Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2018, 11:25 PM

2 posts, read 1,868 times

Advertisements

Southern California has the largest hispanic population in the United States.
Not by percentage, that crown would go to Puerto Rico (obviously), but in terms of sheer numbers, 4 million hispanics live in Los Angeles County alone, which is larger than the entire population of Puerto Rico.
In Orange County, there are 15 Spanish Radio Stations, and you tend to hear Spanish being spoken all the time in SouCal. Mexican restaurants also can be found everywhere throughout the area.

To those of you living in the area though, is the passion for soccer/football that is heavily prevalent in Mexico (and the rest of Latin America) also heavily prevalent among the large Mexican community in SouCal?
Are the Los Angeles Galaxy popular with this demographic, or any other soccer franchise in the area?

I did hear before that one city the MLS should expand to is Miami, since they'd be more accepting of a soccer franchise due to their large hispanic population down there.
However, SouCal has both a large hispanic population AND an MLS team. Can it's popularity of lack there of in SouCal prove anything for how it would work in Miami?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2018, 11:34 PM

545 posts, read 514,298 times
I think so, at least support for the two pro teams

If you drive around you will also see pick up and organized games at public parks. Nothing major, just like 10 or 20 guys kicking around

Old 06-02-2018, 11:30 AM

13,561 posts, read 10,364,797 times
Well, Sports Illustrated just had an article on El Tri, the Mexican national team, and its following in the USA. They'll play games at Levi's Stadium up here in Silicon Valley and fill the place up.

And fans aren't just 1st generation immigrants - seems like more than 2/3rds of them are American born, 2nd and 3rd generation.

Oh, and BTW, it's "SoCal" for Southern California.

Old 06-02-2018, 11:53 AM

8,943 posts, read 11,791,856 times
Yeah with the Asians, Mexicans, and illegals making up the majority here, their sport should be popular. I see it on Mexican TVs frequently. Why not. It's just one more sport to occupy the dumb American mind.

Old 06-03-2018, 01:18 AM

3,433 posts, read 3,758,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GulfCaptain View Post
Not by percentage, that crown would go to Puerto Rico (obviously), but in terms of sheer numbers, 4 million hispanics live in Los Angeles County alone, which is larger than the entire population of Puerto Rico.
In Orange County, there are 15 Spanish Radio Stations, and you tend to hear Spanish being spoken all the time in SouCal. Mexican restaurants also can be found everywhere throughout the area.

To those of you living in the area though, is the passion for soccer/football that is heavily prevalent in Mexico (and the rest of Latin America) also heavily prevalent among the large Mexican community in SouCal?
Are the Los Angeles Galaxy popular with this demographic, or any other soccer franchise in the area?

I did hear before that one city the MLS should expand to is Miami, since they'd be more accepting of a soccer franchise due to their large hispanic population down there.
However, SouCal has both a large hispanic population AND an MLS team. Can it's popularity of lack there of in SouCal prove anything for how it would work in Miami?
You are answering your own question and rambling so I don't even know what you're trying to ask.

Old 06-03-2018, 10:13 PM

817 posts, read 923,255 times
Soccer is an extremely popular participant sport in SoCal on both the youth and adult levels. Also the market is immense. MLS would have a market here with zero Latinos, though there will not be a way to prove that.

My daughter started playing soccer when she was 9 and still plays at 35. I didn't picture her playing soccer when she was little, not because she was a girl, but because I thought she was going to play basketball. She joined because one of her friends signed up. My son also played from age 6 to 11 and then switched to football. I also played in an adult league in SoCal with some other soccer parents.

MLS was in Miami at its inception.

Old 06-07-2018, 11:54 AM

1,424 posts, read 2,490,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GulfCaptain View Post

With the exception of Colombians, Miami's Latino population is mostly of Carribean descent. Carribean countries are ground zero for the recruitment of the next baseball superstar, and definitely baseball would be the national sport in any of those countries.

LA, and California in general, while having Latinos from all of Latin America, has a population where Mexican and Central Americans (El Salvador, Honduras, Guatamela, Nicaragua) clearly dominate. In these countries soccer is the national sport.

Latin Americans in the U.S. are a diverse community, and despite our share colonized language (Spanish, unless your Brazilian), it is best not to put us in one box.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California