Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2014, 03:31 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,512,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawk4440 View Post
Tulemutt & Ruth:

The growth problem isn't as bad as looks on the surface: the reason California's economy/population is growing is because the other states nearby are so terribly managed. It's the same reason why densely-populated countries like France are desirable destinations and sparsely populated places like Somalia are not.
This is my favorite post of the day.

Old 08-17-2014, 08:50 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,090,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawk4440 View Post
The growth problem isn't as bad as looks on the surface: the reason California's economy/population is growing is because the other states nearby are so terribly managed. It's the same reason why densely-populated countries like France are desirable destinations and sparsely populated places like Somalia are not.
Many states have higher population growth and as a result higher per capita economic growth.

Somalia isn't sparsely populated, for example Canada has much lower population density. India's population density is much higher than France so I guess it must be a more desirable destination.

The size of California's population reflects little about how the state is currently run, though it does say something about choices made decades ago but they are by no means the only factor.

Old 08-17-2014, 10:24 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,700,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
California adds more than 27,000 jobs in July - LA Times
Damn shame. When will it end! (Rhetorical - no need to answer)
While a link to the right shows

Loss of mid-wage jobs hampers state's growth

This is the best part of the article...

Quote:
Economists generally consider mid-wage jobs to pay between $15 and $30 an hour in California — encompassing a third of workers in the state. Those at the top end of that range, which amounts to about $60,000 a year, earn more than 72% of Californians.
Quote:
Middle-wage stagnation can damage consumer spending, dent career mobility, stall home buying and exacerbate a poverty rate that's already the highest in the country, economists warn. Those concerns are amplified in a state notorious for a high cost of living.

Old 08-18-2014, 02:48 AM

528 posts, read 867,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
It isn't necessary to read the article: you have said they lead the nation: end of story, it isn't quite accurate. Add to that the size and population of CA. plus what kind of jobs are being added and what about Cisco, about to lay so many off? I really am not sure, at this stage, Californians have much to brag about; maybe in a few years it will be different. Oh and what is the unemployment rate in California right now?

I am certainly not here to blast California, but I think it is important to not take everything at face value without further research.
100% true. CA does not have the job growth these articles are saying. Its only blowing more smoke up everyones A__.

Old 08-18-2014, 10:53 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Open mouth, insert foot:

^^^From the article that wasn't necessary to read. Your research was staring you in the face!
btw, I did read the article, but it wasn't necessary to realize in every study or chart, there are holes. I actually read the article before I commented. Maybe it would be better to say, you read into reports what you want to and that is the case with this study; some will see one thing, some another.

Old 08-18-2014, 09:13 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,394,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
btw, I did read the article, but it wasn't necessary to realize in every study or chart, there are holes. I actually read the article before I commented. Maybe it would be better to say, you read into reports what you want to and that is the case with this study; some will see one thing, some another.
Nice try but I did not come down with the last drop of rain nita. You very clearly said "retail hell jobs" when clearly the article stated otherwise. You either didn't read the article, or you haven't the foggiest idea what sorts of jobs education, health care and professional really are.

Old 08-19-2014, 11:34 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,768,929 times
Lets look at the facts.

California Labor Force (working population) is decreasing in numbers with less people working or looking for work today than 6 months ago, and increasing in numbers in Texas. Lets look at 3 key indicators key indicators.

Manufacturing: California has decreased every month compared against the year ago figures. Texas, increasing at a rate much faster than the rate California is losing manufacturing jobs every month.

Financial Activities: California has lost employees as Texas is gaining employees in this key field.

Total non farm employment employment: Texas is growing at a considerably faster rate than California.

California Economy at a Glance

Texas Economy at a Glance

California Companies are doing one of two things.

1: Fleeing the state such as Toyota just did.

2: Opening new facilities in states other than California such as Apple is doing.

They are leaving the state as it is 20% to 50% cheaper to operate in other states, than it is in California due to super high taxes, and cost to do business. That extra money goes on the bottom line, and makes them more competitive than being in California. This is one reason, that California manufacturing jobs are decreasing in number.

California is losing middle class population who flee the state to go where the jobs are going. These middle class are being replaced by immigrants especially illegal immigrants from south of the border and the Orient. This is a major reason California has the highest poverty rate in the nation, using 30% of all poverty funds in the country with only 12% of the population.

Sure California is hiring a lot more people, but for what. As it has been known for a long time, about 2/3rds of all new jobs are low paid and/or part time.

Old 08-19-2014, 11:45 PM

21,739 posts, read 16,356,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
Lets look at the facts.
Let's look at the fact that no one cares about your babble anymore.

Old 08-20-2014, 01:50 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,768,929 times
The truth hurts, doesn't it.

Old 08-20-2014, 06:45 AM

21,739 posts, read 16,356,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
The truth hurts, doesn't it.
Not what you call the truth. No. Not a bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California