Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2015, 05:52 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,546,803 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
What Californians don't seem to understand is even though Texas has higher property taxes you still come out ahead.

What would a similar house like the the ones in the above post cost here in CA?

Then add on all the other Micky mouse taxes that CA enforces. It's a no-brainer.
Yes, but the real problem with living in Texas, is living in Texas. Lovely weather, I hear and gorgeous scenery! But if money is the most important thing, then Texas it is!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2015, 05:58 PM

2,645 posts, read 3,330,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Yes, but the real problem with living in Texas, is living in Texas
Bingo!! To some, there are things more important than money and "stuff". For the others, there is Texas, LOL

Old 09-14-2015, 06:05 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,260,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Yes, but the real problem with living in Texas, is living in Texas. Lovely weather, I hear and gorgeous scenery! But if money is the most important thing, then Texas it is!
No the problem is people like you who make claims about a place you clearly don't know much about or have ever lived in. Stereotyping the entire State of Texas is just about as ignorant as stereotyping the entire State of CA. Texas is just as diverse as CA geographically, weather wise and people wise.

I find that most Californians are very ignorant of most other states.

Old 09-14-2015, 06:07 PM

1,570 posts, read 1,379,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
You're referring to pensions. Most of us in the private sector have to save for our own retirement. Roth IRAs, municipal bond funds, health savings accounts are all sources of retirement income that are not taxed on withdrawl.
Oh that's right. I forgot about those, but aren't you forced to draw out a certain amount that will then be taxed when you turn 70? My husbands IRA was taxed when he turned 70 and 1/2. Our CPA would tell us how much he had to withdraw to satisfy IRS every year. That amount was then taxed......not as much as our pensions though.

Old 09-14-2015, 06:13 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janellen View Post
Oh that's right. I forgot about those, but aren't you forced to draw out a certain amount that will then be taxed when you turn 70? My husbands IRA was taxed when he turned 70 and 1/2. Our CPA would tell us how much he had to withdraw to satisfy IRS every year. That amount was then taxed......not as much as our pensions though.
If you ever get tired of paying your CPA to tell you, you can get an accurate figure here:
401(k) and IRA Required Minimum Distribution Calculator | Investor.gov

Old 09-14-2015, 06:17 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
No the problem is people like you who make claims about a place you clearly don't know much about or have ever lived in. Stereotyping the entire State of Texas is just about as ignorant as stereotyping the entire State of CA. Texas is just as diverse as CA geographically, weather wise and people wise. I find that most Californians are very ignorant of most other states.
I have been to every major city in Texas, some of them several times and I can see no reason to return. Austin is nice, but it's as expensive as many parts of California so why would I leave California go there? Millions of people love Texas and that's great because California would be in real trouble if they all hated it and tried to move here. So can't we just defend the places that we think are great without claiming that people who disagree with you are ignorant?

Old 09-14-2015, 06:22 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,784,322 times
Quote:
Exactly and not everyone in Texas runs out and buys a big house like the posters here claim their CA friends unwisely did.

You can get a very modest house in Texas for a very good price.
It irks me when I hear people say, "Cost of living in other places are not that much lower than in CA because some people buy big houses when they move there, and end up paying a lot of money on property taxes." Statements like this are so illogical. So COL is high for the whole state because a few people choose to buy expensive houses? What about the people who choose to buy inexpensive houses?

I have a 1,700 sq/ft house in Houston that I bought in 2008 for $120K. The property is 25 minutes from downtown Houston where a lot of the good jobs are.

How much would a 1,700 sq/ft house that is 25 minutes from downtown LA, SF, or Silicon Valley cost? I am guessing around $500K. Clearly, CA lower property tax advantage is offset by much higher housing cost.

Old 09-14-2015, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I have been to every major city in Texas, some of them several times and I can see no reason to return. Austin is nice, but it's as expensive as many parts of California so why would I leave California go there? Millions of people love Texas and that's great because California would be in real trouble if they all hated it and tried to move here. So can't we just defend the places that we think are great without claiming that people who disagree with you are ignorant?
It's not all about you even though you always post as it is.

I can say though with the way you sport such a snarky attitude in many of your posts I would bet Texans thank you for leaving. We don't much care for that kind of attitude. That's why Texas is known for it's friendly helpful people. And CA is known for...well it's pretty obvious from many of the CA threads.

Last edited by Matadora; 09-14-2015 at 06:39 PM..

Old 09-14-2015, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
It irks me when I hear people say, "Cost of living in other places are not that much lower than in CA because some people buy big houses when they move there, and end up paying a lot of money on property taxes." Statements like this are so illogical. So COL is high for the whole state because a few people choose to buy expensive houses? What about the people who choose to buy inexpensive houses?

I have a 1,700 sq/ft house in Houston that I bought in 2008 for $120K. The property is 25 minutes from downtown Houston where a lot of the good jobs are.

How much would a 1,700 sq/ft house that is 25 minutes from downtown LA, SF, or Silicon Valley cost? I am guessing around $500K. Clearly, CA lower property tax advantage is offset by much higher housing cost.
You said it just right!

Quote:
Statements like this are so illogical.

Old 09-14-2015, 06:35 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,567,920 times
A house in Tyler, TX would at least QUADRUPLE in price if it were located in a city such as Tustin or Torrance thanks to decades of zoning restrictions and no-growth mandates from Sacramento's social engineering treehuggers who've essentially made TRULY affordable housing non-existent in large parts of the state, which certainly contributes to our worst in the country poverty rate, which should be impossible in a state with 5 of the top 25-30 universities in the nation within its borders.

Only the liberals could pull off that war on the middle class which is still in progress 30+ years and counting; they're just not middle-class friendly folks regardless of whatever comes out of their mouths.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California