Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2015, 12:39 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbell75 View Post
Meh, property taxes are chump change compared to the money I'd save on state tax personally and taxes for my business.
So you're leaving when to start reaping those wondrous savings in your newfound Utopia?

I didn't realize that paper routes were so horribly taxed in CA. They certainly weren't when I was a young teen.

Hmm! Wonder if new tubes for my bicycle were tax deductible back in the dark ages.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2015, 02:57 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,563,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post
Shame on you for stereotyping plumbers! You liberals are such hypocrites
That's special.

Old 01-02-2015, 04:09 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
The homeowners exemption reduces the assessable rate, however, so the purchase price of the home isn't exactly the assessed value. Even so, the highest rate in California is less than half what you'd pay for like property in Texas, and there's no Prop 13. And when you're having to hand over nearly $10K every year just to live there, that super affordable home doesn't look so super affordable anymore.

Not that I'm trying to talk anyone out of moving there....heh.
Just ran the number on my tax for a modest home in Oakland California and my rate is a little over 1.6%... and I pay a little over $9,000.

I had no idea Texans are paying over or almost a 3.333 tax rate.... scary because that would mean my 598k home with Texas rates would be $18,000

UPDATE****

I just checked and the average Texas Property Tax Rate is 1.81% which is slightly more than my rate of 1.63%

http://www.tax-rates.org/texas/property-tax

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 01-02-2015 at 08:16 PM..

Old 01-02-2015, 04:13 PM

21,738 posts, read 16,350,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Just ran the number on my tax for a modest home in Oakland California and my rate is a little over 1.6%... and I pay a little over $9,000.

I had no idea Texans are paying over almost a 3.333 tax rate.... scary because that would mean my 598k home with Texas rates would be $18,000
Yeah. How about them apples? Pay off your house in Texas and look forward to $1500 dollar a month tax payments that continue to rise for life. Speaking of paying for your home about 3x over.

Old 01-02-2015, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
When title is transferred, the taxes are based on the assessed value which is the purchase price less exemptions.
Not exactly... Prop 13 makes no reference to the price paid... it is very specific in that it says the value at the time of transfer... also only a homeowner can claim the $7500 exemption and they have to file for it.

I bought a home that needed work... it was listed and stayed on the MLS for several months... the assessor came up with a value 40% more than I paid... I appealed and we went back and forth and had several assessor visits... in the end... we both agreed to a stipulated value that was 7% higher than my purchase price.

The home had flood zone problems and while it looked great... all the nearby comps sold for a lot more because they were not in the flood zone and a flood zone that had flooded this home twice!

Old 01-02-2015, 04:27 PM

2,645 posts, read 3,330,591 times
Quote:

I had no idea Texans are paying over almost a 3.333 tax rate.... scary because that would mean my 598k home with Texas rates would be $18,000

UPDATE****

I just checked and the average Texas Property Tax Rate is 1.81% which is slightly more than my rate of 1.63%

Texas Property Taxes By County - 2015
Here is a listing for a home for sale in Austin. If you click on the "Property History" tab, it shows you the actual tax history on the property, including the assessed value and the taxes paid. Based on this, your original estimate of $18,000 is closer to reality. If you want to live in and around Austin, that is. That's the only area in Texas we had seriously looked into a number of years ago. I can't speak for other parts of the state which may be cheaper and thus bring the average down.

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...62-10706?row=2

There's currently a property tax thread on the Retirement forum right now which is rather interesting.

Old 01-02-2015, 04:31 PM

2,645 posts, read 3,330,591 times
Quote:
Not exactly... Prop 13 makes no reference to the price paid... it is very specific in that it says the value at the time of transfer...
I did not know this. I've owned three homes in California, two of them were new construction which is probably why the purchase price and the assessed value were equal. Didn't pay much attention to the 3rd, I admit.

Old 01-02-2015, 05:21 PM

1,156 posts, read 987,210 times
Quote:

UPDATE****

Texas Property Taxes By County - 2015
But as you know living in the good school districts is going to cost you more. Typically 2.2-2.5% in the Dallas area. In suburbs of Houston it is over 3%, plus they have MUD taxes which are similar to the Mello Roos in CA. 1.81% would be on the lower end in TX and 1.63% is on the higher end in Ca.

Old 01-02-2015, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR95 View Post
But as you know living in the good school districts is going to cost you more. Typically 2.2-2.5% in the Dallas area. In suburbs of Houston it is over 3%, plus they have MUD taxes which are similar to the Mello Roos in CA. 1.81% would be on the lower end in TX and 1.63% is on the higher end in Ca.
I do think Oakland's 1.63 is on the high side for California... seems the voters in my city and county are very generous when it comes to approving new taxes on property owners.

From the link posted... it does mention the 1.81% is the average for all of Texas.

I have friends in Austin and outside of Tyler... the ones in Austin are very vocal about how much they pay and the one in Tyler pays surprising little for his ranch... as in acreage, barns, corrals and two homes.

When it comes to good school districts it does get complicated in my Oakland CA city... the reason is Oakland has both top rated public schools and bottom rated schools... really the full spectrum, all in the same school district and under the same leadership...

My friends that live 15 minutes away in unincorporated county in California pay about 1.15% so another way to look at it is I pay a 50% premium on my property tax for the privilege of living in a big city like Oakland with part of that tax going to support the Oakland A's and Oakland Raiders and Oakland Warriors...

Old 01-02-2015, 08:53 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,458,803 times
^ ^ Interesting perspective. Having relocated from a large urban area to semi-rural Butte County, I definitely appreciate the lower taxes and homeowner's insurance here. Although nuthin's free, and it's easy to forget that we still 'pay' for that thru the lack of certain civic 'amenities", like proper sidewalks, street signs, and a more 'professional' level in local law enforcement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California