Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 03:06 PM

17 posts, read 49,392 times

Advertisements

I am new to this website and love the topics and discussions on it. I especially enjoy the "pithy" comments left by people. In my eyes, political correctness is a lack of integrity. Say what you feel but be tactful about it. Now, on to the subject of this post. I'm interested in the many ideas and solutions people have to solve the problems that plague and infest Native Americans, both on and off the reservation in South Dakota. A little background on myself; I am from Rapid City, South Dakota, I grew up poor, I'm Oglala Lakota, I have lived at the Cornerstone Rescue Mission in Rapid City, I have been arrested a number of times there, I abused alcohol, never got into drugs though, have several children out of wedlock with different mothers, quit jobs due to partying, have extreme alcoholism and drug abuse in my family and in all my friends families, never was in a gang, have been jumped several times, all my family is from Pine Ridge, lived in Sioux Falls and worked at the Morrell plant there, also worked at the former Federal Beef in Rapid City, 8th grade was the highest level of education I completed. You could almost take any Native male in South Dakota and put this characterization, and in some cases much worse, to him. My life now, 1000% different. 360 degree turn around. I will tell my success story, but first, I want to hear what everyone else has to say.

Old 06-10-2008, 03:25 PM

19,723 posts, read 10,499,488 times
welcome to the forum
Thank you for serving our country & defending my freedom ......

Old 06-10-2008, 03:26 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,718,728 times
I think the best way to help Native Americans is to encourage them to get off of the reservations, get them interested in an education and a career that they are passionate about, and help them achieve that goal. Many teens stay on or near the reservation and are completely unaware of what a BIG world there is out there. They often lack encouragement due to abusive or alcoholic family circumstances.

There are several other possible solutions but that is the main one that I believe in.

Old 06-10-2008, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBanany View Post
I think the best way to help Native Americans is to encourage them to get off of the reservations, get them interested in an education and a career that they are passionate about, and help them achieve that goal. Many teens stay on or near the reservation and are completely unaware of what a BIG world there is out there. They often lack encouragement due to abusive or alcoholic family circumstances.

There are several other possible solutions but that is the main one that I believe in.
I think the best way to help inner city youths is to encourage them to get out of the ghettos......I think the best way to help people from Appalachia is to get them out of the mountains.....I think the best way to help the small town west Texan is to get them to a larger city....By know means, DannyBanany, am I trying to poke fun at your comment. I agree, in idea, with you. You see though, how this idea can be put with anyone. If you look at this way, how feasible does it sound?

Old 06-10-2008, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msj.1_78 View Post
If you look at this way, how feasible does it sound?
Sounds pretty good to me. If it works for kids in the ghetto, kids in the Appalachians, and kids in 3rd world countries why can't it work for kids on the reservations?

The best thing I can do to prevent myself from becoming a broke blue-collar worker at some factory here in Rapid City is to get an education and live somewhere that has good paying jobs in a career field of my choice. That's pretty much how it works. If you want to be a successful contributor to society, you get an education and make it happen. I am 1/8 Rosebud Sioux and I have received various grants from the tribe towards my education. I am sure that another person who lives on the reservation is just as -if not more- capable of obtaining the same grants. I can't think of a better solution...

Old 06-10-2008, 03:59 PM

Default Thank You

Quote:
Originally Posted by debey View Post
welcome to the forum
Thank you for serving our country & defending my freedom ......
Thank you so much for your support!!!

Old 06-10-2008, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Sounds pretty good to me. If it works for kids in the ghetto, kids in the Appalachians, and kids in 3rd world countries why can't it work for kids on the reservations?
That is the thing, though, it would work. It isn't happening though. If I told a bunch of families to move to Rapid City, what happens......nothing. No money to move, just to name only one reason. The problems, what are the problems that are faced in your opinion?

Old 06-10-2008, 04:07 PM

I think the largest problem on the reservations is lack of motivation and support. Smart kids end up getting into alcohol and drug use, the "rap" lifestyle, and they think that being smart and being into something worthwhile is lame. Some are just comfortable.

Old 06-10-2008, 04:07 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,451,343 times
OK, I'm missing something in your post and would like it clarified~are you a Veteran? That could change a lot of things.

Old 06-10-2008, 04:11 PM

Quote:
I think the largest problem on the reservations is lack of motivation and support. Smart kids end up getting into alcohol and drug use, the "rap" lifestyle, and they think that being smart and being into something worthwhile is lame. Some are just comfortable.
Your absolutely correct. The thing is though, the smart ones leave, not stay. Without their success as a model, or standard to guide the others, they have good ol' Dr. Dre, and numerous other rap artists to "teach them" the real life. It's not really the music though. I remember when it was Rock and Roll. It's whatever is in at the time. Whatever is mainstream.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota