Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2015, 04:36 AM

21,736 posts, read 16,350,818 times

Advertisements

I bring my own sack wherever I go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2015, 06:12 AM

56 posts, read 61,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngmoney View Post
I thought I had arrived in paradise and would never leave. As many new arrivals, we are blinded by the light.

Soon, I saw the brokenness, chaotic government, and financial burden set in. The scenery starts to blend in with Anytown U.S.A. I became an entrepreneur in California and the amount of harassment by the DOL, FTB, and other boards was unbearable. Jerry Brown increased the income tax to the highest in the nation. The schools and business-friendliness are ranked last of all 50 states. I can't even go grocery shopping anymore without them telling me which types of bags to use.

Freedom is just another word for nothing left to lose. It was a famous song by Janice Joplin. But in California, there seems to be a law for everything.. free speech zones, permits for everything, taxes are sky-high, skateboard helmet laws.. you better do as the government says.

The infrastructure is crumbling. Have you drove in LA? Tried parking in SF?

Housing costs are high due to demand. I understand, but I am a saver. Sharing apartments and renting rooms while posting $100k on a tax return shouldn't be necessary.

I love CA and wish the problems would be fixed, but I can no longer take the abuse. I am now a Nevada resident and visited CA 11 times last year. Upon moving, my friends said, "Welcome back to America."
YOU ARE ONE SMART COOKIE

Old 01-28-2015, 06:21 AM

2,281 posts, read 3,034,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
There has been a growing level of inequality throughout the US, inequality isn't a California problem but a problem in the United States. I've not seen any data that shows that inequality is, in general, worse in California than in other states.
Really? Well then you haven't been looking very hard. Here is one set of data
List of U.S. states by Gini coefficient - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
There are others. Try using Google!

That one says that California is the 8th worst state in the USA for income inequality, but I will concede that your larger point is correct. There isn't a huge difference between the country as a whole and California as a state.

Old 01-28-2015, 07:02 AM

26,731 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Quote:
Freedom is just another word for nothing left to lose. It was a famous song by Janice Joplin.
Joplin's song (which she didn't write) was about life on the road, and her relationship with the fictional Bobby McGee, who wanted to settle down with her.

Quote:
But in California, there seems to be a law for everything.. free speech zones, permits for everything, skateboard helmet laws...
Those damn laws....they may even save a few lives.
Honolulu Star-Advertiser, Hawaii's news leader. - Helmet use urged after skateboarder's death - Hawaii News - Honolulu Star-Advertiser

Old 01-28-2015, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loaded_38_Special View Post
YOU ARE ONE SMART COOKIE
And that's the way the cookie crumbles.

Old 01-28-2015, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Joplin's song (which she didn't write) was about life on the road, and her relationship with the fictional Bobby McGee, who wanted to settle down with her.

Those damn laws....they may even save a few lives.
Honolulu Star-Advertiser, Hawaii's news leader. - Helmet use urged after skateboarder's death - Hawaii News - Honolulu Star-Advertiser
Yeah. I hear tell other states are now considering laws for various things and require for people to have permits for stuff. Looks like California has really started an eff'd up process for the rest of the nation!

Old 01-28-2015, 08:05 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,788,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Contrary to what some posters continue to claim, the droves fleeing the state are not wealthy or even upper middle class, but are poor, working class, and middle class. This was chronicled a couple years ago in the Wall Street Journal, and now has been confirmed further by an L.A. Times article which cites the cost of housing as the major factor driving Californians out of the state (no surprise).

California continues to be a decent state for the moneyed. For the have-nots, it's a different story.

California's high housing costs drive out poor, middle-income workers - LA Times
This is ridiculous!

The truly poor are the least likely to move, simply because they can't afford to, and especially with CA's welfare system being one of the most lucrative in the nation.

I'm probably on the lower end of the middle class spectrum, and I'll be moving to AZ soon. My CA home rent income will be my retirement fund.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Yeah. I hear tell other states are now considering laws for various things and require for people to have permits for stuff. Looks like California has really started an eff'd up process for the rest of the nation!
I don't know why other states use Cali as an example, when the law makers here are so bat$hit crazy.

Old 01-28-2015, 08:15 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,788,539 times
Quote:
I thought I had arrived in paradise and would never leave. As many new arrivals, we are blinded by the light.

Soon, I saw the brokenness, chaotic government, and financial burden set in. The scenery starts to blend in with Anytown U.S.A. I became an entrepreneur in California and the amount of harassment by the DOL, FTB, and other boards was unbearable. Jerry Brown increased the income tax to the highest in the nation. The schools and business-friendliness are ranked last of all 50 states. I can't even go grocery shopping anymore without them telling me which types of bags to use.

Freedom is just another word for nothing left to lose. It was a famous song by Janice Joplin. But in California, there seems to be a law for everything.. free speech zones, permits for everything, taxes are sky-high, skateboard helmet laws.. you better do as the government says.

The infrastructure is crumbling. Have you drove in LA? Tried parking in SF?

Housing costs are high due to demand. I understand, but I am a saver. Sharing apartments and renting rooms while posting $100k on a tax return shouldn't be necessary.

I love CA and wish the problems would be fixed, but I can no longer take the abuse. I am now a Nevada resident and visited CA 11 times last year. Upon moving, my friends said, "Welcome back to America."
This is exactly how I feel as well. EVERY year since Moonbeam came into office (which is crazy for those who lived through his crap in the 70s) they propose new taxes... and of course, they pass every time because the taking voters now outnumber the paying voters.

I love how he made claims after just one year that he had balanced the budget. Of course our budget is far from balanced, and they've begun to cut retirement benefits retroactively.

This place was once a piece of heaven, and I was lucky to be born and raised here. Now, not so much.

Old 01-28-2015, 09:00 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
Of course our budget is far from balanced, and they've begun to cut retirement benefits retroactively.
Who's "they've" and whose retirement benefits. The only ones Sacramento can really mess with are those state employees' retirements covered by CalPERS and I'm not aware of any retroactive cuts.

Old 01-28-2015, 10:25 AM

1,153 posts, read 4,559,266 times
Software engineer making six figures and I'm aggressively applying for jobs elsewhere. Believe I will be able to get out of here within a couple months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California