Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2014, 11:03 AM

774 posts, read 1,779,245 times

Advertisements

What are the logistics of buying a used car from a dealer in California?

1. Do you need to arrange insurance sometime between buying the car and driving it off the lot? (This seems inconvenient, especially if you just traded in your old car, and need to go home to do some Internet comparison shopping then go back to the dealer)

2. Do you have to wait for any DMV or insurance documents to arrive in the mail? (I'm asking because I'm buying a car and moving at around the same time -- not sure which I'll do first)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2014, 11:37 AM

2,410 posts, read 4,458,018 times
The car dealer will want to know that you have insurance--it's up to the dealer whether they just want a "yes" or want to know who the insurance carrier is. However, you'll have 30 days past the date the title is issued before your insurance status is checked by DMV. If you had insurance on your old car, just give the same insurance info--if it later changes due to costs, that will be between you and DMV--the dealer does not do follow-up.

Although the insurance company will send you proof in the mail, everything is now done online and the company will transmit your insurance status directly to DMV.

Your registration card and title will be mailed--the dealership may use DMV or a private company (if they only sell used cars) so it would be a few weeks before you get your documents. Make sure you provide an address where you will receive the title--often times it won't be forwarded to a new address.

Old 06-07-2014, 11:53 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,687,353 times
If you pay cash... insurance is not a Dealer concern.

It is important to provide a good address... otherwise, the title and reg may never find you.

We sold a used car to students that were traveling... they were here for 10 weeks and used the Dealer Address for the Documents... we held them and when they finished their travels... we bought the car back...

Also, a Dealer minimizes issues with Smog... I know too many people that thought they were getting a good deal from a private party only to find title problems and/or smog problems.

Not saying you can't buy private... just that you have to be smart about it.

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 06-08-2014 at 12:05 AM..

Old 06-08-2014, 12:53 AM

3,751 posts, read 7,675,837 times
Note on buying private - it is up to the seller to smog the car NOT the buyer. One should go with the owner to smog the car, unless it has been done within the DMV time frame, when it passes, then pay for the car, get the title and smog certificate.

Old 06-08-2014, 09:35 AM

It's actually the law in California... sad, so many sell without and leave the buyer with a potential nightmare.

I always conclude my transactions at the DMV window... this way both parties are there and we leave knowing all the paper work, tickets, late fees, smog, title issues have been taken care of...

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 06-08-2014 at 11:12 AM..

Old 06-08-2014, 11:08 AM

774 posts, read 1,779,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb73 View Post
The car dealer will want to know that you have insurance--it's up to the dealer whether they just want a "yes" or want to know who the insurance carrier is. However, you'll have 30 days past the date the title is issued before your insurance status is checked by DMV. If you had insurance on your old car, just give the same insurance info--if it later changes due to costs, that will be between you and DMV--the dealer does not do follow-up.
So, between the time I drive off the lot, and the time I arrange new insurance later that day or the next day, the new car is not insured?

Quote:
Your registration card and title will be mailed--the dealership may use DMV or a private company (if they only sell used cars) so it would be a few weeks before you get your documents. Make sure you provide an address where you will receive the title--often times it won't be forwarded to a new address.
Is it possible to get the title from the DMV in person?

Old 06-08-2014, 11:13 AM

No... generally, the title comes from Sacramento...

You can get a temporary registration/receipt showing fees paid with your name on it.

If you already had insurance... most policies cover replacement vehicle for a few days under the existing terms.

If you have no current policy... I would never drive off the lot without a binder in place... just too much risk for something so easy to remedy...

Every Dealer I know has insurance agents on speed dial that will meet you at the dealership or fax over an application, review and quote... takes about an hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
View detailed profiles of: