Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2015, 06:53 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,555,130 times

Advertisements

First, this post is not meant to trivialize people's plights who have been devastated by the large wildfires burning out of control in central and northern California right now. My vacation plans in no way compare to what people who lost their homes and livelihoods are coping with. However, I could use some help, please.

My situation is this:

I'm supposed to go on a road trip next week that starts near the coast (Garberville), continues to Crescent City, Klamath Falls, then Chester (Mount Lassen), Lake Tahoe, and Mammoth. The smoke from the fires is streaming into the Owens Valley, and Lake Tahoe isn't much better (no ash, but lots of smoke). Honestly, I can't imagine going on a trip like this only to sit in a hotel room the entire time.

If you were me, how would you reroute the trip? The first part is fine, but maybe I should go back to the coast from Klamath Falls? Maybe I should just stay along the coast altogether and skip the Klamath Falls part, too? If I do go to Klamath Falls, should I go back to the coast, or should I go down I-5? I don't know what conditions are like around Mt. Shasta, for example. (I'm sure the Central Valley further down is smoky from the Valley fire.)

I realize that California is a huge state, and the smoke at any given time depends on the winds (or the lack thereof), etc.

My other option, of course, is to cancel the trip altogether for now and reevaluate in a month or two. Ideas??

Again, no disrespect is meant towards the victims of the fires, and I'm so sorry for what people have been through!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2015, 08:10 AM

1,199 posts, read 1,649,752 times
Stay on the coast. Go north or south.

Old 09-15-2015, 12:53 PM

194 posts, read 506,117 times
The current weather pattern is helping to disperse the smoke. Some rain tomorrow too. AQ values are much better today throughout the Klamath, Cascade, and Sierra towns.

Old 09-15-2015, 03:04 PM

17,639 posts, read 22,650,514 times
Imho, go visit the Awesome Jedediah Smith Redwoods near Crescent City...

Jedediah Smith Redwoods State Park

Enjoy a Jetboat Adventure on the Rogue River, leaving fom Gold Beach or Grants Pass.

http://www.roguejets.com/

Welcome to Hellgate Jetboat Excusions

Have much FUn.....

Drive Safely.....

Old 09-16-2015, 08:30 PM

1,722 posts, read 1,744,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Stay on the coast. Go north or south.
That's what i was thinking. I'd drive south on 1 and hit spots along the way that you like. Hang out in Big Sur for a time.
Stay on the coast and away from the trauma (and the smoke and ash) of the fires. Way too intense.
It's a good time to travel. Still warm but not too and it's after labor day so less tourists.

Old 09-17-2015, 06:45 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,555,130 times
Thanks, everyone, for the input. I canceled the Lake Tahoe hotel (they have a 7-day cancellation policy), but everywhere else it's a 24-hour policy so there's still time to evaluate the conditions. I'm glad it's the shoulder season, when everything is less crowded. It should be a good trip no matter where I go along the coast!

Old 09-20-2015, 09:47 PM

4,541 posts, read 12,409,026 times
I can't speak to smoke/ash problems, but I can suggest some alternate activities given the cancellation of your eastern leg. If you travel inland from Crescent City, and take I-5 south, consider the Ashland Shakespeare Festival (not all of the plays are Shakespearean). Their theater actually has a notable reputation.
https://www.osfashland.org/

I've got to ask, why are you traveling to Klamath Falls? You must have family there, because there ain't no falls in Klamath Falls. If you really do want to see a falls, go to Burney Falls. And if you keep the Lassen portion of the trip, it's right on the way.
McArthur-Burney Falls Memorial SP

Further south on I-5, Castle Crags State Park (if you don't make the Lassen detour)
Castle Crags SP

Dine in Mount Shasta. My parents always stopped at the Piedmont, but in recent decades there are far more options. I remember the Piedmont as having high quality Italian without have to pay for high cost atmosphere. It's good enough that marriage proposals are offered there, but not so expensive that you couldn't take the kids.

Oh, and from my time hanging out at the bar at the Piedmont, I would suggest either the Shirley Temple or the Roy Rogers. Apparently, these are the only two drinks they serve. Or so the bartender told me at the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California