Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2014, 05:53 PM

3,049 posts, read 4,547,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
I'm talking about real riots that involve deaths and major destruction, not angry hipsters breaking some store windows.
Oakland...that place where the gangsters burn "donuts" on the freeway at rush hour and block traffic.
Oakland...that place where they are so broke that they don't have a functional police department.
Oakland...that place with the highest robbery and homicide rates in the state of California.
Yes, lovely Oakland
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2014, 09:45 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,663,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
Oakland...that place where the gangsters burn "donuts" on the freeway at rush hour and block traffic.
Oakland...that place where they are so broke that they don't have a functional police department.
Oakland...that place with the highest robbery and homicide rates in the state of California.
Yes, lovely Oakland
All true but that has nothing to do with the race wars and riots that have occurred in LA that I was referring to that have never really been an issue or happened in Oakland. This thread was about race and not how ghetto cities were correct?

Old 06-18-2014, 06:47 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,607,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
All true but that has nothing to do with the race wars and riots that have occurred in LA that I was referring to that have never really been an issue or happened in Oakland. This thread was about race and not how ghetto cities were correct?
Never been an issue in Oakland?

Oakland riots | The Weekly Standard

Asians cry 'hate crime' fueling Cal. black-Asian racial tensions | theGrio

Why is OUSD only 8% white while the city is 25% white? Why are schools in Rockridge and Temescal mostly black? That suggests some definite racial issues. Oakland is as racially obsessed as L.A. is. The only difference is that Oakland doesn't have the black vs. Latino issues that L.A. has.

Don't get me wrong Oakland is a very culturally rich place and has a lot going for it but denying its problems is not doing it any favors.

Old 06-18-2014, 07:12 PM

70 posts, read 96,279 times
If you move to that island where that guy on where Tom Hanks lived on "Cast Away" you and girl will be fine.

Old 06-18-2014, 07:12 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngleafley View Post
I have never been to the bay area but it seems to me like the kind of place where a couple like my girlfriend and I would receive issues. The reason I say this is because I have read a lot about how in san fran you see white men date all races but white women rarely go interracial that often
I can only speak for myself, but I'm a white woman (Jewish/redheaded) in the Bay Area who mostly dates non-white men, and have NEVER been given a hard time over it. Nobody even notices, let alone cares... so I'm not sure who told you this, but at least in my experiences it hasn't been an issue.

Old 06-19-2014, 09:36 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,663,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Never been an issue in Oakland?

Oakland riots | The Weekly Standard

Asians cry 'hate crime' fueling Cal. black-Asian racial tensions | theGrio

Why is OUSD only 8% white while the city is 25% white? Why are schools in Rockridge and Temescal mostly black? That suggests some definite racial issues. Oakland is as racially obsessed as L.A. is. The only difference is that Oakland doesn't have the black vs. Latino issues that L.A. has.

Don't get me wrong Oakland is a very culturally rich place and has a lot going for it but denying its problems is not doing it any favors.
Like I already said, I'm talking about "real" riots that involve major death and destruction, not hipsters breaking store windows. Oakland has never seen anything remotely close on the scale of and close to the severity of what LA has when it comes to riots and race wars/racial tensions and that was my point. Oakland isn't some utopia when it comes to race but nowhere in the Bay Area comes close to what LA has experiences as far as racial tensions and violence. You really want to compare some Oscar Grant "riots" (lol) to the LA riots or Watts riots? No one is denying Oakland's problems, but you are delusional if you think it's on par with LA when it comes to that.

Old 06-19-2014, 01:29 PM

643 posts, read 918,082 times
Seriously move anywhere in california and youll be fine. NO racism here!

Old 07-01-2014, 04:07 AM

172 posts, read 274,470 times
I was going to say the Bay Area but you have already addressed that. Especially Oakland. The Bay is like the epicenter of liberalism.

Old 07-01-2014, 08:11 AM

1,148 posts, read 1,572,982 times
Never heard or seen any racism in this manner in the bay area. Of course I am a white male and I acknowledge that it can happen anywhere, but I think your friend was way, way off in his opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California