Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 04:48 PM

628 posts, read 1,389,731 times

Advertisements

These questions are for those who have ever lived with roommates in any AmeriCorps program:

I've been accepted into AmeriCorps Hoopa TCCC program: it's a residential program similar to the AmeriCorps NCCC program, but it's located on Hoopa Indian Native American Reservation in Northern California as a base, lasts 9 months long, and it focuses on hands-on environmental effort missions that use basic life skills that can happen any where in the U.S.A..~

I have some concerns about living with the same people I will be working with.~

This job is unique because it's a residential job and there aren't as many of these jobs out there as there are jobs that don't provide housing.~

I'm hoping that because this is an environmentally orientated government funded job that the people I will be living and working with will be more understanding and accepting of my way of life.~

I aim towards living a Zero-Waste life: I avoid buying most things that create "trash" in any way at all, including groceries which I would carry in zip-mesh-bags and cloth bags.~

I also recycle, re-use, and reduce.~

One example is I clean out and re-use peanut-butter jars to carry food on trips even though I don't eat factory-made peanut-butter any more because of the refined sugar in it.~

I also value my word a lot, by signing up to enter this program I am agreeing to follow all the rules.~

My questions are:

Will they throw their trash on the ground?~

Will they not care at all about recycling?~

Will they refuse to do their part in keeping the building we all live in clean?~

Will they get drunk?~

Will they get high off of drugs?~

Will they be dedicated to breaking every-single-rule?~

Will they try very hard to steal from me, like will a combination-only lock on my backpack (I put every thing in it and it never leaves me side) be enough to prevent me from being robbed by my roommates?~

Will they be confrontational and even violent?~

If any of these come true, how often will these things happen, and what do you recommend is the "best" course of action(s) in response?~

Last edited by ColorsWolf; 06-06-2014 at 05:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2014, 05:30 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
Since you have all of these concerns - more like fears, actually - this doesn't sound like a good fit for you. Quite frankly, I'm not sure what would be. I detect an element of paranoia that concerns me.

Old 06-06-2014, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Since you have all of these concerns - more like fears, actually - this doesn't sound like a good fit for you. Quite frankly, I'm not sure what would be. I detect an element of paranoia that concerns me.
This does not answer any of my questions.~

Have you ever lived in any kind of AmeriCorps program?~

Have you ever lived with any kind of roommates?~

These are legitimate concerns, I have been told by the program recruiter that they have a lot of problems with people not following the rules and getting themselves kicked out.~

Last edited by ColorsWolf; 06-06-2014 at 06:22 PM..

Old 06-06-2014, 10:27 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColorsWolf View Post
This does not answer any of my questions.~

Have you ever lived in any kind of AmeriCorps program?~

Have you ever lived with any kind of roommates?~

These are legitimate concerns, I have been told by the program recruiter that they have a lot of problems with people not following the rules and getting themselves kicked out.~
I stand by my initial post. How is anyone supposed to predict unknown others' behaviors?

If you're that concerned/paranoid, don't do it! Seems simple enough to me.

Lived with roommates? Oh yeah! Back in the day it was called Army barracks and platoon bays.

Old 06-06-2014, 10:38 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,674,702 times
It is best to go into this sort of situation without any expectations. Why? Because of you do, you will be miserable. People are never exactly what we want them to be.

However, Northern California has a environmental attitude and recycling and health food is common. Maybe not in the majority, but enough that it is noticeable.
In your situation, I am guessing it is sort of like the military, as in there will be people coming from all over. That means that there will be all kinds of different personalities/attitudes/habits.

Best thing you can do, get used to it.

Old 06-06-2014, 11:21 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColorsWolf View Post
That doesn't sound like a good program, then. The program's own recruiter said the program's recruits are something like delinquents? That sounds very strange.

But if it's an environmental program, one would think the participants would be environmentally-minded, they'd be on board with the program. Unless they're in the program for nothing more than the employment or training opportunity.

You should probably address your concerns to the recruiter. Or maybe there's a program website with a Q & A section.

Old 06-07-2014, 01:09 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,748,538 times
How old are you? You don't sound like you're ready to leave home and deal with the uncertainties of adult life.

Old 06-07-2014, 01:36 PM

21,738 posts, read 16,356,570 times
The OP's questions really had me wondering. So I checked his profile page. A very unique individual is all I'll say.

Old 06-08-2014, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
That doesn't sound like a good program, then. The program's own recruiter said the program's recruits are something like delinquents? That sounds very strange.

But if it's an environmental program, one would think the participants would be environmentally-minded, they'd be on board with the program. Unless they're in the program for nothing more than the employment or training opportunity.

You should probably address your concerns to the recruiter. Or maybe there's a program website with a Q & A section.
They say since their age range of volunteers is 17-24 they're mostly young college age people and some times they have a tendency to "celebrate too much" once they get a job done.~

The biggest problems they have are people drinking alcohol and getting high off of drugs.~

They do random drug and alcohol testing and if you test positive you will immediately be terminated from the program and you will have to find your own way back home.~

I doubt a lot of people will come from too far since the cost of getting there is either footed by you or taken out of your paycheck.~

Old 06-08-2014, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlKaMyst View Post
It is best to go into this sort of situation without any expectations. Why? Because of you do, you will be miserable. People are never exactly what we want them to be.

However, Northern California has a environmental attitude and recycling and health food is common. Maybe not in the majority, but enough that it is noticeable.
In your situation, I am guessing it is sort of like the military, as in there will be people coming from all over. That means that there will be all kinds of different personalities/attitudes/habits.

Best thing you can do, get used to it.
Mostly great advice, thanks!~ ^_^
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California