Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2015, 11:29 PM

543 posts, read 943,695 times

Advertisements

Hey guys,
If you look at my recent post history I am going through a massive change in my life. A positive change.
Anyway one thing I never learnt is driving. I am 30 and cannot drive though I have started lessons this week.
My instructor told me point blank: it will take time in your case, you are anxious.

I want to make movies. I am a budding director.
Let's put it bluntly: how important is it to drive if I want my career based in California(I have relatives in San Fran, LA, and I love the whole big sur coastline).

In NYC it wasn't that big a deal. Infact there were others who couldn't drive.
I will give it my 200 percent but just to know...are there alternatives? Google car, trains, uber
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2015, 11:31 PM

2,821 posts, read 3,538,346 times
What part of CA? Its a huge state...

Old 01-08-2015, 11:38 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
It's not too big a deal in the SF Bay Area. In some respects, owning a car and driving can be a liability. Traffic is insane, there can be difficulties finding a parking space, and cars aren't safe in some areas. What kind of work do you plan to get, and where do you hope to get it? At some point, when you're doing well enough financially and career-wise, you should get a car. If you want people to take you seriously as a director.

Old 01-09-2015, 12:50 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,843,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
you should get a car. If you want people to take you seriously as a director.
Especially in L.A.

Old 01-09-2015, 01:45 AM

Location: SF Bay Area, aka, Liberal Mecca/wherever DoD sends me to
713 posts, read 1,081,936 times
As my father said to me growing up: "here in California, if you don't have a car, you are screwed."

Old 01-09-2015, 07:15 AM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
The only area where it is relatively easy to manage without a car in California is the SF Bay Area. So if you are planning on living anywhere else in California you should learn how to drive.

Old 01-09-2015, 09:25 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,456,964 times
Actually there are a lot of famous people who never learned to drive, and some of them even in places like L.A… unfortunately these days it's a "catch 22", where you'll almost certainly have to learn to drive, in order to reach the point where you can afford to have someone else ferry you around!

BTW, just because you may have to drive a car, doesn't mean you always have to own one.

The 12 Alternatives To Owning A Car That Convinced Me To Sell Mine

Old 01-09-2015, 09:27 AM

5,381 posts, read 8,688,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi85 View Post
Hey guys,
If you look at my recent post history I am going through a massive change in my life. A positive change.
Anyway one thing I never learnt is driving. I am 30 and cannot drive though I have started lessons this week.
My instructor told me point blank: it will take time in your case, you are anxious.

I want to make movies. I am a budding director.
Let's put it bluntly: how important is it to drive if I want my career based in California(I have relatives in San Fran, LA, and I love the whole big sur coastline).

In NYC it wasn't that big a deal. Infact there were others who couldn't drive.
I will give it my 200 percent but just to know...are there alternatives? Google car, trains, uber
With rare exception, you need a car in CA. I also lived in NYC, but gave my car away after I got tired of alternate-side-of-the-street parking, and sometimes parking so far away that I actually had to take a taxi home. I also hated having to dig my car out after a snow storm. I was fine there without a car, but couldn't imagine living here without one, even though CA is a huge state and things vary.

My advice is to relax and just take your time learning to drive.

Old 01-09-2015, 11:13 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
Outside of the city of SF you would probably want a car overall and even then some of the outer parts of the city aren't that great to live without one IMO. Most of the rest of the Bay Area is pretty sprawly and car oriented.

Old 01-09-2015, 05:13 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,546,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
It's not too big a deal in the SF Bay Area. In some respects, owning a car and driving can be a liability. Traffic is insane, there can be difficulties finding a parking space, and cars aren't safe in some areas. What kind of work do you plan to get, and where do you hope to get it? At some point, when you're doing well enough financially and career-wise, you should get a car. If you want people to take you seriously as a director.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
Especially in L.A.
And for LA not just any car. Remember: Image is what counts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California