Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2014, 03:06 PM

89 posts, read 131,985 times

Advertisements

I'm only 16 and started reading about economy in the world and especially about California since hopefully in the future I'll move there and work at my uncle's truck company, but as I've read online the economy is pretty bad: The 10 Cities With The Highest Unemployment Right Now - In Photos: The Cities With The Highest and Lowest Unemployment Rates Right Now - Forbes here is Forbes' top 10 cities with highest unemployment rates and 8 out of 10 cities are from California, and California's unemployment rate is 7.4%, one of the highest in the USA. Also, California's house prices are one of the most expensive in the USA according to Trulia: US Home Prices and USA Heat Map - Trulia Real Estate Search - Trulia.com and the median household income is lower than other states. Do you think economy is getting better or worse ? Will the unemployment rates drop or not ? Will house prices keep raising or not ?I apologize for any grammar mistakes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2014, 03:43 PM

21,741 posts, read 16,361,136 times
My kids all asked the same kinds a questions when they were your age. They weren't focused on social media, games, dating, skateboarding, sports, fishing, going to the mall, spraying graffiti, smoking weed in the alley, sneaking beers, working on cars or motorbikes - none of that. Just analyzing the range of variations in the national economy.

I told 'em the same as I'll tell you: don't bother with California. It's full of trolls.

Old 07-20-2014, 05:08 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,847,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
My kids all asked the same kinds a questions when they were your age. They weren't focused on social media, games, dating, skateboarding, sports, fishing, going to the mall, spraying graffiti, smoking weed in the alley, sneaking beers, working on cars or motorbikes - none of that. Just analyzing the range of variations in the national economy.

I told 'em the same as I'll tell you: don't bother with California. It's full of trolls.
Sorry the kids missed out on all the fun stuff. As for trolls..they just appear on CA forums, not necessarily throughout the state. We only have so many bridges.

Our economy is fine, btw.

Old 07-20-2014, 05:15 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,825,905 times
The economy depends on what sector you work in in this state.

If you work in tech or health care your doing great right now.
If you work in anything else the economy is in the toilet, you are most likely unemployed or under employed. This is especially true if you live outside of the Bay Area.

People who live in the Bay Area will tell you how great everything is, but they never travel to other areas of the state where unemployment is still near 10%. It is like fly over country as the better off go to Lake Tahoe or Yosemite for a vacation.

Old 07-20-2014, 05:18 PM

2,821 posts, read 3,539,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrini View Post
I'm only 16 and started reading about economy in the world and especially about California since hopefully in the future I'll move there and work at my uncle's truck company, but as I've read online the economy is pretty bad: The 10 Cities With The Highest Unemployment Right Now - In Photos: The Cities With The Highest and Lowest Unemployment Rates Right Now - Forbes here is Forbes' top 10 cities with highest unemployment rates and 8 out of 10 cities are from California, and California's unemployment rate is 7.4%, one of the highest in the USA. Also, California's house prices are one of the most expensive in the USA according to Trulia: US Home Prices and USA Heat Map - Trulia Real Estate Search - Trulia.com and the median household income is lower than other states. Do you think economy is getting better or worse ? Will the unemployment rates drop or not ? Will house prices keep raising or not ?I apologize for any grammar mistakes.
The economy is fine thanks to technology, tourism, trade and the resurgence of construction. However, we still have the highest number of people living in poverty in the country, the highest unemployment rates in the nation and some of the highest home prices and cost of living in the country, 1/3 of the people living here can't afford to buy a home.

Old 07-21-2014, 12:45 AM

2,518 posts, read 2,059,243 times
First off, if you really are 16 I commend you for having an interest in economics. If you attend college, you may have manditory courses in Micro- and Macro- Economics, and that will really give you a better sense of how thing interrelate.

Some industries ROCK and some industries SUCK. No amount of pep talk or discussion or asking around will help a buggy-whip manufacturer once the automobile became the "new thing".

Secondly, understand the unemployment "rate" is a form of propaganda. It only counts people who are actively LOOKING for work and reporting their weekly status to the EDD agency. People who take a part-time/seasonal job, when they really need full time/permanent, are not counted. People who have exhausted all their benefits drop out of the counting (i.e., looking for work for 2 years). In my opinion, if the TV news reports the unemployment rate as "7.4%", in reality it's probably closer to "12.0%"

Thirdly, California represents one of the largest and most vibrant economies in the world. There will always be haters, and disgrunted trolls gnashing their teeth outside the castle walls.
If you think your chances are "better" in Arizona, Texas, South Dakota, or Vermont, go there. It's a free country.

Old 07-21-2014, 01:58 AM

Thank you for your answers.
@SUPbud: I didn't mean to sound rude like "California is a bad place and people are poor bla bla" I was just asking if there's still hope for people like me who would like to move there as a teenager and work, since right now I have an uncle who owns a truck company so I believe I'll work for him in the future, but I was just wondering if let's say you're a regular person in LA you can still have a decent life.

Old 07-21-2014, 03:06 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,847,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrini View Post
Thank you for your answers.
@SUPbud: I didn't mean to sound rude like "California is a bad place and people are poor bla bla" I was just asking if there's still hope for people like me who would like to move there as a teenager and work, since right now I have an uncle who owns a truck company so I believe I'll work for him in the future, but I was just wondering if let's say you're a regular person in LA you can still have a decent life.
For those who want to work and enjoy life...yes. For those who want a McMansion for an entry level sitting-in-a-chair job and complaining about it on CD...maybe not.
Come on in and enjoy CA!

Old 07-21-2014, 03:23 AM

2,518 posts, read 2,059,243 times
@Adrini
your ability to work is restricted in number of hours/days until you are 18, aside from whatever VISA/work permit requirements may exist:
Foreign Worker Visa - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Do you intend to seek naturalized US citizenship? Or be a Resident Alien?

Your expectations about income and standard of living will wildly affect what makes up 'a decent life'. Officially, I recommend you go to school, learn a trade, and get some employable skills. I wouldn't depend too greatly on your uncle's favor, which may run out one day.

Old 07-21-2014, 08:14 AM

@bigdumbdgod Nope, I actually like the ordinary life, going to work, coming home, buying groceries and all of that, as long as I have a roof on my head, food on the table and clothes on my back, I'm happy. If I also happen to enjoy the job that I'll do, that's even better!
@SUPbud I won't be workin in LA before 21 anyway, you need to be at least 21 to have access to drive in another states as a truck driver, plus, I'm going to finish high school at 19 years old since it's 5 years here instead of 4.
I do intend to become an american citizen one day and of course I'll also keep studying IT Tech, since I love computers, but at home I also like to study things about economics, simply because money surrounds us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
View detailed profiles of: