not post-retirement) so I'll be watching this thread, too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California